Author Topic: Deer~The winter is pretty hard on them!!feed em' and get tastey Road kill  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag Up! He's Stripping line"
i tell my friends if it just gets hit then i take it if it..Why waste a perfectly good animal yeah we didnt kill it with a  bow gun or muzzzy!! but they all taste the same!!

<{{{>(~Raef Heller~)<}}}>

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Road Kill Deer~ Skin Em' an Eat Em'
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:12 AM »
plastic wrap and ziploc bags, i grind most of it.  deer burger i love

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:16 AM »
You don't find wrapping in plasctic becomes hard to remove it sometimes.

I am a big fan of butcher wax paper. Very thick, holds out moisture and will never stick to the meat. wrap, freeze and good to go for a year or so.
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:22 AM »

I am a big fan of butcher wax paper. Very thick, holds out moisture and will never stick to the meat. wrap, freeze and good to go for a year or so.

I use both I vacuum seal first then wrap in paper.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:56 AM »

You don't find wrapping in plastic becomes hard to remove it sometimes.----- not at all  ;)

freeze and good to go for a year or so.     :o you have deer meat in the freezer for even close to a year  :o  ;D

i used to wrap in butchers paper, when thawing the blood runs out and it is turnes brown easy. i stopped useing it

Offline 95yj16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:01 AM »
wrap it in freezer paper, i  have always found that works great, i prefer it over anything plastic

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:21 AM »
You don't find wrapping in plastic becomes hard to remove it sometimes.----- not at all  ;)

freeze and good to go for a year or so.     :o you have deer meat in the freezer for even close to a year  :o  ;D

i used to wrap in butchers paper, when thawing the blood runs out and it is turnes brown easy. i stopped useing it

normaly we eat a deer within a couple of months but every couple years i get lucky and get two. and in 07 i shot two deer and a moose, so we had meat in the freezer for over a year and it was fine.

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:43 AM »
James, I got 5 deer this year. 2 hit by cars, I shot 1, and my buddy gave me 2. He actually took 8 deer this season himself. Talk about a lucky life he hunts every single year in ME, NH, MA, IL, PA and he just did Alabama this year too. You go in his mantown basement, has 20+ deer on wall and just about every other species of wildlife you get around here. Beautiful mounts

Anyway, I usually get atleast 3 deer every year anyhow given to me from friends plus what I harvest each year on top of that. Only me, wife and 2 kids eat it, thats it in the family. But we do not buy beef either, just venison

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Holy Smoke there Salmon stalker thats a lot of deer meat. its a good thing your family eats deer, or maybe not if they are like my kids. My kids raid my freezer every time i get a deer now lol

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:12 PM »
if i see a deer on the side of the road that wasn't there yesterday, i'll stop and take a look. if it ain't too busted up in the guts and the leg still moves when i kick it, it's good to go.
in n.y. you still need a tag on it to posess it.
the police will give you on if you ask.

i don't know if they still do it, but you used to be able to give your name and number to the troopers and they would call you when one got hit in your area. then you would just go pick it up, they would have the tag on it for you.
we went through some tough times awhile back, and free roadkill was very much welcomed.
i like to wrap it in white freezer paper. the vacuum pac works great, but is expensive and can get holes in it when moving stuff around in your freezer. i never tried wrapping over the vac pac with paper, but that seems like a very good way to cushion it.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:35 PM »
My old man is a police officer in the area. They just give me a call when one gets hit or they put it down. You have to get a road kill tag from the station but easy to get if you ask.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:41 PM »
You can call fish and game and be put on their road kill list too.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:41 PM »
That smile scares me.... :unsure:

JIGGIN.

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:54 PM »
i usually use a vacume sealer  withsome of my favoite marinades and its incredible everytime..mmm roadkill list is beautiful fresh meat with out having to waste a round!!

Offline Snagged

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:38 AM »
I wrapped it tight in plastic, 5 or 6 times. Then vacuum seal it, meat don't last a year but if it did it will still be good.
______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______
Can't wait for the boy to be out of diapers, another 6 traps!

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:48 AM »
I been seeing alot of deer lateley seem 18 last night on my way home!!

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I hear you, saw 4 Tues night, last week saw group of 5 or 6. They are certainly moving around in search of easy pickings. Noticing them along side of road eating the browse lately too. I been out scouting a lot too and sign everywhere, heavy runs around. Can't wait for the fall to come around. 

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:32 PM »
yeaH its just sad to see how thin they are they have no body fat..im feeding all winter long  every winter but i can only do what i can...the deer herds are starving..

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Dodge grain in Salem NH sells 50 or 75lb sacks of whole kernel corn for $12 50lb, $15 75lb. Last couple weeks and certainly helps the herd in your area. Not sure what you are buying but it's a great price for the food and amount of it.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:53 PM »
it's illegal to feed them here in n.y.
and if you do feed them, there are foods that they can't digest at different times of year, as the enzymes in their guts change as the natural food supply changes. they can starve with a full belly.
i think it would be helpful to cut down brush so they can get to the buds on the tops of branches.
if you look around the area they are in, and every live twig under 7' tall is gone, that is a sign they are starving.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I feed deer in all my spots..malasis grain and oats!! there doing good there but the deer everywhere else are in bad shape!!

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
No!! but i probably will this year since its not illegal you can have two deer bait sites by permit only!! knurren you going to winter harbor tomorrow?

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
im going out tonight to get some more rainbow smelts!!

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
The deer i been seeing  have been skin and bones!!  if they happen to spook i take some extra oats out of y car and put some out for them..take a shovel and remove snow so they can get to the grass..

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
thats not  a problem .. keeping hunters out of my areas.. its all private posted land and i tell em to leave unless there friends of mine or if they have my permission.. that sucks about the game bro i hoping to  get to fish with you again this season!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.