The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: World Record Lake Trout taken away  (Read 2988 times)

Offline lookinforpanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
World Record Lake Trout taken away
« on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:03 PM »
This story is enough to make a grown man cry

http://www.startribune.com/local/247563501.html

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: World Record Lake Trout taken away
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:33 PM »
To bad he wasn't man enough to at least follow the law and try to resuscitate it instead of deciding it wasn't going to live. Spend the time taking care of the fish and see what happens. At least he owned up to what he did.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Why is handing off his fish to the other guy illegal so long as the other guy only keeps that one fish and has a valid license etc?

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Why is handing off his fish to the other guy illegal so long as the other guy only keeps that one fish and has a valid license etc?

Wouldn't that be considered party fishing?  I believe the MT regs (not sure of Canada regs) talk about how if you catch it then it is part of your count and if you give it away it is still your count plus theirs.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:45 PM »

That's the MT reg as well: "A fish when landed and not immediately released becomes part of the bag limit of the person originally hooking the fish even if the fish is donated to another person. If you receive fish from another angler, those fish also become part of your daily limit."
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:05 PM »
I've not done it before, the issue has never come up for me, I either release what I catch or I take it home and eat it. I was just wondering why it was illegal. So the Canadian regs must be like the Montana ones in that respect, and if so then it was the angler's responsibility to know that regulation and release every subsequent fish he caught after the one he kept. I don't feel sorry for him, he chose to keep the first one, passing it off to his buddy just because he caught a bigger one was illegal. I agree with the LEOs in this case, he needs to forfeit the fish and lose the world record.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:13 PM »
The Ontario reg: "The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day, and includes fish that are retained for any period of time and any fish eaten or given away."

Dang, that's a long haul for a one fish limit.  Lac la Croix isn't exactly easy access in summer or winter.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2014, 05:19 PM »
The law is the law, I get it.  I think that sucks though. 

Catching the fish of a lifetime like that, I think there are more than a few people who might have done the same thing.  I'm not saying it's right.  So far as the law he is totally in the wrong.  If what he said was true, not knowing the guy, I have no reason to doubt him.  If he did fight that fish for an hour the fish very well would have died after he released it.  Maybe he did try to get it kicking again, none of us where there.  I know if I was in that spot with a fish which obviously isn't going to make it, I'd have a hard decision to make.  Compound that dilemma with a 52 POUND LAKER!!!
All I'm saying is that's a tough break. 
I also think that before everyone gets all fiery on this guy, he turned himself in after all.  Though, I'd doubt he would have had he not got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Kudos to the LEO's who actually remembered this guys name!  It's nice to know there isn't a bunk WR laker on the books!
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2014, 05:37 AM »
Dang, that's a long haul for a one fish limit.  Lac la Croix isn't exactly easy access in summer or winter.
It's not a one fish limit if you bought a sport fishing license.
He chose the cheaper route and bought a conservation license. Conservation license limits him to one fish where a sport fishing license would have allowed 2 lake trout.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:12 AM »
The non residents conservation license is about $30 a year cheaper than a sport fishing license.
For this savings he'll get a loss of the record, most likely a $300 dollar fine & possibly (not likely) a restriction of fishing in Ontario for a set period. A record of this violation will also increase fines if ever caught in violation in the future.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Onefish wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:44 AM »
That fish is a bruiser i dont agree with that law i believe if you gave one away to a legit license holder it should be completely legal. its not like im saying go catch a hundred of them and give them away to 99 people but what is fishing all about getting outdoors and enjoying life with friends hoping for the fish of a lifetime. The stink that is being caused by this is unbelievable i really think they should rethink this situation and let the record be set, besides a fish like this is dang near once in a lifetime. Just completely my opinion everyone is entitled to one. GREAT FISH!
Just Feedn'em

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:17 AM »
That fish is a bruiser i dont agree with that law i believe if you gave one away to a legit license holder it should be completely legal. its not like im saying go catch a hundred of them and give them away to 99 people but what is fishing all about getting outdoors and enjoying life with friends hoping for the fish of a lifetime.
So if I shot a 120" class buck, showed the game warden my buck, then later in the day while pursuing a doe, I see and shoot a world record buck and gave my buddy the little one (since I am over my bag limit) and that would be okay? I mean he does have a tag and the world record buck probally would have died of old age due to the harsh winter.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Sad but true the law is the law. A young friend of mine caught what was determined to be a Montana State record Bass in Blanchard lake a number of years ago. At that time it was catch and release. They did the right thing took pictures and let it go! Because of that you are now allowed to keep one Bass over (I believe 23" which is the state record).

Offline Onefish wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:00 PM »
So if I shot a 120" class buck, showed the game warden my buck, then later in the day while pursuing a doe, I see and shoot a world record buck and gave my buddy the little one (since I am over my bag limit) and that would be okay? I mean he does have a tag and the world record buck probally would have died of old age due to the harsh winter.
Touche'... Agree to disagree!
Just Feedn'em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.