The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up hole insulator  (Read 2961 times)

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up hole insulator
« on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Just wondering if other people may have a better idea.  So to keep tip up holes from freezing overnight or for long periods I started using foam mats, my problem is that they are horrible to transport and only work ok. Oh yeah and if they catch the wind they are gone. Anyone have any ideas.  Thanks.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip up hole insulator
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:58 PM »
I leave the snow piled up on the wind side of the hole and if the wind is really bad, put a little on the insulator
I use 3/4" black closed cell foam, works great and don't freeze to the ice.
Peck

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Fort peck, what kind of store would you pick this up at?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:02 AM »
Just an idea, Michaels craft store has a lot of different foam material. I never paid attention to the size of pieces they sell though.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 10:50 AM »
We bought these years ago. They work great. Holes will still freeze a little, but it's way better. If you want to make your own you can see what they look like at least from the pic. I had buddies use stuff like RV antifreeze a few years ago, and it made the hole bigger and tip ups were gone! Pretty funny.  ::)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEP-ICE-FISHING-HOLE-INSULATOR-COVER-501-BLACK-12-25-DIAMETER-3-4-THICK-1-PK-/142157447090?hash=item21193e7fb2:g:D~gAAOSwHsRYC8Ds

Offline B bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:05 AM »
I have tried everything under the sun and what has worked the best is 1) Conveyor Belt Rubber  2) Home Depot Rubber Utility Mat   Both are heavy enough to withstand the wind and insulate to keep the holes warm.  They can be a bit heavy to move around but so worth it. You can easily cut them into any size you desire.  I like  to go quit larger than my hole to make sure they have good coverage.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:34 PM »
I too use the round closed-cell foam and have had no issues.  Not sure how they'd blow away without the tip-up going with it if they're the type with a slit radius and a center hole but they seem to stay put with a little snow or slush on top.  I'd be curious to see the results of someone measuring how much insulation they truly provide as opposed to their value in keeping snow out of the hole.  As far as transport, I just run a short strap with quick-release buckles thru the center of the stack.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I to use the foam I've had them blow off with the tip up still hooked in only thing that save them was the hook snagging on the ice hole unspooled the whole dam reel across the ice

Offline Sonneshein

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!

Offline Tizzle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I also use close cell foam. When I leave them over night, I take long nails and "nail" the foam to the ice. Never had them blow away. Had them stolen before, but not blown away.

Offline icechamp1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Use foam and then a little bit of alcohol in the whole works great!!!

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Would thick cardboard work? I have some heavy duty cardboard that I was thinking of trying. Tired of having to clean out my jaw jacker hole all the time with the wind and snow.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Card board will freeze to the ice and make a mess.
Go to Walmart and buy an exercise mat and make some, light and inexpensive.
Steve

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:59 PM »
Extra Virgin Olive Oil works pretty good.  Fill the ice hole until the oil spread across evenly.  Then come back the next day, flip whatever ice is in there out and reel it up.  I used the Extra Virgin Olive twice because that is all I had for ice camping and I left my lines in the water next to my cot so I could fish while sleeping.  I used little clip on bells for hearing the bite.  Didn't get no bites but the ice flipped out as expected.  The oil was kinda yellow-green in the morning.  But it still dipped out nice and cooked taters and eggs.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:50 AM »
I still think the best thing is a spud bar.

Offline Baitandbullet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I was thinking about getting a frisbee from the dollar store and cutting a hole in it. Would be cheap, light, and convenient. Might work?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.