Author Topic: Body Material on Simcoe Bug Jigs  (Read 1462 times)

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Body Material on Simcoe Bug Jigs
« on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:11 AM »
Can someone please tell me what that plastic material is that they use for the bodies of Simcoe Bugs?

They are not available where I live and since I can tie basic flies, I figured I could try making some for myself.....

Thanks,

Phil

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Body Material on Simcoe Bug Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:39 PM »
Not being the tyer of the Simcoe Scud I also am a fly tyer and I would venture to guess that the material used is similar to the waspi scud back or sow scud stretchy materials. Just check the web for scud back materials,  you might also throw on a coat of UV resin.

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:46 PM »
Ton of similar patterns ive come across m most use good feathers or some kind of avian source, but definitely some synthetic materials that can provide the same effect. What I've come across (in limited experience) is that different materials may require a different weight for the beae/cone head to achieve the same action in the water. But, generally speaking as someone who had improvised tons of patterns based solely on what material I had on hand or what looked good to me, getting the overall appearance right is the first concern, how you fish it is second
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2023, 08:59 PM »
 Simon at simcobug.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.