The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: SW Pennsylvania ice please!  (Read 600 times)

Offline Aaron McDonald

• IceShanty Rookie
SW Pennsylvania ice please!
« on: Jan 16, 2024, 03:48 AM »
New to Ice Shanty, anyone else from SW Pennsylvania? Fayette, Washington, Westmoreland County areas? 2 years ago we had a decent ice season, last year I think High Point had like one week of fishable ice but I didn't make it. Wife and I are getting the itch to go and it's looking promising, cept for the 50 degree upcoming weather next week, lol. An interesting concept I've come up with is 2 years ago, after ice out we had a much better open water season then this past year. Idk if the ice has anything to do with it I think it might. Wife and I love to fish for Flathead Catfish and 2 years ago (when we had a solid ice season) we hammered them. Last year (no ice season) not so much. Has anyone experienced similar events when the years we have ice=better open water?

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: SW Pennsylvania ice please!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:37 PM »
i live about 20 miles east of pittsburgh pa . love icefishing when we have safe ice
looks like its highpoint again for any safe ice this year thats a shame .
nice kat in your pic . maybe arthur will be safe on muddy creek arm by this weekend ?
good luck and be safe
harry

Offline OhhDam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:37 PM »
20 miles east of Pittsburgh, you’re in a good spot. I imagine you can get to Acme, Twin Lakes, Laurel hill, Donegal, pretty quick. And Glendale or Black Moshannon for pike. Many of these are high elevation and early freeze spots. Being South of pgh I’ve wished many times to be closer to the highlands.

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:43 PM »
ohhdam i fish alot of those lakes . im 25 minutes from twin lakes and an hour and 15 to glendale
25 minutes from keystone in westmoreland and 45 minutes from keystone power dam in armstrong .
 but with the crappy winters we have been having its been highpoint or arthur for ice .
fished black moshanon once caught a bunch of pickerel and i like icefishing glendale when possible.
goint to highpoint friday if your free stop out

Offline Aaron McDonald

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2024, 10:41 PM »
Thanks guys yeah I fish all those lakes open water season. I wanted to go to High Point tomorrow (Saturday) then see what's up at Acme on Sunday but I think the Wife and I are going to spend Saturday getting everything ready and then head to High Point on Sunday. And thanks, that Flathead in the picture was one of my best around 32 pounds. Really hoping to break that this upcoming year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.