The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fixing pop-up (hub) shelters?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline TreeKiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
fixing pop-up (hub) shelters?
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:29 PM »
I've got a frabil pop up shelter and three of the hubs have pulled through the fabric. It's still usable so I'd like to get some more life out of it. Any one have experience repairing these?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: fixing pop-up (hub) shelters?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Maybe contact someone that builds boat covers? I think Gull boats in missoula makes them and I think there are other places as well.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:02 PM »
My frontier frabill did the same thing. I talked to the sporting goods store I bought it from and they gladly replaced it for me.  Frabill was aware of this "malfunction" and have used bigger grommets to compensate the pressure.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:58 PM »
not sure about the hubs going through the fabric.  I've cracked a couple poles on georgetown when it was -20 earlier in the winter though, some 15 min epoxy worked into the cracks and tightly wrapped with duct tape and their stronger than the original.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I've got a frabil pop up shelter and three of the hubs have pulled through the fabric. It's still usable so I'd like to get some more life out of it. Any one have experience repairing these?
I've had the same problem with my pop-up.  To fix it, open up the shelter, take the nut off of the inside of the hub and take the bolt off of the outside.  Sew a piece of thin nylon webbing (the same stuff that they use on backpack shoulder straps) on the outside where the hole is.  Then put the bolt and nut back on.  Might as well do the un-torn ones too.  It's a pain in the ass, but it works great.     

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:15 PM »
not sure about the hubs going through the fabric.  I've cracked a couple poles on georgetown when it was -20 earlier in the winter though, some 15 min epoxy worked into the cracks and tightly wrapped with duct tape and their stronger than the original.
To fix broken poles, I have found that buying a replacement hub and four poles (it's one unit) from the company, and replacing the broken pole entirely works best.  Use the remaining three poles to fix future breaks.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Thats a great idea for the long run.  With mine your out like 7 bucks, can do the repair in ten min and be fishing in a hour.  You just have duct tape on a couple poles but I think it adds character :)

Offline gamehog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:21 AM »
I had a pole break on my eastmans pop up shelter in high winds.i called to have a new one sent out and they wanted way to much for one fiberglass rod.i did some looking arounds and at shiptons big R in the farm and ranch area they have fiberglass electric fence rods.for $2.99 and about 20 mins of time I had a new one installed and ready to go.hope this helps someone out some day.it sure made me happy

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:14 AM »
The problem that the guy who posted this was a hub popping through the material. 
If you have a hub shelter, check it to make sure it's not about to happen to you and modify it as I have advised.

Poles break when you aren't opening and closing the shelter properly.  Slippery surfaces make the poles go all askew.
Make sure that the wall you are opening/closing is square and not askew (i.e., if the poles look all cockeyed, straighten them out before you pull).     
Once you see that it's square (or have made it square) grab it by the corner to steady it and only then pull/push it from the center.
When you get the first section open (usually the roof), let some air get into it before you pull open the next section.

Spray the zippers with WD-40.         

I have a first generation QF3.  It's one of the first hubs made.  Still going strong through good repair and maintenance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.