=
« on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:07 AM »
tr

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
Re: fussy lakers and char???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2006, 04:55 AM »
Dan, whern you say "Char" are you referring to Dolly's? In any case, I've never found either to be all that "fussy". They are either hitting or not usually. Have you tried fishing shallower or not down near bottom? In the past, when I used a sonar for locating, I seldom if ever marked the fish that were just down a little ways. I'd often be in 50-75 feet of water, but getting hit at just 8-10 feet down. My standard jig for lakers has never changed either. I always use a Rapala jig and in various flashy colors, but the firetiger seems to work the best on lakers. I just be sure to have some sort of a small hunk of fish on the center treble. I always put a larger treble on than what they come with too. I fish the jig in long lifts and drops, with a little "poping" action in between. Seldom if ever let the jig "rest" at all. They most always hit it either at the top of the lift or on the fall. They aren't alwsy "deep" either. Caught a lot of lake trout in 8-12 feet of water before, especially in low light. Best sizes for lakers was always
W-5 or W-7. Do you ever fish the rainbows or salmon at Birch or Quartz lakes?  -Jim

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Here in Colorado Lake Trout hug the bottom and generally do not chase lures much because there are no pelagic baitfish in Colorado Lakes that have mackinaw, with the exception of kokanee salmon in a couple lakes. So lake trout are largely scavengers in the winter and eat dead fish and also freshwater shrimp. They hit extremely light, about like a perch or lighter. Your line will just flick, go slack, or you will feel added weight when you lift your jig up. Finesse methods are generally mandatory in Colorado to ice lakers with any regularity.
I size down, using 2.5" white or chartreuse tubes tipped with a small piece of cut sucker or anchovy. If that doesn't work. I like a 1/8 ounce white marabou crappie jig, or a small foxee jig tipped with cutbait.
When lakers aren't actively chasing, try just barely jigging at all, and mostly letting your jig sit still, with subtle lifts and jiggles and long, long pauses. If they come up to a lure but leave without hitting, immediately drop the jig directly on the bottom and let it sit there. Often you will see your line start to move. If you don't see that in about 30 seconds, try lifting or reeling it up off the bottom. Often lakers will take the jig then. Also I would use a fluorocarbon leader when lake trout fishing for stealth.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:25 AM »
Dan, do you have a minnow trap? If so, those gravel ponds alongside the road between Fairbanks and North Pole used to be FULL of small suckers. We used to trap all we wanted there, then freeze them and use 'em dead, for lakers, pike.  Dry dog food makes good minnow trap bait. -Jim

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2006, 12:43 PM »
could the suspended fish be whitefish? try a small jig / bait

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Same as how you trap beaver in winter,...cut a hole big enough for the trap to go in, then bury it all in snow. Anyway, check all the small gravel ponds next summer when it's hot. Suckers will be visible, basking near shore then usually. Get em then even and freeze them, if need be?  -Jim

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:48 AM »
That sounds like a great summer job! Good luck with it. Where at, out of Homer? -Jim

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Sometimes lakers will chase a bait up and down the water column (when I say this in reference to colorado, it generally means from the bottom to 5 feet above the bottom, but in some lakes more and some lakes less. Lakers are bottom hugging). But anyway, they will just stare at a lure without hitting it, and chase it without hitting it. A good trick is, once it has chased it a bit, just let the jig free fall to the bottom. Oftentimes the fish will turn around, follow it, and pick it up off of the bottom. Pay attention! Lakers hit extraordinarily light. Added weight is common, especially on larger fish. Also, if you miss a strike, drop the lure below the laker. He will think that whatever he hit is wounded and will often hit it again for the kill. Remember, light bites. Good luck out there!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.