Author Topic: Rod and reel  (Read 660 times)

Offline MNwalleye17

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod and reel
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Morning-

Wondering what everyone's "go-to" rod and reel is for walleyes and crappies.

I have numerous rod and reels from different box stores that have served me fine.  What's the typical length and action for your walleye rod? 

Crappie rod?  Do you spring bobber it, do you use a noodle rod, or just a rod / reel with bobber?

Thanks

OH--any chance of a cyber Monday give away #8?!?!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Welp this will get a bunch of replies? Get what you can afford. To answer for crappie I use a 27” ul and or 27” l, 13 fishing tickle stick. 13 fishing bb-6061 2lb line on one 3lb test on the other. Two Fenwicks elite tech one l one ml Phluger presidents on both. Lots of options out there! Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Everyone has a favorite rod.

Mine is a Thorne Bros Panfish Sweetheart 32".  It's custom and I have a bait casting reel on it.  5# ASSO Micron3 fluorocarbon coated line.

Everyone has a favorite set up.

Mine is a snap swivel...quick change to jigs and spoons.  Yes that is a snap swivel to a jig, not a direct tie.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2019, 11:21 AM »
My favorite crappie rod is a 30” TUCR Bullwhip w/ Shimano Sedona 1000 w/ 3lb Suffix Ice Magic. Fantastic combo.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2019, 11:27 AM »
FXcustomrods
Just add water.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:09 AM »
32" bullwhip for crappie and 28" shimano convergence for eyes.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:24 AM »
I run Pfluger Presidents for reels.  My favorite crappie rod is a custom 28" noodle from Yogi Rods.

I don't fish walleyes much, but when I do, I have a L/ML Clam stick that does the job.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:56 AM »
my favorite crappie rod is the TUCR Bullwhip (the Precision Noodle is a close 2nd). For walleyes, it really depends on where I am fishing. If Im fishing a lake and am targeting only walleye with reasonable chances at something 20in or bigger, I would go with the TUCR Commander. If Im fishing a lake with crappies and/or perch mixed in and most walleyes under 18in, then I would opt for the DH Customs Perch Pounder or the TUCR Fusion

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Med or med-light for walleye, med-light for crappie. I like St. Croix Avids and 13 Fishing anywhere from 27"-32". I just wish some of the 13 Fishing rods had longer handles.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:57 PM »
For the price you can't go wrong with a Jason Mitchell Meatstick or Deadmeat combo.  The reel that comes with is darn good and the rods are time tested and proven.  I have caught slab crappie, jumbo perch and big walleye on them and they hold up great.  The main difference between the two is the deadmeat has larger guides than the meatstick, which I wish they would put the larger guides on the stick as the only complaint I have about them is they tend to freeze up when fishing outside which is about all I do.

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:16 PM »
In total agreement with the JM Dead meat and meat stick rods! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.