New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: February Ticks  (Read 5233 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: February Ticks
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I was diagnosed with Lyme  2 years ago, and I still don't feel 100% Sawyers is a must. It is a neurotoxin for them little *****s, also treats scabies.

Sucks Terry.  You should have seen Erica.  I was beside myself she was hurting so badly...

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Sounds like the pine bush ... ticks galore

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Sucks Terry.  You should have seen Erica.  I was beside myself she was hurting so badly...

Sounds horrible. Glad they were able to finally stop it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Same here.  Also I second Soresto for the pets.  Seems to work for our lab and the cats.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Good thread with lots of good info.  We back up to the woods and have deer in the yard every day and night.  Not unusual to have 3 or 4 on me after raking leaves.  Lost a black lab to Lyme disease (kidney problems) a couple of years ago.  I'm gonna look into some of those sprays.  Thanks guys.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:58 AM »
NYSDOH did tick surveys in the County Park that borders the Irondequoit Bay wetlands for a number of years a few years ago.  Sampling consisted of walking a transect while wearing a light colored "apron", then collecting the ticks.  Every walk yielded many ticks.  A friend who lives adjacent to Powder Mills Park had a daughter who tested positive when they finally convinced the Doctor to check, and they are constantly finding them.  All high deer population areas due to No Hunting in residential areas.

The latest issue of Adirondack Life has an article about ticks, according to NYSDOH all North Country counties yielded ticks and all pools were positive for Lyme.  This is no longer a problem for Eastern NY and Connecticut, it is all over NYS.  The article also says that due to the warm fall conditions, this spring will be particularly bad.   Too bad stink bugs can't be trained to eat Ticks!!!

AS soon as I menti9oned this to my Doctor on the last visit, he had the PA call the lab to see if they could run my blood samples for Lyme, he said for the amount of time I spend outdoors, it was logical to do it every time and he added it to my order form  for my regular work.  Too little is defined yet, and there are too many people suffering long term effects to not be vigilant. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:22 AM »
I can confrim it is very much a problem in CT.

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:12 PM »
I live in eastern Rensselaer county and I have already had one biting me on Tues and took one off my dogs face yesterday. I’ve had Lyme twice in past years. The tickss are out this early.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:37 PM »
bad here in Michigan too.last year my daughters school had to  have indoor recess the whole spring because the playground was full of ticks.counted 20 on the slide.had 3 crawling up my truck door in the 5 minutes I was there waiting to pick her up.i tested positive for lyme disease on 2 of the 3 test they do for checking lyme disease. I dont even want to look for morels anymore  because theres so many ticks.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Ticks do not actually get Lyme disease from deer, as is commonly believed—rather, ticks contract it as larvae when they feed on infected mice. Deer ticks are common to the eastern United States and earn their name for commonly feeding on white-tailed deer. The pests use other large mammals, like pets, livestock, and humans, as hosts, as well. Though considered accidental hosts for ticks

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:19 AM »

My daughter is a nurse in Oswego ny they had 4 cases of ticks this week  , but non were Lyme,

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:56 AM »
I raised whitetail deer for over 10 years, many of which were very tame, u could pet and scratch ears ect. And never once seen a tick on them. I constantly checked, and never seen any. Their hair in summer is very (oily ) so to speak, after petting for a while, your hand when u wash it was very tacky.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:06 AM »
east coast deer are full of ticks ,so is any animal that spends time in the outdoors here

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Anything for dogs?

I use the Advantix.  Haven't found a tick attached to my dog since I started using it 5 years ago.

Here's another tip, don't buy it from PetMeds or whatever they call themselves, buy it from Amazon and save yourself almost 60 bucks on a years worth.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I also had a lab whose kidneys shut down and died as a result of Lyme. Called lyme necrosis.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I have used the Sawyer product for many years until I came across Insect Shield ...now they have handy easy packs..I have several turkey hunting outfits treated .

https://www.insectshield.com/

https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wentworth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Insect shield.com is the only way to go,I have been using there clothing now for 5 years.I tell every one about them.I use there socks,pants and shirts or you can send your clothing to them also.Just from wearing there socks can reduce ticks by 60 or 70 %.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:57 PM »
get some sawyers tick spray it kills them dead. spray all your  hunting clothes and fishing let them dry and then its good for 6 washes. been using it for 5 years kills them dead. wal mart carries it i get mine at dicks bigger spray bottles. no more ticks on me or in me. not for the skin just your clothes.

This.  I treated all my hunting clothes this year with Sawyer's permethrin and never had a tick on me after.  Prior to treating I would sit on watch and flick them off my pants legs by the dozen.  They are horrible up here.

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:37 AM »
When i was a young man there was no tick problems never heard of em until the late 70s what caused the tick BOOM?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Back in the 70's my aunt and uncle lived in northport long island in a rurul area   and us kids were were always crawling with ticks biteing us..  But back then there was no emergency for medical treatment or antibiotics.  Just a little peroxide and a bandaid...    :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:52 PM »
https://www.healthspiritbody.com/lyme-disease-treatment/
 From the article above,one reason lyme is  so difficult to cure:
The culprit behind Lyme disease is Borrelia burgdorferi, a bacterial infection proven to respond most effectively to antibiotics doxycycline and amoxicillin.

However, Borrelia burgdorferi can exist in morphological forms, including spirochetes, spheroplast (or L-form), round bodies, and biofilms.  When conditions are considered unfavorable for the bacteria, it has the ability to morph into the dormant round body, then hide in a biofilm form. When conditions are favorable, however, it can shift back to its spirochete form.

While conventional antibiotics can treat some forms of the disease, they’re not effective in treating ALL forms, often times failing to produce a long-term cure. 
But, new research suggests a long-term treatment may be just around the corner.

A recent study published in the European Journal of Microbiology and Immunology revealed that stevia, a sweetener, and sugar substitute, has been found to terminate late state or chronic Lyme disease.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline bfelins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Ticks become active once the temperature rises above 32 Fahrenheit. Picking up ticks in the winter is not unusual.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I did not know that!

I found this very interesting

Ticks do not die off during the winter months. To survive the cold and snow, most ticks find shelter in leaf litter and are dormant until spring. However, adult deer ticks (black-legged ticks) remain active year round. You or your pet could pick up a hitchhiker anytime the air temperature is close to freezing or above and the ground isn’t frozen or snow covered. In freezing weather, deer ticks hunker down under the snow in leaf litter, on firewood or a tree trunk, and come out during warm spells. If you find a tick inside during the winter, it probably hitched a ride on firewood

https://www.canidae.com/blog/2015/06/how-weather-plays-a-role-in-tick-outbreaks/

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Oct 28, 2018, 09:02 PM »
 Good topic...bump

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I used to stop putting flea and tick on my dogs in the winter until a few years ago. He was bitten in January during a goose hunt and ended up with Lyme and Anaplasmosis, luckily he recovered but now they are treated 12months out of the year!

I read an article recently that expanded on the explanation of ticks NOT dying off in the winter, especially a brutal cold winter where they simply hunker down and "hibernate" until spring. It suggested that the best weather to combat ticks is actually a winter with lots of large temperature swings because they will deplete all of their energy emerging from the ground cover when its warm and then retreating when it gets cold again and this increased activity level actually kills more of them off sustained than freezing temps.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Oct 30, 2018, 12:54 PM »
In addition, ticks can carry 3 or 4 other serious diseases besides Lyme disease - - including one that makes you allergic to eating meat.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Went out back to sight my rifle in, six of the little buggers climbing up my pant leg.  I have two golden retrievers who both have been on doxycycline and have lymes disease.  It’s getting out of hand here in Syracuse.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.