The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What happened to manning ice  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Dryflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
What happened to manning ice
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Hi guys new to forum.  I fished pymy out of manning on monday. We fished almost a mile out in about 17 foot of water and were on roughly 8 inches of ice. There were probably about 20 other guys out in the general area as well. There was some open water towards the causeway but i know they had been fishing out there for almost a week in that same area. I showed up this morn and there was nobody out there and a cpl different guys closer to shore checking ice. Caught up to them and we were on just 3 inches of ice. Also it seemed slushy under the snow. Monday eve when we came off it was hard ice with just a little snow on top. We kept finding 3 inches in a cpl more spots than headed back without fishing. Saw one of the other guys heading back off without fishing as we were leaving. Could the lake of turned over from the open water or maybe snow weight from last nights snow?  Couldnt believe that could happen with the cold temps we had monday night through this morn. Weird all of the locals were gone from monday so wondering if it was getting thin tues or something. Heard there were 30 cars at that same parking lot sunday too.  Sorry for long post.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What happened to manning ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:24 AM »
it's called spring. At this time of the year the sun is very strong. Strong enough to radiate heat right into and through the ice. This week is going to trash a lot of ice with the sun, warmth and finally a couple days of warm rain. The bell is tolling, time to start thinking open water.

Offline Dryflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Totally understand the spring factor but i posted this march 6th after 3 days of not having a high temp top 20 with single digit lows and after a week straight of below freezing temps.  Would of thought those conditions would have made ice or at least not lost it.  Oh well it is time to prep the boat anyways. Tight lines

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:05 AM »
woops, yeah I see that. No one piped in so I thought it was new. Yeah, that sun is a killer this time of year. Sometimes we have another month and sometimes we don't. I got it in my head now that spring is coming... time to dig out the kayak!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Hi guys new to forum.  I fished pymy out of manning on monday. We fished almost a mile out in about 17 foot of water and were on roughly 8 inches of ice. There were probably about 20 other guys out in the general area as well. There was some open water towards the causeway but i know they had been fishing out there for almost a week in that same area. I showed up this morn and there was nobody out there and a cpl different guys closer to shore checking ice. Caught up to them and we were on just 3 inches of ice. Also it seemed slushy under the snow. Monday eve when we came off it was hard ice with just a little snow on top. We kept finding 3 inches in a cpl more spots than headed back without fishing. Saw one of the other guys heading back off without fishing as we were leaving. Could the lake of turned over from the open water or maybe snow weight from last nights snow?  Couldnt believe that could happen with the cold temps we had monday night through this morn. Weird all of the locals were gone from monday so wondering if it was getting thin tues or something. Heard there were 30 cars at that same parking lot sunday too.  Sorry for long post.
if you ever been to the outflow at the dam you could see how the ice went away,the current has to be enormous and with all the influx of melt the gates are wide open pullin warm water through the lake.as for the sun it is stronger as in years past with the recent earth quakes the earth has shifted on its axis and is more direct so more intense? any how hope it helps?just sayin
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Obama did it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.