Author Topic: I Fish Pro or Jaw Jacker  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
I Fish Pro or Jaw Jacker
« on: Nov 21, 2022, 08:05 PM »
Have really gotten into ice fishing last 3 years. 19 years old, I have not developed the skill or patience to jig, I do like chasing flags and the occasional reeling in a big fish on a small pole, right now I use a HT ice rigger but have been looking at the I fish pro and a jawjacker wondering which is better? And if they are worth it, the issue with the wood simple design of the HT ice rigger is the flag isn’t always triggered and the lines freezes to side of the whole. Wondering if anyone has used either?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I Fish Pro or Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2022, 08:56 PM »
I’ve used both and have the HT one as well. In terms of your line freezing in the hole, you’re going to have that issue with the jaw jacker and IFish Pro. There are ways around, like keeping slush in the hole or using hole covers.

Jaw jackers tend to be better for trout and shallower fishing as they set the hook for you (I typically set the hook again when I grab the rod). While IFish pro’s are meant to be free spooling set ups.

Overall, I like the jawjackers better. They pack smaller, don’t require you to use a clip on your line to trigger the flag, etc. the IFish pro also sucks in any kind of wind unless you’re using bait feeder reels.

if I were you I’d check out the finicky fooler. Seems to be the best option right now in terms of an open bail/free running rod/flag system.
Tight Lines!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2022, 10:10 PM »
I fish IFish Pro with a small Shimano BaitRunner I ordered from the EU and I like the setup very much. I use it mostly in New Hampshire for lakers where you are only allowed 2 lines, one Ifish and the other is a jigging rod in my hand. I think it comes down to what type of fishing you are doing. I can clearly see that if I was chasing rainbows in shallow water an auto hooker has some real advantages. I like my rainbows in a river on a fly rod. For me setting the hook is one of the best parts of fishing and I don't enjoy fishing as much when I am not part of the hook set. I even find trolling disappointing as most of the time the fish is hooked when you pick up the rod.
I don't just use it for lakers;

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2022, 10:20 PM »
I fish IFish Pro with a small Shimano BaitRunner I ordered from the EU and I like the setup very much. I use it mostly in New Hampshire for lakers where you are only allowed 2 lines, one Ifish and the other is a jigging rod in my hand. I think it comes down to what type of fishing you are doing. I can clearly see that if I was chasing rainbows in shallow water an auto hooker has some real advantages. I like my rainbows in a river on a fly rod. For me setting the hook is one of the best parts of fishing and I don't enjoy fishing as much when I am not part of the hook set. I even find trolling disappointing as most of the time the fish is hooked when you pick up the rod.
I don't just use it for lakers;
(Image removed from quote.)

I couldn't agree more with your sentiment: Setting the hook is the best part of fishing. I used to love trolling and have done a lot of it, but have moved away from it more and more. I prefer holding the rod in my hands when the fish hits my lure, which is why I only jig through the ice and cast a single line through the soft water, rather than trolling multiple lines. Not passing any judgment on other techniques at all, but I've fished long enough to learn what kind of fishing I enjoy the most.
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2022, 10:49 PM »
Get a finicky fooler hooksetter and you can do both with it...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2022, 12:12 PM »
I've got some jackers, they work ok when the weather is nice... I had a few I fish's, gave them away to other shanty members, didn't like them at all. Best bet is try them all and see what fits your needs.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2022, 01:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for their advice. Trying to learn best I can, also bought a striper boat this year and quickly learned fishing is same as school or sports only get good after years of practice study and doing it over and over. I generally only fish for bass pickerel perch but would be happy to catch anything. Is a different hook set better for certain fish like the fish commenter said you want a hook set for trout? Thank you

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:07 PM »
So typically your auto hook setting devices tend to be better for trout (bows, brookies, etc.) because you tend to target them in shallow water and those types of fish are known to drop your bait fairly quickly. That doesn’t mean you’re limited to using them for those species though. I’ve used jaw jackers successfully 30 fow and have caught everything from yellow perch to lake trout on them
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.