The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What is your Wind Limit??  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Trav-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
What is your Wind Limit??
« on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:43 PM »
At what point do you decide to stay home when they are predicting high winds? I personally don't like anything much over 20 MPH. Had to park the 4 wheeler on the corner of my icehouse today to keep her down. I also had a tumbleweed hit the icehouse today WTH??

Offline cjflorence88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is your Wind Limit??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:26 PM »
when my quick flip 3 starts warning me that it is nearing colapsing...

"Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release"
"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."
God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would belie

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 12:32 AM »
If the fishing is worth it, I can handle gusts to 30 mph, but more often than not, if it's that windy, the fishing is off... Or maybe I just keep telling myself that to keep warm at home.

Offline frozenout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:58 AM »
After 15 mph standing outside is NOT worth the fish. Being in a shack at 20 to 30mph can be deafening.
I also took a ride accross the ice in my shack about tore the transducer off the Vexilar and had a miny garage sale.
To me not worth it !
Been to Daily's Lake  Mach Winds No Fun, rather have -25  No Wind !!  any day!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Can handle 5 to 15's.......but after that.....it just annoys the hell out of me.  Stayed home today because of the wind warnings all around the state.  We finally (after four days of the weatherman being wrong) got the 40 degree weather, but you know Montana.......if it's warm this time of year....the wind comes with it......Planning next weeks trip as I sit home........

Offline Trav-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Sat through the wind yesterday thinking I am staying home tomorrow when these "high winds" come in, slept in this morning and it was perfect no wind. Sitting at home on the puter pouting. Guess you can never plan your day around the weather man. At least I can fish tomorrow.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:40 PM »
-16 today with a wind chill of -24 it didnt feel to bad but wish i had stayed home wind was only 8mph.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:06 PM »
I live in central montana and not a whole lot of lakes close so we fish ackley a lot. If you stay home in 20 mph you get many days on the ice. The noise will defend ya tho.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:40 PM »
I called it quits on Pishkun Saturday when the gentleman next to me came skating by with his ice house and my fish were trying to blow across the ice.  I can handle wind, but when it gets up around 30 mph, my fun-o-meter tanks pretty quick...

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:34 PM »
If my anchors can't keep my QuickFish3 up, I'm packin it in!

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:21 PM »
When the Vexilar blows out of the hole.

Offline Mr.GoldyEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I've been on the blackfeet reservation in 50+ mph, couldn't even hold the bucket down.  had to just sit on the ice and brave it.  The fishing that day was fantastic and i'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'll never get my buddy who didn't have ice cleats to do it.  He got whiplash from falling so many times.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Grew up on Fort Peck. We have no wind limit. ;D
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:06 PM »
When the shanty is about to flip, the Zorros Shack is a tough shanty flipped at least 4 times. LOTS of wind and nothing broke lost a scoop that's all and its a very aerodynamic shanty from the front and back the sides are better.

Offline pioneer MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Well I would say that it would definitely depend on the fishing!!

Offline Trav-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:08 AM »
The last few times I have been out they were predicting wind and it never happened. From now on I am picking a day, heading out and dealing with whatever weather happens.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Trav.......Those were my exact words last week........can't wait on the weather.  Of course when I went on Sunday to Beaver Creek........the lousy suckers were correct with the forecast!!!  LOL........You can't fool mother nature....... ;D

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:33 PM »
My wind limit was reached last winter on Harrison lake. The wind was blowin so hard in the canyon that i couldnt get my four wheeler goin more than 10mph. It was wind polished ice, huuge snow drift, more glare ice. Took 45 minutes to ride from the dam to the boat ramp. Limit reached, exceeded. I grew up in Alberta and was still.....well dang near blown away. After the first half hour, I was seriously debating on turning around and riding back out to Harrison through the canyon.  Same night the 400lb shanty got moved a quarter mile. it was froze down when we left it. :'(

Molon Labe

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I went way past mine last weekend on Pshkun.

So I just bought a Summit Thermal a couple of weeks ago.  Last weekend was my first trip out with it.  I set it up on the lake on Saturday evening.  I screwed in all 4 corners and then all 4 hubs with the ropes supplied because I was in an area known for some wind. 

Well, about 2 AM Sat night I was hit by a freak wind storm.  The weather report said gusts were over 70mph in town and on the lake I think it was more.  I swear that I thought there was a tornado outside my door.  I was in the shelter and I was supporting the windward hub with all my might and when that shattered, all I could do is hold onto the roof supports for dear life to keep the thing from flying away.  The wind was roaring like an evil monster trying to haul me away.  I was fearful for my health and well being at that point.

Well after a 2 hours the wind beating the living daylights out of me and dodging the broken fiberglass spears that used to support my beauty of a shelter, I couldn't do it any more and had to jump ship and leave everything on the ice for the safety of my vehicle.  Once I stepped out of the shack I was dropped to my knees a started sliding across the ice towards open water. Luckily the wind stopped to take a breath and I was able to get to shore.  Now I weigh in a 280 pounds and can squat 505 pounds.  Well even on shore, I could not walk into the wind without being pushed back.  When I got to my truck, I felt as if it was being picked up off the ground.  The steering wheel was rocking back and forth on its own.    The whole experience was one of the most terrifying and violent experiences in my life.  I waited it out till morning when it died down a little bit.  I then went back out to the shack, it was trashed.  Many of the fiber glass rods were broke, the hubs were broke, the screws were bent, the straps that held the thing down were ripped off and there were rips in the materials.  Basically everything about it was ruined.  On top of that, most of my gear was strewn about the opposite shore.  Luckily, I think I recovered most of it and the only thing broken was one rod tip and the shelter.

I was pulling out about 7 am when everone else was pulling in.  I felt like I had fought and lost a battle and vowed never to return to that lake again and to never fish alone again.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:54 PM »
Wow.  That would do it!  Crazy wind.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Walltrout, I grew up in that country and I have seen that wind.  I saw a guy bigger that you 6'4" well over 300 hundred.  He ran around the back of the truck and as soon as he rounded the corner a big gust picked him up and dropped him flat on his back.  He said after that it felt like someone hit him with a sheet of plywood.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Wow Walltrout... That would have scared the s#$t out of me as well.  the wind sure can blow up there on the front something fierce.

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Wall you out to send that in to Outdoor life and see if they will give ya some free swag! im not kiddin thats a good story.

Molon Labe

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2011, 11:14 PM »
Walltrout thats why i moved from great falls to the flathead valley ;D ;D
now if we get a 10 mile an hour wind we all complain
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline cjflorence88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:58 AM »
haha thats crazy walltrout. i have a similar story in the haystack butte area like that but horse back. the wind can blow so bad over there it is amazing. i love it over there but will never live there. i guide over there in the fall and am so sick of the wind by turkey day im glad to head home to the sheltered bitterroot valley. i know alot of guys who fish that area and they all have hardside one man shacks.

"Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release"
"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."
God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would belie

iceandwiskey

« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Wow!!  And I thought the wind was bad on Daily lk!!!!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:51 PM »
So I wanted to give Clam Corp a thumbs up on this thread.  I emailed and called them regarding my new shack that was destroyed.  I totally didn't think that they would do anything since their warranty does not cover wind damage but I thought I would ask anyway.

Well I am happy to say that they opted to replace my shack at no cost to me.  All I can say is wow!  Great customer service!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Wow that is impressive.  Big pat on the back for that.  I bought a Glenn's shack back in Nov. if I was still in the market that would have sealed the deal for me.  Glad you came out good on that deal.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:55 PM »
So I wanted to give Clam Corp a thumbs up on this thread.  I emailed and called them regarding my new shack that was destroyed.  I totally didn't think that they would do anything since their warranty does not cover wind damage but I thought I would ask anyway.

Well I am happy to say that they opted to replace my shack at no cost to me.  All I can say is wow!  Great customer service!

now you've got a hell of a story and a new shack to boot congrats
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:03 PM »
That is outstanding.  It's good to see a company like that these days!!!  Congrats!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.