Author Topic: Panfish rod length?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Panfish rod length?
« on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:22 PM »
23, 27, or 30" for an ultralight panfish rod? Looking to upgrade this season.

I don't have a flip over, so that tight space isn't a concern.  I generally like shorter rods (sitting closer to the hole) but curious of any benefits of the longer rods.

Offline mofishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Panfish rod length?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:37 PM »
For pan fish it won’t really matter that much. Typically the longer the rod the better it absorbs big head shakes. That won’t be too much of a concern with panfish though.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:59 AM »
I love my 36" deadmeat for perch and crappie, but for those picky eaters I go to my 28" inline with a spring tip, can never beat the sensitivity of a spring.
I fish with all sizes of rods for panfish, from 19"rods sight fishing to 36" rod standing on the ice, I prefer a longer rod because I stand mostly and can get a better hookset, but if you sit a lot a shorter rod is not a bad option. 

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  Currently I'm using a spring on a cheap rod.  Catches fish but hate messing with the spring all the time.  I know that the Pickle Stick is lower than the proverbial hotdog on this site but my brother has one and the flat tip is impressively sensitive without needing a spring.  And he catches a ton of fish.

Not sure what I'm going with or even what action, as there's UL and ultra-UL nowadays.  Just curious on what you thought about length.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:51 AM »
I have a couple of 28” medium action rods I use constantly….they handle big crappie an white perch with no problem…
This season I’m looking at a Clam 32” Katana rod..medium action see how that goes…
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2022, 02:50 PM »
23, 27, or 30" for an ultralight panfish rod? Looking to upgrade this season.

I don't have a flip over, so that tight space isn't a concern.  I generally like shorter rods (sitting closer to the hole) but curious of any benefits of the longer rods.

If you want a project, 34" sportsman's direct extreme taper glass rod....hands down my favorite panfish rod....but you need to build them yourself.  They're cheap, tho - $6 for the blank (which is a steal!).  Can cut them down to any length, but I like them as is best.  Simple cork handle, simple fly guides, glue on tip-top, epoxy 3x, and you're ready to fish.  Nice thing about building an ice rod is that they're fairly simple to do & you can build exactly what you want.  ;D

Lots of benefits of a longer rod...esp. glass....can set the hook better (longer swing arc), keeps fish pinned better, fish have a harder time throwing hooks, protects light leader line better, etc, etc.  Can shove the rod down the hole if fish take off running or drag freezes up.  That longer rod allows better transition zones for rod taper....so very thin tip on the 34"....but still plenty of backbone.  I think they're more comfortable fishing outside, too - but that's personal preference.   I've also used that rod to catch 4+ lb LM, lakers, + 1 cusk, so it can handle bigger fish that you run into while panfishing.

2nd choice would be some kind of shorter noodle rod w/ 2 lb mono for finicky fish.  I built my own for that, too - but noodle rods are a pain to build & I wouldn't recommend that.  You can buy your own at DH Customs or other custom ice rod builders (not cheap!  but if you go that route, get the REC Recoil guides for fishing outside).  Honestly, for noodle rods, I don't think you need a custom rod...but you do need larger guides for fishing a noodle outside...the really bad ones have tiny guides which constantly ice up & will drive you nuts!

If you wanted a good super inexpensive production noodle rod, I've seen alot of fish caught on the old HT Blue "Super Flex" ice rods (which are really noodle rods)....remove the rings on the handle....tape a good UL reel on it, light line & you're good to go.

For bigger lures, I mostly find myself fishing St. Croix sticks (graphite, fast action) - that's mostly to work the lures properly, tho.  Not b/c I think they fish better.

Good luck!   ;D

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2022, 06:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the input.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.