The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2024 License  (Read 6019 times)

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2024 License
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:20 PM »
All I know is a Pennsylvania fishing license is chump change.  Beer money.  Chicken feed.  Peanuts.  Small potatoes.  Pocket money.  Drop in the bucket.  Smidgen.  Practically free.

It’s easy to understand now why you think that, because you’re not paying for one.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:25 PM »

It’s easy to understand now why you think that, because you’re not paying for one.
A Senior Resident lifetime license is $86.97 and the 10 year trout permit is $131.97.  Chump change.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:59 PM »
A Senior Resident lifetime license is $86.97 and the 10 year trout permit is $131.97.  Chump change.

No wonder you feel it’s such a bargain, you’ve got the rest of license buyers subsidizing your license cost.

I’m glad that the local 16-17 year old kids that have to buy a license to fish farm ponds can help offset the cost for the retired guys that chase the stocking trucks around every day.

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 15, 2024, 05:46 PM »
I bought a lifetime license last year when I turned 65 , but I bought a regular fishing license for 50 years sponsored kids to fish and taken many of kids fishing , boating , ice fishing not to mention the hunting / shooting part of that. I now pay licenses and insurances for 2 -boats , 2 -4x4 trucks , a 30 ft. camper and my wife's new Explorer . I find it offensive for you to say we seniors are shirking on the cost of a fishing license , when after all a lot of you younger fishermen were taken fishing by one us seniors to begin with.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:34 PM »
I bought a lifetime license last year when I turned 65 , but I bought a regular fishing license for 50 years sponsored kids to fish and taken many of kids fishing , boating , ice fishing not to mention the hunting / shooting part of that. I now pay licenses and insurances for 2 -boats , 2 -4x4 trucks , a 30 ft. camper and my wife's new Explorer . I find it offensive for you to say we seniors are shirking on the cost of a fishing license , when after all a lot of you younger fishermen were taken fishing by one us seniors to begin with.

What does paying for insurance on your wife’s explorer have to do with any of this? I pay insurance on my vehicles and home too. It’s got nothing to do with the price of a fishing license, unless you just wanted to show off and tell the whole internet that you own a camper. Good for you man.

As far as getting a discount on your license, that’s fine, just don’t sit here and tell me what a bargain it is, when you guys are paying a fraction of the price.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:41 PM »
Thank you, Sir.  You are correct.  I agree that fishing/boating/hunting is a wonderful opportunity in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  This year I’m going to purchase some of the voluntary permits available.  I’m thinking about the voluntary 10 year Bass permit for $101.97 and the voluntary ten year Trout permit for $251.97.  The waters and fishery of this beautiful state are precious, and need to be protected.

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:46 PM »
Thank you, Sir.  You are correct.  I agree that fishing/boating/hunting is a wonderful opportunity in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  This year I’m going to purchase some of the voluntary permits available.  I’m thinking about the voluntary 10 year Bass permit for $101.97 and the voluntary ten year Trout permit for $251.97.  The waters and fishery of this beautiful state are precious, and need to be protected.
[/

The topic says license ,,,,,not fishing licenses .

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:50 PM »
sorry that was supposed to go on supperx2nuts quote

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:51 PM »
[/

I believe both are appropriate.  Fishing and Hunting licenses.  But this is a fishing site, so I was commenting on that primarily.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:52 PM »
sorry that was supposed to go on supperx2nuts quote
No problem. 

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 15, 2024, 07:09 PM »
One more thing I will add to this is when I renew my boat licenses there is a fuel use survey for ever gallon of fuel I buy it has state and federal tax on it ,all the state tax goes back to the FBC to their fund.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 15, 2024, 11:07 PM »

...and a rip off too!

$43 per year with trout stamp................a nd I average over 50 days per year fishing, so that comes out to less than a dollar a day(of fishing.) Yeah, what a rip-off!   ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11:36 AM »

This is a fishing website, I would agree that fishing licenses, boat registrations and maybe even perhaps hunting licenses would be relevant points of conversation. Vehicle registrations and how much you spend to stay at Jellystone camping resort are not applicable.

I really don’t give a hoot about what your wife drives, how long your camper is, or how many 4x4s you have. I don’t see how any of it pertains to the topic at hand.

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 16, 2024, 12:33 PM »
This is a fishing website, I would agree that fishing licenses, boat registrations and maybe even perhaps hunting licenses would be relevant points of conversation. Vehicle registrations and how much you spend to stay at Jellystone camping resort are not applicable.

I really don’t give a hoot about what your wife drives, how long your camper is, or how many 4x4s you have. I don’t see how any of it pertains to the topic at hand.

I'm sorry for your frustration and your state of poverty , but send me a PM and I will sent the cost of your fishing license then we can all be friends .

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 16, 2024, 12:46 PM »

I'm sorry for your frustration and your state of poverty , but send me a PM and I will sent the cost of your fishing license then we can all be friends .

That won’t be necessary, my finances are just fine and I can more than afford the cost of the license. Some people just prefer not to make the entire world aware of what items they possess, the drivetrain capability of their trucks and the length of the recreation vehicles.

It’s merely that I wish the license dollars were better used and that the PFBC provided better services when the cost of the license increases. I personally feel that many other states, where it will soon be cheaper for me to purchase a license as a non resident do a much better job with the services that are important to me.

I also am not interested in being friends which someone who feels the need to gloat like a school yard bully about the things they have. You may be old enough for a senior license, but you’re acting like a 3rd grader.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Jan 16, 2024, 01:04 PM »
Goodness, on New Years Day I sit down at the computer and buy fishing licenses in NH, Maine and VT. NH resident with salt water is like $60, Maine is $64 and VT is $54. You oughta count your lucky stars.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 16, 2024, 01:08 PM »
Goodness, on New Years Day I sit down at the computer and buy fishing licenses in NH, Maine and VT. NH resident with salt water is like $60, Maine is $64 and VT is $54. You oughta count your lucky stars.

Again, I also buy multiple states fishing licenses each year. I don’t mind spending the money. However of all the states I fish or have fished in the past, PA provides the lowest level of services for the money.

I would willingly spend more in PA,
If they would run a tighter ship.

Edited to add this:

Thanks for bringing up New Hampshire. It’s another great example of a state that receives general fund money to its fish and game agency, has the 4th highest property taxes in the nation and stocks about 1 million trout each year. That’s a lot of trout for a small state. NH is about 1/4 the size of PA and is stocking 1/4 the number of trout. The trout per square mile of state ratio is about the same for both states.

Offline OhhDam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 16, 2024, 04:37 PM »
Glad I’m not the only gump chucking out fishing license money for 3 states plus a week pass for whatever beach I make it to that year. Seriously. My brother will be like **censored** you doing, just because there is water doesn’t mean you have to fish. And I then wonder how we’re even related.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:20 PM »
Amen, brother.  Every state has different fees and different management.  But most are fairly close in price. 

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:39 PM »
Amen, brother.  Every state has different fees and different management.  But most are fairly close in price.

The one exception is the aforementioned  states are scientifically based while pa is law enforcement  based.  A huge difference in philosophy and management.   

Stock cold water species in a warm water pond.  No problem PA.  Sell that license!  Sell the power bait!

Protect the wetlands?  We're  too busy busting some guys for not having a whistle on his boat.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:50 PM »
The one exception is the aforementioned  states are scientifically based while pa is law enforcement  based.  A huge difference in philosophy and management.   

Stock cold water species in a warm water pond.  No problem PA.  Sell that license!  Sell the power bait!

Protect the wetlands?  We're  too busy busting some guys for not having a whistle on his boat.

PA has created a culture of fishing that has become waiting around for the stocking truck. The biggest expense is the trout program, but it sells licenses. It sells so many licenses that the PFBC can’t make any scientifically directed changes to the stocking program or trout hatcheries. So much emphasis is placed on this, that everything else that isn’t trout related plays second fiddle.

PA trout are laden with diseases. Many of the PA hatcheries have diseases that when detected in other states hatcheries, they close them down and clean them out. Bacterial Kidney Disease is a great example of this, as well as furunculosis.

So they continue to year after year to pump out trout after trout at great expense mind you, so they can sell licenses to keep the lights on. 

Offline Taildancing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11:09 PM »
We better start fishing soon because all the ice holes are out.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:54 AM »
;D

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:50 AM »

You haven’t been out yet? I fished NY last week and today is my first day on PA ice this year.

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 17, 2024, 10:40 AM »
 :whistle: Me over here excited to pay whatever fee I have to so I can get some lines wet...

maybe some of the more ambitious ice members could spend time writing letters to our representatives, something along the lines of subsidizing licenses for less fortunate members of our great Keystone State!

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:24 AM »
How can you complain about the cost of a fishing license when we have such a great salmon fishery here in PA!  Lol...

https://www.facebook.com/100068839045248/posts/695160569455238/?mibextid=l2hJJHjNVOBSwHk4

Offline Taildancing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:25 AM »

You haven’t been out yet? I fished NY last week and today is my first day on PA ice this year.
    Headed to camp in morning. Going to fish Presque Isle for perch.

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #117 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:41 AM »
Fisherman can be the problem too.  Resource sustainability is a group effort.  When there's people keeping mature spawning females that's a problem for any lake, any state.  The amount of 20+ inch bass I see on the ice at Moraine is embarrassing, I don't think the common ice fisherman is struggling to feed there family so keeping 20+ inch bass, idk I just will never get it and I don't even try to, and if your reasoning is "well I like the taste", ok I understand, you purchased a license and are following the regulations, the regulation is wrong, you're not.   a lot  of anglers on here would wack a 28"+ walleye too for nuggets rather than release that fish to spawn in March, same things for the breeder crappie.  Canada and Minnesota you can only keep 1 walleye over 22" (trophy) per day.  People need to be more respectful of the resources. 

That being said if you want big walleye fish the rivers.  The biggest walleye in this state are in the rivers.... not Erie or any other inland lake.
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:06 PM »
:whistle: Me over here excited to pay whatever fee I have to so I can get some lines wet...

maybe some of the more ambitious ice members could spend time writing letters to our representatives, something along the lines of subsidizing licenses for less fortunate members of our great Keystone State!

I think that was the point of the senior license, as we often hear that they are living on a limited income, but some senior license holders who post here seem to have a garage full of 4x4 trucks, multiple boats and brand new foes explorers for the misses. Ohhh, I almost forgot the 30 foot camper.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:17 PM »
How can you complain about the cost of a fishing license when we have such a great salmon fishery here in PA!  Lol...

https://www.facebook.com/100068839045248/posts/695160569455238/?mibextid=l2hJJHjNVOBSwHk4

This is funny, but also sad at the same time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.