The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2024 License  (Read 5998 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2024 License
« Reply #120 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:45 PM »
We better start fishing soon because all the ice holes are out.

LMBO! 🤣🤣🤣
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:46 PM »
:whistle: Me over here excited to pay whatever fee I have to so I can get some lines wet...

maybe some of the more ambitious ice members could spend time writing letters to our representatives, something along the lines of subsidizing licenses for less fortunate members of our great Keystone State!

Great idea!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 17, 2024, 04:09 PM »
This is funny, but also sad at the same time.

Making fake posts on Facebook is pretty low even the PA fish commission.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 17, 2024, 04:36 PM »
Making fake posts on Facebook is pretty low even the PA fish commission.

I’m pretty sure they didn’t intend it as a joke, I think whoever makes their social media posts doesn’t have a firm understanding of fish identification.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:07 PM »
This is funny, but also sad at the same time.

What’s up with this? I don’t do FaceBook.............. ......🤔
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:18 PM »
What’s up with this? I don’t do FaceBook.............. ......🤔
I couldn’t see it, either.  I thought FB was dead.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:27 PM »

PFBC has since removed the post. I’m not a salmon fisherman, but I’m Pretty sure that’s the dam at Oswego.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:51 PM »
Thanks.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:52 PM »

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #129 on: Jan 26, 2024, 08:24 AM »
look at that pic closely I can only  see one hand holding that fish or is my vision going bad

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 26, 2024, 09:24 AM »

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 26, 2024, 01:28 PM »
Marinas should be under private ownership.

Perhaps they should be, however the PFBC charges me an additional fee for the privilege of fishing Lake Erie, under the guise of procuring access. They will now only have two PFBC launches on Lake Erie, with the Elk Creek launch always being silted in to the point that it’s unusable.

Anglers will now have to drive 45 minutes to the remaining PFBC launch at Walnut Creek.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 26, 2024, 02:26 PM »

Why?

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 26, 2024, 03:54 PM »
Perhaps they should be, however the PFBC charges me an additional fee for the privilege of fishing Lake Erie, under the guise of procuring access. They will now only have two PFBC launches on Lake Erie, with the Elk Creek launch always being silted in to the point that it’s unusable.

Anglers will now have to drive 45 minutes to the remaining PFBC launch at Walnut Creek.
Oh well.  I have to drive 225 miles to get to Erie.  It’s not fair!  :laugh:

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 26, 2024, 03:55 PM »

Why?
Same reason bait and tackle shops should be under private ownership.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 26, 2024, 05:09 PM »
Oh well.  I have to drive 225 miles to get to Erie.  It’s not fair!  :laugh:

You don’t purchase the Erie permit. ( Which was to be a temporary fee by the way) You’re not paying the extra fee that is supposed to be supporting this couple of boat ramps and extra services specific to Lake Erie. I could live 300 miles away and if I was paying an extra fee for these services, I’d still be pretty miffed when the fee increase, and they close 1/2 of their boat ramps.

PFBC now has one usable ramp on Lake Erie. Walnut Creek sees a ton of use can be very crowded now, I can only imagine the lines to launch on a Saturday morning now.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 26, 2024, 05:10 PM »
You don’t purchase the Erie permit. ( Which was to be a temporary fee by the way) You’re not paying the extra fee that is supposed to be supporting this couple of boat ramps and extra services specific to Lake Erie. I could live 300 miles away and if I was paying an extra fee for these services, I’d still be pretty miffed when the fee increase, and they close 1/2 of their boat ramps.

PFBC now has one usable ramp on Lake Erie. Walnut Creek sees a ton of use can be very crowded now, I can only imagine the lines to launch on a Saturday morning now.
Better get there early.
Edit:  A Lake Erie permit is $10.  Are you seriously complaining?

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 26, 2024, 05:53 PM »
Better get there early.
Edit:  A Lake Erie permit is $10.  Are you seriously complaining?

I’m frustrated with the level of service in receiving for the amount of money I’m forced to spend. It’s only ten bucks, but it’s a fee that was designed to compensate PA commercial anglers after they banned the use of gill nets in the lake for a few years.

Then it was decided that those wanting to fish Erie and it’s tributaries would have to continue to purchase the additional stamp and that money would be specifically set aside for Lake Erie and tributary access. Currently the majority of the money goes towards purchasing easements and access on the tributaries for “steelhead” fisherman.

You know steelhead right? Those large rainbow trout, raised in a hatchery. They cost lots of money to raise, feed and truck to the streams. It’s about to cost a lot more, because substantial improvements need to be made at the Fairview Hatchery due to invasive species detected in the hatchery, as well as other pathogen issues.

As I stated before, PFBC has three boat ramps on 76 miles of shoreline. Northeast, which they are getting rid of, Elk Creek which is in such poor condition it’s unusable, and Walnut Creek. If I want to troll for walleye (the naturally reproducing fish that PFBC doesn’t need to raise in a hatchery) on the mountain now, and use a PFBC ramp, that I’m paying extra for the privilege to use, I must now drive 45 minutes out of my way, then turn around and run back 20 miles to the east in the boat to get on the fish.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable by being upset that the PFBC has mismanaged these funds and left the Northeast Marina in such disrepair that they are just going to walk away from it. 

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 26, 2024, 06:00 PM »
I’m frustrated with the level of service in receiving for the amount of money I’m forced to spend. It’s only ten bucks, but it’s a fee that was designed to compensate PA commercial anglers after they banned the use of gill nets in the lake for a few years.

Then it was decided that those wanting to fish Erie and it’s tributaries would have to continue to purchase the additional stamp and that money would be specifically set aside for Lake Erie and tributary access. Currently the majority of the money goes towards purchasing easements and access on the tributaries for “steelhead” fisherman.

You know steelhead right? Those large rainbow trout, raised in a hatchery. They cost lots of money to raise, feed and truck to the streams. It’s about to cost a lot more, because substantial improvements need to be made at the Fairview Hatchery due to invasive species detected in the hatchery, as well as other pathogen issues.

As I stated before, PFBC has three boat ramps on 76 miles of shoreline. Northeast, which they are getting rid of, Elk Creek which is in such poor condition it’s unusable, and Walnut Creek. If I want to troll for walleye (the naturally reproducing fish that PFBC doesn’t need to raise in a hatchery) on the mountain now, and use a PFBC ramp, that I’m paying extra for the privilege to use, I must now drive 45 minutes out of my way, then turn around and run back 20 miles to the east in the boat to get on the fish.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable by being upset that the PFBC has mismanaged these funds and left the Northeast Marina in such disrepair that they are just going to walk away from it.
Actually, if you get the combination trout/erie permit it’s $16.  So the Erie permit amounts to $6.  And I googled Erie boat ramps.  There are many.  Just not all managed by PFBC.  And the article you posted says they are going to find someone to manage that marina. 

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Jan 26, 2024, 06:25 PM »
Actually, if you get the combination trout/erie permit it’s $16.  So the Erie permit amounts to $6.  And I googled Erie boat ramps.  There are many.  Just not all managed by PFBC.  And the article you posted says they are going to find someone to manage that marina.

What did google tell you about Shades beach? Do you know that it’s silted in most of time and it’s possible that my boat won’t make it out into the lake? It’s still a nine to ten mile run from Lampe out to the mountain.

Northeast was a quick 3 mile run out, and the concessionaire did a great job with what he had to work with. 

Are the agencies responsible for the other ramps charging me a fee specifically earmarked for access, but then passing the buck on 1/3 of their lake accesses? I didn’t think so. It still is the Pennsylvania fish and BOAT commission right?

I really hope someone is able to purchase the marina and I really hope that the current concessionaire is able to keep operating. He’s a nice person and it’s really a shame that the PFBC has not held up their end of the deal here. I’m afraid that the PFBC neglect over the years will make it much more of a burden for someone to purchase it.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 26, 2024, 07:41 PM »

I think marinas should be private too. but there should be public boat ramps on state owned lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.