The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing - around Eureka  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Kevinhits

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing - around Eureka
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Hi all
I am brand new to this forum. I live in Calgary and have recently bought a cabin last year. I took my boat out on glen and Dickee lake and am trying ice fishing for the first time. I have spent hours of research on the surrounding lakes and have learned alot but still need more. Any suggestions on lakes, ice thickness etc. Any help would be great. Looking at going to glen lake and sophie lake based on what I found. Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

Offline Kevinhits

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice fishing - around Eureka
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:15 PM »
anybody with information around eureka...Anyone Icefish in this area?

Offline Maggotmuncher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:16 PM »
The rainbows and bulls are still active in the reservoir, if your boat can still be got out easily it might be the way to go, most fishing seems to have been pretty slow around kAlispell so far.  Might be different up at eureka though.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Last I heard Sophie lake wasn't froze...  And Dickie lake, Ive actually never talked with anyone who ice fishes it...there are trout in there...somebody has to fish there...

Murry(sp) lake gets fished pretty regular...trout, perch and LM Bass...  Glen has Kokes, but can be hard to find them...

No personal experience on these lakes just second hand info...

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I fished Murphy last month and I did well on both trout and perch on it. I will warn you for every keeper perch you catch you will probably throw at least ten dinky ones back. I fished Dog lake(you need a 4wd truck or snow machine to get in to this one) later that same weekend and got skunked but there were lots of holes from other people fishing out there. If you fish Murphy be careful as it has springs in some of the areas where the reeds stick up through the ice and the ice can be very thin in those spots but they are easy to avoid if you stay out of the reeds. Other than that I have not fished much up there this year. Sorry I can't be more help.

Offline peacockhurl4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I iced fished Murphy last year and all we caught we 4" perch-lots of them.  Too far to drive from Kalispell but easy access.

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Haven't fished murphy this year but I agree you will catch 10 or 15 minnows before you catch a decent keeper perch.  Every once in a while you will hook into a 3 or 4 lb bass and thats pretty fun.  I hope to go to Glenn lake for perch this weekend, caught a few nice ones there in the past.  I've heard of some people catching some lunker trout in Dicky but never caught one myself.  I can normally be found on upper stillwater, and lagooni lake but its been pretty darn slow goin this year.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:13 AM »
my buddy went to murphy saturday caught a ton of perch he says good luck

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:49 PM »
nice!! any size to em?

Offline Kevinhits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:41 PM »
so...here is the recap on my cabin/ice fishing trip...Got to Glen lake at about 3pm and stayed till just dark( 6ish). We were going for Kokes. Had 2 bites and that was it...Went into Eureka and had some fun at the local bars...Thanks to the regulars there! Had a great time..Saturday, went to Sophie trying for some big pike, but had alot of perch bites. Landed 4 perch that were bigger than my smelts for pike..LOL...I cannot believe how thin the ice is here compared to Alberta. I have been driving on the ice here but our cold snap we had was way colder than Montana. Cannot wait to try again this weekend...Any updates on lakes around eureka this weekend would be great! I would like to do better than 4 perch..
Tanks ya all...

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:30 PM »
the perch were all dinkers but one  :-\

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:43 PM »
so...here is the recap on my cabin/ice fishing trip...Got to Glen lake at about 3pm and stayed till just dark( 6ish). We were going for Kokes. Had 2 bites and that was it...Went into Eureka and had some fun at the local bars...Thanks to the regulars there! Had a great time..Saturday, went to Sophie trying for some big pike, but had alot of perch bites. Landed 4 perch that were bigger than my smelts for pike..LOL...I cannot believe how thin the ice is here compared to Alberta. I have been driving on the ice here but our cold snap we had was way colder than Montana. Cannot wait to try again this weekend...Any updates on lakes around eureka this weekend would be great! I would like to do better than 4 perch..
Tanks ya all...
kinda scary ice this year in MT..drive on it, not me..heard of guys driving on the ice though.guess bynum has 20" solid ice(long ways from you but .be careful and good catching!!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:11 AM »
On Glen Lake, from the ramp, take a left and fish that bay all the way to the south end of the lake.  There is a point to the west that can hold rainbow, and the bay I am speaking of has perch and nice kokanee.

Let us know how it goes...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline RAM1961

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:03 PM »
I fished Dog lake(you need a 4wd truck or snow machine to get in to this one) later that same weekend and got skunked but there were lots of holes from other people fishing out there.

Are you talking Dog Lake west of Olney?  If so, that Potter Field Ranch along highway used to be my uncle's KOA campground.  The property included half of dog lake....caught LOTS of fish back in the 70's there....it was a young boy's dream up there with the little creek flowing thru the campground (full of brookies) and run up to the lake on either horses or dirt bikes.  Even caught a couple grayling out of there.

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:35 PM »
any reports on Beaver lake?

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Are you talking Dog Lake west of Olney?

Yes, that is the one.

Offline Kevinhits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:03 PM »
On Glen Lake, from the ramp, take a left and fish that bay all the way to the south end of the lake.  There is a point to the west that can hold rainbow, and the bay I am speaking of has perch and nice kokanee.

Let us know how it goes...
Thank you..
I never checked the forum before going out this time, but will definately check it out next time...
Thanks for the tip :)

Offline Kevinhits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:07 PM »
kinda scary ice this year in MT..drive on it, not me..heard of guys driving on the ice though.guess bynum has 20" solid ice(long ways from you but .be careful and good catching!!
When I mentioned on driving on the ice, I meant Calgary...We have ice 16-20" thick. Glen lake was 12-14" and people were driving on. Sophie lake was 6" and of course we walked on...I usually wait for 16" + before driving on and I have a minivan and not a big truck...Scary ice this year!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.