Author Topic: Catch & Release Tips  (Read 944 times)

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
Catch & Release Tips
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I would like to get out on the ice since we have ice this year and I was wonder if you guys do anything different when releasing fish back to the lake?  Usually I try to revive a fish and let him rest before letting it go but not sure how to do that through the ice.  I would appreciate any tips you can share.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Catch & Release Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:29 PM »
The most important thing to do when it's cold is get the fish back in the water quickly otherwise the eyes and gills can freeze. Bring everything you need to the hole with you when you get a flag: pliers, jaw spreaders, camera etc. I even put the fish on a mat so they don't damage themselves flopping around on the ice. To revive the fish just hold them by the tail until they kick off, just like in open water.

Offline njcatchrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:34 PM »
The most important thing to do when it's cold is get the fish back in the water quickly otherwise the eyes and gills can freeze. Bring everything you need to the hole with you when you get a flag: pliers, jaw spreaders, camera etc. I even put the fish on a mat so they don't damage themselves flopping around on the ice. To revive the fish just hold them by the tail until they kick off, just like in open water.

Great, thanks for the advice.

Offline jimmythegreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:58 PM »
yup great advice from saxmatt.  rly important to not let the fish sit on the ice, their eyeballs can actually freeze right to the ice like the kids tongue in a christmas story.  your not rly fighting most fish and tiring them out, hold tail and release when kicked.  If you land a larger fish or on light tackle accidentally then you should be sure its good to go.  cold water is actually quite forgiving to fish, much better than open water mortality

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:23 AM »
the biggest issue is getting that fish back in quick, have a friend ready to take your picture quickly if it's a below freezing day.  If they are in freezing temps too long (possibly only a few seconds if it's cold enough) they may swim off and die soon after.  I won't even target big fish like muskie if it's below freezing when i'm by my self unless i'm ok not getting a picture of a monster should i land one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.