The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooney Res  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooney Res
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Was wondering if anybody has done any good on Cooney Res.  Might head out Saturday.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
Re: Cooney Res
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:55 PM »
More and more ling are starting to bite, 14-30ft water. They are all over the place really. The walleye are there also but are real timid. The ling spawn in 3 weeks, so the next 2 weeks should be fun for ling. The walleye out there get better the last week of Feb. I have caught ling and seen eyes swimming around. Saw a real nice eye swim by. It's funny when that happens, it about as exicting as catching one. I said about! Also seen some nice bows swimming. But I really dont fish for them.

NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Thankyou much.  Love ling. 

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I should Die while Fishing, I Die Happy :-)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Hey whiric, that is a great posting and I will be there Sat. I fished last Sat. at Marshal Cove by the Dam and we got 10 small ones but it was fun! I think that I am going to try the Redlodge Crk bay and fish in 20 to 30 fow. just for a change a see if it produces some bigger fish ! What do you think? Thanks Mo.

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:47 PM »
That was were I was thinking of going was Redlodge.  Shoot for the channel with the depth finder and then set up.

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Well cool, I will have a red chevy suburban with LRLBOYS lic.plates. and a Eskimo6 popup red shanty. Look me up! Big Mo.

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Will do.  I drive a Silver Dodge pickup 4 door and have a Frabill hut.

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:44 PM »
COOL SEE YA THERE!!! Mo.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:37 PM »
I'm going tomorrow from 1:30pm - 6:00pm, will let you know how it is. Depending on wind speed and direction will determine were I set up. Dont want to have the ice house get lost across the ice. Was thinking about north shore somewhere or red L. creek. Wind should be around 14 mph Friday. Not real bad.

Offline jignpanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Fished it last sat. Done real good from 5:30- 10:30 p.m. cut bait was the best but when i cleaned the ling they were plum full of 2 inch crawdads. Going to petrolia on sat. Or i would hit it again. Good luck!!!

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Thank you for the info. 

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Fished from 2:00pm - 6:00pm, saw 3 fish during this time. Fished the same spot 2 times 17 FOW, trying to learn where to be on this lake. It was a mud bottom off the north shore across from south boat ramp. the first time i seen about 5 fish. I now know this is not the spot for ice season. Next spot will be north shore off damn. I use a camera to scan the bottom structure and fish. Each spot I fish this season i'll report back. In the summer where I fish yesterday does well for eyes. Will now look for more of a rock bottom (25 fow). Total fish sighted - 3 walleye, 3 ling, 2 trout. Oh! my lure also...

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 PM »
So you saw some fish but did you catch any of them?

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I was off the point at red lodge campground and only caught one ling in 25 feet of water, maybe they are farther up the arm to the creek? first ling I have ever caught and would like to find more. Any info would be appreciated  :)
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:10 AM »
Hi all, fished Cooney on sat. from 11:30 am till 10:30 pm. Caught two small ling right off the bat, then nothing till sundown. then the ling bite really picked up and we kept 9 nice ones, landed 12, lost 3 and had a number of bites. Fun night. We were by the dam in 35 to 40 FOW. Mo.

Offline Coalminer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Fished Cooney several times last fall and had limited success. Sounds like Ling through the ice is the way to go.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Ill be at Cooney Sat. 10:00am - 6:30pm, still in search of the walleye. They have to be stacked up somewhere. Ill report what I see near the dam with the camera. Going to find a nice drop off from 14-28 ft. Will sit in 25-30ft. Anyone one else use a camera to sight?

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Hi all, fished Cooney on sat. from 11:30 am till 10:30 pm. Caught two small ling right off the bat, then nothing till sundown. then the ling bite really picked up and we kept 9 nice ones, landed 12, lost 3 and had a number of bites. Fun night. We were by the dam in 35 to 40 FOW. Mo.

how big were the keepers?

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Hey Redneck, they ranged from pound and a half to three pounds. I oven cooked them in real butter with a cajun spiced rub ! They were excellent and even the wife liked them! And thats saying something for her shes not a big fish lover! Ha Ha! I am planning on going back on Friday afternoon, be by the dam in Marshall cove area again! Good fishin, Mo.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM »
ok, I'm not sure yet when I will be back to cooney but I'm definetly going to give marshal cove a try

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:34 PM »
More and more ling are starting to bite, 14-30ft water. They are all over the place really. The walleye are there also but are real timid. The ling spawn in 3 weeks, so the next 2 weeks should be fun for ling. The walleye out there get better the last week of Feb. I have caught ling and seen eyes swimming around. Saw a real nice eye swim by. It's funny when that happens, it about as exicting as catching one. I said about! Also seen some nice bows swimming. But I really dont fish for them.

Where does your information that they spawn in 3 weeks come from?  I thought fish spawned according to water temperature rather than time of year.  A biologist told me a dozen years ago that montana ling typically spawn in December and January depending on the severity of winter.  That's when I personally have found them to be spawning.  I have heard in Canada they spawn more toward March.  However, we caught some spawners on January 6th this year out of Newlan.  I'm curious to know if something you read led you to believe when the spawn is or if you have personally experienced a consistent spawn over several years despite varying weather from year to year.  If you have that data logged, that would be a complete game changer for those of us who chase burbot.  Please share!!

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Internet, They should spawn between January and Febuary. Ive heard from others it is usually Febuary. Water temp really does not matter when there is ice covering the lake...

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:10 PM »
Well agree to disagree I guess.  The incubation period for fish embryos is temperature dependent, which is why fish always spawn at specific temperature ranges that are usually very small.  The only water on a frozen lake that doesn't vary in temp is the hard stuff on top......ice is always 32 degrees.  Even a frozen lake has a thermocline. 

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Males had sperm in them but the females didn't have eggs. Spawning is something that has many factors in it that include time of year, water temp. I seen walleye that had mature eggs and sperm this fall.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Internet, They should spawn between January and Febuary. Ive heard from others it is usually Febuary. Water temp really does not matter when there is ice covering the lake...

For burbot--- its the water coming into the lakes as well as time of year that triggers spawning movements. I just went and looked thru all my old data from when I worked at FWP and tracked these fish using radio telemetry... and spawning movements started towards end of December... at least this was the case on the Yellowstone River.

Anyway, heres and article I wrote while working for FWP...
http://billingsgazette.com/news/features/outdoors/fwp-biologists-follow-winter-travels-of-burbot/article_160c9ce7-192a-5816-8336-5931ec23b49d.html

Offline jignpanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:37 PM »
I heard the fwp is going to cooney tomorrow night to catch and check on the ling.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:55 AM »
well there you have it, internet was wrong again.

Offline Jpayo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Fish and game didn't even go out tonight because of the low numbers the last two nights. Maybe the bite will start again tomorrow besides the hybrids. If your not catching fish put one pole down 5 ft with a orange or chartreuse bead and put the other one 8 ft down with same thing. Do this during the day and if you don't catch in 15 or 20 minutes move over fifty feet and punch two more holes

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Went out Saturday night from about 5:45 to 8:15.  Got my limit of Ling.  Excellent night of fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.