Author Topic: Crappie on tip ups  (Read 2493 times)

Offline raider111

• IceShanty Rookie
Crappie on tip ups
« on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Has anyone had any luck catching crappies on tips? If so how were you setting them? Thanks. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline pituko

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Crappie on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:24 PM »
I have done it and it is really a blast.  I put a lantern on a pole about 6' above the ice so you could see well about 20 -30 ' out.  Then I drilled holes around the perimeter of the lighted area.  I put lightweight line on as a 2' leader, small hook, crappie minnow, set the tip-up so it takes nothing to trip it and run and set line when it goes off.  Its a blast when they are really hitting.  Sounds like I should do it tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:57 PM »
yah but never actually fished for them!!! i have one bay that when i have tip ups set for bass i always get a slab crappie, only problem is i can never get them to bite while jigging.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:43 AM »
I've pulled 1 crappie through the ice and it was on a tip up. a friend of mine got a 1 pound, 4 ounce fish on a tip up

Offline tipup71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Make sure your tip-up is set very light! We use homemade tip-ups set very light and sometimes they will run line without tripping the tip-up off!! It can get pretty busy the last hour before dark with tip-ups popping one after the other!   Rob
3 Dozen Shiners $10,5 Tipus $30,Flag Up!!!....Priceless!!!

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:45 AM »
I caught my biggest crappie through the ice with a tip-up.  I was fishing for bass but I will never complain about getting a 17 inch crappie. ;D   
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:18 PM »
tip ups work, but they have to be set so they have a hair trigger.  Some of my biggest crappies through the ice came on tip ups - back when I used to use tipups :laugh:

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:02 PM »
last week i tried to set a tip up twice both times as i was lowering the bait the cappie hit it  gave up and jigged that hole the rest of the day   well my daughter jigged the hole i chased traps and took the fish off

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2008, 06:14 PM »
yes tip ups do work but i guarantee when ur in em u will get tired of pulling that trap and jig.  and i second the hairline trigger !!!  i just started catching crappie thru the ice and its a blast either way. i prefer the jig pole though

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Tip ups work but if you have some tipdowns use them. Tipdowns will usually work better for
the light biting crappies. Just my opinion.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:00 PM »
any time i set tipups for perch i set them on the light setting because we usually get a few slabs mixed in
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.