Author Topic: Let's Go Fishing Program - Ice fishing instructor course  (Read 3843 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is a chance to promote the sport of ice fishing in New Hampshire.  I have signed up for the Dec 8th course in Lancaster.  I would like to see some others from the shanty take part in teaching the youth of today about a sport that we all love.

Ben

CONTACTS:
Karina Jolles: (603) 271-3212
Jane Vachon: (603) 271-3211
Lisa Collins: (603) 271-3212
November 2, 2007

"LET'S GO FISHING" VOLUNTEER ICE FISHING INSTRUCTOR TRAINING OFFERED

CONCORD, N.H. -- Attention anglers! The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department needs you as a volunteer ice fishing instructor for the Let's Go Fishing program, where you'll have a chance to teach ice fishing to youth and adults. The Let's Go Fishing program has two opportunities coming up for ice fishing instructor certification training:

* Saturday, December 1, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Fish and Game headquarters at 11 Hazen Drive in Concord; and

* Saturday, December 8, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Fish and Game Region 1 at 629B Main Street in Lancaster.

Light refreshments and lunch will be served at both trainings. The certification program is required in order to be an instructor in this popular, long-standing program.

To sign up for the training, send in a completed Let's Go Fishing volunteer application, which can be printed from the Fish and Game website at http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/lets_go_fishing.htm, or request a form by contacting Lisa Collins at [email protected] or (603) 271-3212.

Please call and/or have your application in by November 21, 2007, to reserve your spot.

The Let's Go Fishing Program's ice fishing classes are fun, easy to teach and becoming more popular each year. The instructor trainings will cover the ins and outs of Let's Go Fishing program operation, teaching techniques and policy and procedures. You'll also learn how to work with teachers and schoolchildren; about winter pond ecology and what happens under the ice; and get an overview of equipment and safety guidelines.

After completing the training, participants have the opportunity to join an existing team of volunteer ice fishing instructors who present programs across the state. The Let's Go Fishing program also offers basic freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, fly tying, fly fishing and saltwater fly fishing.

Over the past ten years, thousands of children and adults have learned to be safe, ethical and successful anglers through the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department's Let's Go Fishing program. The program is federally funded through the Sport Fish Restoration Program -- a true user-pay, user-benefit program. Purchases of fishing tackle, firearms, ammunition, archery equipment and motorboat fuels, along with license sales, help fund sport fish and wildlife restoration in New Hampshire, in turn providing opportunities for hunting, fishing and other wildlife-associated recreation.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Let's Go Fishing Program - Ice fishing instructor course
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2007, 06:12 AM »
Anyone else going to sign up?

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007, 04:26 PM »
i took that course last year

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:00 AM »
i took that course last year

Great and how did you like it?

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:11 PM »
any age requirements?

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:35 AM »
any age requirements?

~Neal

Neal,

The info that was sent to me via email is posted in my origonal post.  I don't think there are any age restrictions. I am 26. How old are you?

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:41 AM »
it was pretty good. the girl who teaches it is HOT!!.. its like only 2 hours long. and there free food.. its fun

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2007, 02:40 PM »
the girl that teaches it is Hot  That is why they call us Pigs JOE!!  But then again we are   nothing better than a Hot instructor to keep you up I mean awake  ART

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Regardless of the eye candy, is anyone else going to attend this class?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I got my confirmation phone call today. I am attending the Lancaster class on the 8th.

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2007, 10:05 PM »
lol... its a really good thing to do every hour you volunteer the fish and game dept gets money

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2007, 07:10 AM »
lol... its a really good thing to do every hour you volunteer the fish and game dept gets money

Well if they get money from us volunteering......mayb e our license fees won't go up as much every year!

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I am definetly gonna give it a call, if I can I'd love to go. free food and eye candy sounds like my kinda deal. plus anything to help our sitnkin f&g get along.

I cant wait to get back up north. though the southern food and women are a good time, the ice fishing season down here is mighty short.

that class doesnt fill up too quick does it?

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2007, 06:56 AM »
I don't imagine it would fill up.  I just go a phone call Tuesday telling me I am in. 

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2007, 03:20 AM »
I saw this before and thought about it.  To be honest, I don't think I know enough about ice fishing yet to try and teach it to anyone.  I don't even have my own auger yet  :(

I am, however, always looking to volunteer and learn as my schedule allows. 

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:33 AM »
I saw this before and thought about it.  To be honest, I don't think I know enough about ice fishing yet to try and teach it to anyone.  I don't even have my own auger yet  :(

I am, however, always looking to volunteer and learn as my schedule allows. 

This exactly why you should go to the class.  I am sure you would get partnered with someone who is knowledgable.  Then you could teach and learn at the same time.  I do not buy your reply as an excuse!  Sign up!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:13 PM »
a lot of the want to be fisherman you would be teaching after you take the course, know nothing. thats why they go to the seminars you would be teaching. simple things like what hook, why & how to tye it .
  different ways to catch different fis are all questions they will ask.
 how to hook a shinner.  the simplest things, and you would be one more instructor if the group that shows is large .

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Okay, I get ya.  Well, hopefully, I can time this right.  I'm still waiting for a Game Warden to schedule me for a ride along.  If I can squeeze into the class on the 8th without fouling his schedule, I will.  I'm going to call both the warden and the contact number for this program as well as get my ap straightened out.

Hopefully I can tag along with the Conservation Officer either this Monday or Tuesday.  But if all he has open is the 8th, it'd be a better date for me because I think we'd be sitting on a decoy for part of the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.