Author Topic: Automatic Fisherman for trout.  (Read 16114 times)

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
Automatic Fisherman for trout.
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:22 PM »
  I just picked up some of these rigs and plan on useing them in the shallow water for trout and salmon or what ever. Have any of you guys ever used them. Nice rig a fish hits your bait and trips it sets the hook home all you have to do is run and grab your rod out and the fight starts. Whats your thaught?

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Automatic Fisherman for trout.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:37 PM »
We have used homemade versions of a Slammer over here for years, mostly for steelhead.  Work great.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:21 PM »
ive seen them on youtube, they look good but never used one, let us know how it goes
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:09 PM »
 Im going to put them to the test Friday from what I seen about it it should be a blind fisher.

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I've built one similar to the slammer.  Never caught anything with it as the trigger was too heavy.  I've got the trigger on it pretty light now and will try again next week when I finally get to get out on the ice.

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:36 AM »
We have used homemade versions of a Slammer over here for years, mostly for steelhead.  Work great.

The slammers are hard to beat. The simple design makes for reliability on the ice. I didn't really see any advantage of the trigger device on the automatic fisherman, but can see some disadvantages. I'm sure the A.F. works & will catch fish, but to me it is just a knock off of a slammer. The only advantage is it comes with everything all set up for you.
Ron

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:34 AM »
  It works just fine I got a few herring with it yesterday.  I never seen a slammer untell the other day I say there about the same I like to make my own now. Any good tips?

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I was always under the impression that automatic rigs were illegal.  A rig that automatically strikes the fish ...... I can't see how it promotes sportsmanship.  Might as well use dynamite.  Maybe using traps with steel spring jaws would be legal in that case.

Why not rig up an electric winch to the automatic rig so that the fisherman could be doing something else and the fishing rig would strike the fish and reel it in for him.

Why not a gill net....a person could choose what size fish he would like to take home.  But, a gill net involves a bit of work while an automatic rig doesn't.

Anyway, if automatic rigs are legal where you live, it's ok with me but if I ever run across such a rig anywhere near me, I will find a way to accidentally destroy it with a snowmobile or something along those lines.  I am sure that I will not disappoint any real sports fishermen by doing this.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Anyway, if automatic rigs are legal where you live, it's ok with me but if I ever run across such a rig anywhere near me, I will find a way to accidentally destroy it with a snowmobile or something along those lines.  I am sure that I will not disappoint any real sports fishermen by doing this.

Wow are we missing something here have you seen the rig? There not much different from a tip up do you run them over also is so come on down fishen!! The set  up is like a tip up but you get to fight the fish with your rod. The are legal here in WI to use and to top it I am a pro sportsman and have tip ups and many jig poles to boot and a hand full of fast sleds many ice shacks and learned everything the hard way but Id have to say I would never run over run over or reck another anglers gear and call myself a real sportsman. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:41 PM »

Wow are we missing something here have you seen the rig? There not much different from a tip up do you run them over also is so come on down fishen!! The set  up is like a tip up but you get to fight the fish with your rod. The are legal here in WI to use and to top it I am a pro sportsman and have tip ups and many jig poles to boot and a hand full of fast sleds many ice shacks and learned everything the hard way but Id have to say I would never run over run over or reck another anglers gear and call myself a real sportsman. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Wow....a pro fisherman.  I guess that's the reason that you will use anything to catch more fish even though that means using something less sporting to do it.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Wow....a pro fisherman.

You got it for fishing 100% pro fisherman, pro hunter, pro outdoors, pro wildlife,pro traping why dont you take a look at the rig befor you put you tip up down your hole I think you are on the wrong fourm and ice fishing is very personal to me and has been for many years. Good luck and thank for you comments! ;D ;D

Offline goldenballs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:46 AM »

that setup is in my eyes is a copyright violation. those are a plastic version of the slammer tip up. slammers have been around for almost 15 years now. those automatic fisherman have only been around for a couple. ive seen those auto fisherman in action and dont like them for big fish. not enough give in the rod for light line fishing which causes many breakoffs. they are nifty rigs but they have been around for years.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I was always under the impression that automatic rigs were illegal.  A rig that automatically strikes the fish ...... I can't see how it promotes sportsmanship.  Might as well use dynamite.  Maybe using traps with steel spring jaws would be legal in that case.

Why not rig up an electric winch to the automatic rig so that the fisherman could be doing something else and the fishing rig would strike the fish and reel it in for him.

Why not a gill net....a person could choose what size fish he would like to take home.  But, a gill net involves a bit of work while an automatic rig doesn't.

And you frogs from quebec wonder why everyone from the states and the rest of canada don't like you and your attitudes - its not just because you are THE worst drivers on our roads, it is statements like this.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Those machines that are consciously made to automatically strike the fish when it bites are illegal in Canada.  Yes, a bent rod when using a downrigger does have a tendancy to strike the fish but the bent rod is inherent in it's conception.  Even sonars receive a bit of negative flack from some people....mostly when the first lcd screens became available but, sonars do not autmatically catch fish.

There have been a few local attempts at marketing or making available devices that automatically catch fish but they didn't last long after the authorities found out about them.

I doubt that any with "sportsmanship" would stoop to using such a device.  If they are legal in some areas, I'm surprised that serious hunting and fishing associations do not denounce their use.

Another method of fishing that is not allowed in Canada is "jug fishing" which is quite common for certain fish in parts of the U.S.

I don't know much about vehicle accidents....I've never had one but, I do admit that quebecers do not shine in that categorie.  But, hey!....it's only people we are killing.  No shortage of people that I know of.  It's natures way of culling the population.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Those machines that are consciously made to automatically strike the fish when it bites are illegal in Canada.  Yes, a bent rod when using a downrigger does have a tendancy to strike the fish but the bent rod is inherent in it's conception.  Even sonars receive a bit of negative flack from some people....mostly when the first lcd screens became available but, sonars do not autmatically catch fish.

There have been a few local attempts at marketing or making available devices that automatically catch fish but they didn't last long after the authorities found out about them.

I doubt that any with "sportsmanship" would stoop to using such a device.  If they are legal in some areas, I'm surprised that serious hunting and fishing associations do not denounce their use.

Another method of fishing that is not allowed in Canada is "jug fishing" which is quite common for certain fish in parts of the U.S.

I don't know much about vehicle accidents....I've never had one but, I do admit that quebecers do not shine in that categorie.  But, hey!....it's only people we are killing.  No shortage of people that I know of.  It's natures way of culling the population.

They are no less sporting than a tip-up.  If you had ever used such a device, you would know.  They set the hook.  WOW. That takes all of the sport out of it?  Not like it reels them in for you, then cleans them right there, then bags them and cooks them.  It is a way to use a rod and reel for something you would usually use a tip-up for.  Thats it.  Not like it is raping the lake. And it is legal here, and I won't use it up in Canada. 

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:26 PM »
that setup is in my eyes is a copyright violation. those are a plastic version of the slammer tip up. slammers have been around for almost 15 years now. those automatic fisherman have only been around for a couple. ive seen those auto fisherman in action and dont like them for big fish. not enough give in the rod for light line fishing which causes many breakoffs. they are nifty rigs but they have been around for years.

The action is the same as a "Slammer", but the trigger mechanism is different so I think that is how they get away with it.  I use a home-made version similar to the Slammer, but the trigger is based off the old style whip-up that was before anyone commercially produced them.  I have made quite a few, and played around with the trigger.  Not enough give in the rod for big fish?  With a Slammer or similar rig, you can use whatever rod you want. I use 4' UL panfish rods.  Caught alot of 10-12# steelhead through the ice with 6# line.  Haven't had any problem breaking fish off.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:07 PM »
They are no less sporting than a tip-up.  If you had ever used such a device, you would know.  They set the hook.  WOW. That takes all of the sport out of it?  Not like it reels them in for you, then cleans them right there, then bags them and cooks them.  It is a way to use a rod and reel for something you would usually use a tip-up for.  Thats it.  Not like it is raping the lake. And it is legal here, and I won't use it up in Canada. 

Well....striking the fish is about the most important part of fishing....along with getting fish to strike.  Since an automatic striking machine is legal, does that mean that unattended fishing lines are legal in the U.S. too?  Would adding the option of automatically reeling the fish still make it legal?  If not....why not?  Anybody can winch a fish.  It either gets off or gets boated no matter what the person does.  Yes, skill and good equipement does increase the chance of boating a fish.  I guess that means that an automatic striking machine is legal for tournament fishing too.

Since automatic striking machines are legal, why hasn't someone made a much more sophisticated machine.  A machine that a person (I won't say a fisherman) could dial in the amount of force so that the line would not break.  Maybe a spring wound or electric reel with dials to adjust the strike force and the amount of line to be reeled in so the fish cannot get tangled up in the weeds or cover.  Electric reels do exist already.  There are downriggers that automatically adjust the lures depth and/or move the lure up and down in the column of water.  As for casting, there are rods that launch lures.  With GPS technology, boats can be moved along predetermined trajetories....add a rod that launches a lure or an automatic downrigger that lowers a lure to the right depth, strikes the fish and reels it in....no need to fish the primitive way.  Ok....removing the fish from the lure may be a bit complicated for a machine but if the limit is 5 fish, why not 5 machines for catching fish?  When the rods have all done their job, the GPS system heads the boat to the dock.

Or....maybe....automat ic machines are not legal after all and no one has taken the effort to read the small print in the law books.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:17 PM »
 They are legal here in WI to use, jug fishing is not, and you can not use them unattended same go's for tip ups and rods 3 lines or three hooks only. I like useing my GPS it has saved me more times than I can say I mounted it right on my sled. Yet I still love reading the lake map best at home to find new spot to try all the time. When not on the ice I sure do enjoy trolling this Great Lake for trout and salmon and walleyes. I use down riggers in the heat of summer after trout fishing deep. I like to flat line and use snap weights on most days. Other day's I like to use a big jig and a chunk of cut bait and jig off the side of the boat. And the rest of the year is spent on the ice. We just did a show a few weeks back with the hook set tip up and there crew and asking about his set up and he built that tip up for catch and release so the second the fish takes the bait it dont have a chance to swallow it down and sets the hook. So far this season my automatic hook set has saved me a few bucks from haveing to buy my herring and white fish from the commercial fisherman to use for bait here. I fish with my pole in one hand and it right next to me. And I havent been fishing shallow to use my new hook set tip ups yet soon I hope.

Offline goldenballs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:23 AM »
The action is the same as a "Slammer", but the trigger mechanism is different so I think that is how they get away with it.  I use a home-made version similar to the Slammer, but the trigger is based off the old style whip-up that was before anyone commercially produced them.  I have made quite a few, and played around with the trigger.  Not enough give in the rod for big fish?  With a Slammer or similar rig, you can use whatever rod you want. I use 4' UL panfish rods.  Caught alot of 10-12# steelhead through the ice with 6# line.  Haven't had any problem breaking fish off.

i was referring to the automatic fisherman rig. not a traditional slammer rig. i use eagle claw 5' glass rods and love em. enough give for any size fish to fight on 6lb. including huge 20lb. random muskies ;D

Offline goldenballs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:27 AM »

how is a rig that automatically sets the hook any less sporting than trolling? i now see why its a dieing culture up there ::)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:01 PM »
I took a look at some of the devices that strike the fish.

Yes, the ones using the bent rod to strike the fish are in my mind legal.  They are legal in Canada too....so far.  They are doing exactly the same thing that a downrigger rod does when downrigging.  A bend in the rod is an inherent characteristic of a rod's action.  Using that bend to strike fish is just using the rod's action.

However, there is one where there is an elastic bungie cord attached to the end of the rod's handle (actually the rod holder) that automatically whips the whole rod upward.  This is not using the inherent properties of a fishing rod.  There are good grounds to debate such a rig.

Using an arm of metal or wood, a spring action or electrical device to suddenly pull the line to strike a fish on a tip up or a tip down is in my mind unsporting too.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:08 PM »
They are no less sporting than a tip-up.  If you had ever used such a device, you would know.  They set the hook.  WOW. That takes all of the sport out of it?  Not like it reels them in for you, then cleans them right there, then bags them and cooks them.

Now wartfroggy, I will say if you could get the thing to do the dishes I'm buying some!!!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Now wartfroggy, I will say if you could get the thing to do the dishes I'm buying some!!!

That model is very expensive, with lots of upkeep and unexpected mainenance!!!

Offline woody1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2009, 12:36 PM »
And you frogs from quebec wonder why everyone from the states and the rest of canada don't like you and your attitudes - its not just because you are THE worst drivers on our roads, it is statements like this.

Do you honestly think this statement was called for, should this type of assault be allowed?  I don't understand why people who have enough time to think before pushing the post button would allow other people to see this side of them.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Do you honestly think this statement was called for, should this type of assault be allowed?  I don't understand why people who have enough time to think before pushing the post button would allow other people to see this side of them.

Maybe you should read what he wrote.

One caustic, mordant quote gets an equally acerbic, scathing reply.

Offline woody1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2009, 04:13 PM »
  I agree, he stated an opinion that is not very acceptable, but he certaintly didn't make any racial or personal attacks.

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2009, 04:54 PM »
 Anyway, dabluz thought I was talking about some other rig in fact the one I was talking about is like a downrigger made here in Wisconsin. Some of the comments were a bit out there but thats just fishing I should have posted a picture of it before it got out of hand here.

All said and done now I put my rig to use today with some spawn on the bottom and my friend who I was fishing with landed a nice brown in 57ft. I like using the rig for catching herring that I use for laker bait. good luck guys.

Offline woody1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:35 PM »
  I'm glad you guys did well.  Tight lines Venom.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Here's my automatic fisherman. A Schooley rod and spring bobber. It out fished me again today, and I was a little put off that I actually had to set the hook, but it's a tough game we play ;) Good fishing everyone.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Yes....I looked over a few models of automatic rigs for fishing.  Yes, the models where a flexed rod (like a downrigger) is used are legal here in Canada too.  But there have been models that used pre-wound springs, motors, bungee cords etc and those are illegal in Canada.

A bunch of years ago, I saw a spring loaded hook.  This was not a homemade thing either...it was manufactured.  The way it worked was that there was a small baited hook linked to a trigger mechanism and when a fish bit the baited hook, he triggered a large spring loaded hook that slammed down on the fish (or up) and hooked it from the outside of it's mouth.  After the big hook was tripped, the harder the fish pulled, the harder the large hook would dig into the fish.  Very ingenious....very unsporting.

Also a bunch of years ago, (this was before jigs were popular) for walleye fishing, we used a lure called a Canadian Wiggler.  It's a lure shaped like a J-Plug and has a very erratic action that walleye love.  Anyway, this lure had a rear treble hook and at the belly, there were 2 treble hooks on small outriggers just like those found on the old Flatfish lures.  These outrigger hooks have been replaced with a single treble hook at the belly of the lure.  I haven't seen any outrigger hooks in a long time.  I guess that there were too many complaints concerning the use of these hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.