The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: where to catch ling and perch on canyon ferry?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline thebasicfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
where to catch ling and perch on canyon ferry?
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:04 PM »
just wondering where i can catch some ling and perch on canyon ferry, thanks for your time.

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: where to catch ling and perch on canyon ferry?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:48 PM »
perch can be caught north of the silos...the hole in the wall is usually a good bet..as far as the ling they can be tough to catch...a freind of mind has had luck using tip ups with smelt off the bottom....night time is the best time to fish for ling however.....the ice is about 10 inches right now....the perch are being caught around the pressure ridge near the hole in the wall..

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:04 PM »
hey thanks, how far out are they catching perch from the north shore, how deep should i drop my lines?

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:58 PM »
We have done well in the past for perch fishing in 30-45 feet of water and fishing just off the bottom - drop down to bottom and raise up a foot or so.  Haven't gotten out there this year though.  If you are new to the area, just follow the crowds - you don't have to set up right next to them (in fact people frown on that), but pick a spot several hundred feet away and try it - there are perch all over out there.  As for ling, we have done well in the past at night around Goose Bay in 30-50 feet of water.  Hope that helps.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:16 PM »
k thanks

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:25 PM »
k thanks

Was out today and no one was catching any perch but ususally we catch them in 30 to 45 feet of water...

Offline Hardwateraddicton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Try in a little more shallow for perch this early, around points and known weed bed areas. Oxygen levels here should still be a lil higher due to vegetation, especialy if south facing. Deeper of course as the season continues... and move, move, move! If your using electronics have a buddy drill while you check for fish. When you find them, make swiss cheese around there and hit it hard, that way when the school moves you can move with them. Somedays its fun to just sit and wait for them while you get a tan but being aggressive will typically ice more fish! Good Luck
Jig... Jig... Thump!!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Perch on CF have been tough this year.  I would agree to try shallower this early.  Everybody is fishing the same spots they normally fish but to my knowledge this is the earliest its ever froze up.  We fished all over yesterday and got one.  It sounds like thats how everyone else has done.  Good sized perch but few and far between.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Perch on CF have been tough this year.  I would agree to try shallower this early.  Everybody is fishing the same spots they normally fish but to my knowledge this is the earliest its ever froze up.  We fished all over yesterday and got one.  It sounds like thats how everyone else has done.  Good sized perch but few and far between.

Was any one driving 4 whellers done that far yet

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Yeah, we were too, but be careful.  Ice is 9" yesterday but the weather is supposed to be WARM for a bit.  It was 48 on my truck temp yesterday.  That coupled with pressure ridges all over the place make it really hard to get around.  Like I said, just be carefull out there.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:30 PM »
thanks for the info might just wait another week before i drive down there on the bike better to be safe than sorry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.