The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2024 License  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2024 License
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2024, 12:35 PM »
Fishing sure beats wasting your money on a sports team,paying to park,paying for the ticket paying for 10 dollar beers and hot dogs.A fishing license is the best value out there.Walking around with a 300 dollar shirt that your favorite no longer even has on team seems kinda dumb to me. But this is all just my opinion and everyone has one
Fishing sure beats wasting your money on a sports team,paying to park,paying for the ticket paying for 10 dollar beers and hot dogs.A fishing license is the best value out there.Walking around with a 300 dollar shirt that your favorite no longer even has on team seems kinda dumb to me. But this is all just my opinion and everyone has one

Fishing is great.  Being taxed to do so isn't so great.

I love fishing for stripers, in New York, on the Hudson River.  The cost if free.  Just like it should be, but I guess you can't enjoy fishing unless you're taxed for it.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2024, 03:05 PM »
Don't want to be "taxed"?

Don't buy a license.

Then you can sit at home and whine on the computer fulltime!!!

Seems pretty simple to me...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2024, 03:15 PM »
Don't want to be "taxed"?

Don't buy a license.

Then you can sit at home and whine on the computer fulltime!!!

Seems pretty simple to me...

Or build your own pond....

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:22 PM »
Or build your own pond....

I don’t know how much longer we can count on that.

PFBC has implemented a notice of stocking program that requires you to notify them of any fish added to your own ponds, threatening a 150 dollar fine for non compliance. I can absolutely see this becoming something that they will want to charge for in the future.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2024, 05:27 PM »
Fishing is great.  Being taxed to do so isn't so great.

I love fishing for stripers, in New York, on the Hudson River.  The cost if free.  Just like it should be, but I guess you can't enjoy fishing unless you're taxed for it.
I’ve never fished the Hudson, but fishing is definitely not free in NY.  I have non-resident license that cost me $50.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2024, 07:19 PM »
You don't need to buy a fishing license to fish the Atlantic and saltwater tributaries in New Yuk. They just want you to register, which has no fee.

Offline delfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release 247
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2024, 10:21 AM »
I’ve never fished the Hudson, but fishing is definitely not free in NY.  I have non-resident license that cost me $50.
I live in Delaware and a non resident  Pa license it $75+/- for me , Gotta pay to play!
There's nothing better in life then being outside on a cold winter day hanging around with a bunch of icehole's

Offline OhhDam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2024, 10:43 AM »
Del, I'm dropping $150 for the non resident annual Delaware surf fishing permits for OSV. These double fee out of state taxes are brutal.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:01 AM »
Beer's not free. Gasoline's not free.  Beef steak's not free.

Why should fishing be?
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Icehoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Wallenpaupack
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2024, 12:43 PM »
Anyone have any ice conditions for Lake Wallenapupack?

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:45 AM »
Beer's not free. Gasoline's not free.  Beef steak's not free.

Why should fishing be?

Beer, gasoline, and steaks are all products that have been produced by someone and thus have inherent value by both the producer and the consumer. If I don’t think that Farmer Joe’s steaks are worth $12.99/lb, I’m welcome to buy Farmer Dan’s steaks instead. Unfortunately we don’t have that option when to comes to state agencies. If I want to drive down the road and fish my buddy’s farm pond, somehow the state feels entitled to charge me for that, even though they don’t have a dime invested.

I don’t mind paying license fees to fish public water, if I feel that the agency is spending wisely with my license fees. However, in the case of the PFBC, I don’t get that feeling anymore. Poor facilities, overflowing port-a-johns and unplowed access areas all leave me pretty dissatisfied.

In addition to my license fees each year, I’m also charged for my boat registration, which took several months to receive the last time around. When I would call and inquire on the status of my registration, I’d be told to continue to use my expired temporary 90 day registration, but that wouldn’t cover me in other states. So I missed out on several fishing trips to NY because of PFBC ineptitude.

This year a PA resident license would cost me $2 dollars less than the comparable privileges in NY as a non resident. That just doesn’t seem right to me.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2024, 03:39 PM »
Beer, gasoline, and steaks are all products that have been produced by someone and thus have inherent value by both the producer and the consumer. If I don’t think that Farmer Joe’s steaks are worth $12.99/lb, I’m welcome to buy Farmer Dan’s steaks instead. Unfortunately we don’t have that option when to comes to state agencies. If I want to drive down the road and fish my buddy’s farm pond, somehow the state feels entitled to charge me for that, even though they don’t have a dime invested.

I don’t mind paying license fees to fish public water, if I feel that the agency is spending wisely with my license fees. However, in the case of the PFBC, I don’t get that feeling anymore. Poor facilities, overflowing port-a-johns and unplowed access areas all leave me pretty dissatisfied.

In addition to my license fees each year, I’m also charged for my boat registration, which took several months to receive the last time around. When I would call and inquire on the status of my registration, I’d be told to continue to use my expired temporary 90 day registration, but that wouldn’t cover me in other states. So I missed out on several fishing trips to NY because of PFBC ineptitude.

This year a PA resident license would cost me $2 dollars less than the comparable privileges in NY as a non resident. That just doesn’t seem right to me.
The cost of Pennsylvania fishing license and trout stamp is a little over $40.  That’s a little over $3.50 per month.  It’s mind blowing that you can fish 365 days per year for that little money. 

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:12 PM »

I looked up the regulations on farm ponds.  This is what it says: “Landowners and their family members who reside on their land throughout the year may fish on that land without a license.”

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:26 PM »
The cost of Pennsylvania fishing license and trout stamp is a little over $40.  That’s a little over $3.50 per month.  It’s mind blowing that you can fish 365 days per year for that little money.

$40 dollars for a license is the cheapest fishing related item that I will purchase all year long.  Rods, reels, lures, bait, gas, food, ect.  All add up to be way more than $40 over the course of the year. 

I'd rather complain about my car registration going up another $5 or $10 than complain about the cost of a fishing license.  At least you get something out of your fishing license, I can't say I get anything out of sending the state $45 to register my car.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:22 PM »
Its always entertaining to listen to stateists defend a tax.

I actually had to call the PFBC to find out when my registration was coming last year. Eventually I got it. Dont know **censored** they were doing. Maybe still afraid to come to work because of covid.

The amount I am taxed for licenses and registrations just to be legal to go fishing is asinine enough, then I have to hold their hand and push them to get the pieces of paper on top of it. Soon getting to the point I won't bother. I'm tired of rewarding poor performance with my money.

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:39 PM »
I wish they would raise the fee to $200 , then maybe they could stock warm water fish and improve the states fishery . As it is right now we are surrounded by states with much better fishing . Like the commi state of New yuk .

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:17 PM »
I looked up the regulations on farm ponds.  This is what it says: “Landowners and their family members who reside on their land throughout the year may fish on that land without a license.”

That’s correct, my gripe is that if I chose to drive down the road to my friends pond, then I am required to have a license.

I can fish my own pond without.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:21 PM »
More funding doesnt mean better service. Government has proven that over and over again.

The PFBC does seem to favor trout and muskie stocking but they do stock a lot of others. That said their stocking doesn't mean much when fish get killed do to water discharge temp, pollution etc. The entity gets fined but none of it goes to replenish the fish killed. That's not the pfbcs fault, thats bad state law.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2024, 07:49 PM »
More funding doesnt mean better service. Government has proven that over and over again.

The PFBC does seem to favor trout and muskie stocking but they do stock a lot of others. That said their stocking doesn't mean much when fish get killed do to water discharge temp, pollution etc. The entity gets fined but none of it goes to replenish the fish killed. That's not the pfbcs fault, thats bad state law.

I’m not sure where you came to that conclusion, but it’s not the case. In the event of an environmental pollution event, or violation, both the PFBC and the DEP will issue fines.

In some cases, only one agency will issue a fine.

You may recall the sodium hydroxide spill on a tributary to the portage creek a number of years back. There was a pretty steep fine leveled by the PFBC and DEP, and some of that money was set aside for grants within the Sinnemahoning watershed. I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn that several times, thousands of dollars of that grant money was given to a PFBC co-op nursery that isn’t even in the same watershed.

Did I mention that co-op is run by a former PFBC commissioner?

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:14 PM »
Its always entertaining to listen to stateists defend a tax.

I actually had to call the PFBC to find out when my registration was coming last year. Eventually I got it. Dont know **censored** they were doing. Maybe still afraid to come to work because of covid.

The amount I am taxed for licenses and registrations just to be legal to go fishing is asinine enough, then I have to hold their hand and push them to get the pieces of paper on top of it. Soon getting to the point I won't bother. I'm tired of rewarding poor performance with my money.
There is no requirement for you to go fishing.  Go to Walmart and buy a license.  It’s REALLY easy. 

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:15 PM »

The license with Erie permit and trout stamp combo is actually $48.94. For $1.06 more I can fish for all species of fish in NY as well as two Great Lakes as a Non-Resident. That’s pretty steep for a resident license if you ask me.

I wouldn’t mind paying that, or even more if I felt the money was being used in a productive way. I really feel that all of my license dollars go toward the stocked trout program. Last I knew, the trout program takes up over half of the PFBC budget every year. 

I have an odd work schedule, so I am often fishing with my young daughter. Last year we fished the same PFBC lake twice, both times finding the portable toilets to be overflowing and absolutely disgusting. I’m not asking for much, a half decent boat ramp, ample parking spaces and a clean place that my child can use the restroom.  We stick to fishing State Parks or Army Corps lakes now, the facilities there are almost always very clean.

I even don’t mind paying extra for boat ramps in NY state parks or municipal launches at Dunkirk and Barcelona. They’ve got clean restrooms and wonderful ramps.

Again, show me that you can use my money wisely, and I’ll pay more.   

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:34 PM »
The license with Erie permit and trout stamp combo is actually $48.94. For $1.06 more I can fish for all species of fish in NY as well as two Great Lakes as a Non-Resident. That’s pretty steep for a resident license if you ask me.

I wouldn’t mind paying that, or even more if I felt the money was being used in a productive way. I really feel that all of my license dollars go toward the stocked trout program. Last I knew, the trout program takes up over half of the PFBC budget every year. 

I have an odd work schedule, so I am often fishing with my young daughter. Last year we fished the same PFBC lake twice, both times finding the portable toilets to be overflowing and absolutely disgusting. I’m not asking for much, a half decent boat ramp, ample parking spaces and a clean place that my child can use the restroom.  We stick to fishing State Parks or Army Corps lakes now, the facilities there are almost always very clean.

I even don’t mind paying extra for boat ramps in NY state parks or municipal launches at Dunkirk and Barcelona. They’ve got clean restrooms and wonderful ramps.

Again, show me that you can use my money wisely, and I’ll pay more.
I don’t know what to tell you.  If $48.94 a year is breaking you, you probably shouldn’t be fishing.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:36 PM »
There is no requirement for you to go fishing.  You sound lazy.  Go to Walmart and buy a license.  It’s REALLY easy.  LOL

Already have my license. Just tired of being taxed to death. Maybe if you ever produce anything of value you will understand.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:41 PM »
I’m not sure where you came to that conclusion, but it’s not the case. In the event of an environmental pollution event, or violation, both the PFBC and the DEP will issue fines.

In some cases, only one agency will issue a fine.

You may recall the sodium hydroxide spill on a tributary to the portage creek a number of years back. There was a pretty steep fine leveled by the PFBC and DEP, and some of that money was set aside for grants within the Sinnemahoning watershed. I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn that several times, thousands of dollars of that grant money was given to a PFBC co-op nursery that isn’t even in the same watershed.

Did I mention that co-op is run by a former PFBC commissioner?

I mainly follow the sections of the Susquehanna I fish. They have mentioned no fines from the pfbc on the half dozen occasions I saw. If the pfbc is getting money and not replacing the damaged stock then they are obviously to blame as well.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:39 PM »
I don’t know what to tell you.  If $48.94 a year is breaking you, you probably shouldn’t be fishing.

$48.94 isn’t breaking me, I just like to see my money used wisely and government agencies to be held accountable if they don’t.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:02 AM »
Already have my license. Just tired of being taxed to death. Maybe if you ever produce anything of value you will understand.
LOL. I worked for over 40 years and now I’m retired.  I pay taxes, too.  The license fee is well worth the price.  And no one is forced to pay it.  If you go to dinner with your wife you’ll spend that much in one night.  Enough said.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:06 AM »
LOL. I worked for over 40 years and now I’m retired.  I pay taxes, too.  The license fee is well worth the price.  And no one is forced to pay it.  If you go to dinner with your wife you’ll spend that much in one night.  Enough said.

You sir, have earned a PhD in rationalization. 

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:34 AM »
You sir, have earned a PhD in rationalization.
Guilty as charged, Joe.  It’s the way my brain works, I suppose.  I pay over $20 to get a haircut once a month, and I certainly don’t get much pleasure in that.  Fishing I look forward to.  This wait for ice is agonizing!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2024, 05:19 PM »

I figured, sitting at home and collecting a government check.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:23 PM »
I figured, sitting at home and collecting a government check.
I haven’t even started collecting Social Security.  I assume you’ll turn it down once you’re eligible. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.