Author Topic: Can we discuss pike?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can we discuss pike?
« on: Oct 20, 2022, 06:35 PM »
I am so excited to have planned a trip that (if there's ice) I want to take a day to myself and try for northerns, on a lake, to be more specific.

Yes, I have been looking online, but I'd love to hear from some of you as well. What would be your set up? I'm actually mostly curious as to the size and style of hook you would use.

I also want to see more discussion on this board, because there was skim ice on one of my water buckets and we need to be talking about icefishing.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Can we discuss pike?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2022, 09:50 PM »
Dam, I can't help, would like a lot of those answers myself, haven't fished for them much, hopefully we'll see some of that weather here soon, been hot as hell here still.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2022, 11:11 PM »
Guinea you just inquired about my favorite subject. For tipups i use a small treble hook on a 30# leader w/ sliding egg sinker about 18" above that ,which allows shiner, chub,etc. to swim from 1-3' from almost bottom. If ya got a shanty , look for around 6-8' fow & cut a bathtub size hole w/ same tackle setup on a jigging rod & sight hook em' . Keep a gaf hook handy for pulling em in . Also i keep a light jig rod near in case a stray big panfish or perch show up.
Welcome to your new addiction slushie!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Single 5/0 octopus.  Simple, easy, effective.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Bigger the bait the better!! agree with lowaccord on the hooks to use get owner brand hooks. a lot like pickerel they are aggressive and eat anything. As far as the chatter goes i think a lot of us are just gearing up to get some meat to cook on the ice for this year 7 more days till the smoke poles come out ;D ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2022, 10:26 AM »
I go back and forth between treble and j hook, but the one thing I think makes a difference is flourocarbon over wire.  Especially pre-made store bought wire leaders.  Way too much hardware for me.  I try for stealth.  I will not use anything less than 60lb flouro, as I have been bite off on 30lb, 40lb, and yes, 50 lb.  3'-5' leader length and big bait.  And fish near weeds.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2022, 12:41 PM »

No bait on treble hooks here in NH Guinea, if your spot is in NH..., but I am sure you knew that already...

Good luck getting after them. Make sure you have what you need to handle them after you have caught them...

Skim ice on boat cover - though I am holding out hopes of one more trip in it... good luck to those out there hunting...

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2022, 04:01 PM »
We aren't allowed to use live bait here, so I rig mackerels on home tied quick strike rigs with two #4 to #6 treble hooks. Typically set 1 to 3 feet off bottom 5 to 10 feet of water, near feeder creek if possible. I use 40 lbs fluoro leaders, again, everything hand tied, hate losing fish to cheaply made store bought leaders/snaps.

Don't know how many lines you are allowed, but if you can mix in live golden shiners in 4 to 5 inch range if you can find them, with oily dead bait like smelt, mackerel or sardines, you should get an idea of what works. I'd stick to a small treble under dorsal fin for live bait. Even caught a nice one on hot dog last winter.

Lastly, a cut proof or puncture proof glove helps landing them through ice hole, especially with quick strike rig.

Tight lines.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2022, 08:19 PM »
No bait on treble hooks here in NH Guinea, if your spot is in NH..., but I am sure you knew that already...

Good luck getting after them. Make sure you have what you need to handle them after you have caught them...

Skim ice on boat cover - though I am holding out hopes of one more trip in it... good luck to those out there hunting...

Yes, I did know that, but friendly reminders are always welcome! I will be in Vermont, though, and I think they allow everything except bringing bait across the border  ;). I do intend to study more, because that's probably wrong  lol.
Bigger the bait the better!! agree with lowaccord on the hooks to use get owner brand hooks. a lot like pickerel they are aggressive and eat anything. As far as the chatter goes i think a lot of us are just gearing up to get some meat to cook on the ice for this year 7 more days till the smoke poles come out ;D ;D

Yeah, I know, since I don't hunt, I go from summer to icefishing lol. Good luck to you out there!

Thank you for all the feedback I caught the common theme in your strategies, and I never really thought about the landing gear, so there was some good advice! Bigger pliers and Kevlar gloves.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2022, 07:18 AM »
You will definitely want an 8" jaw spreader and a hook out if you do not already have them.  These are inexpensive and well worth it.  I use a jaw gripper/scale to get the toothy critter out of the hole.  No lipping these guys and trying to get them by the gills is a plan of last resort.  The Jaw gripper/scales are all over the place on price.  I have a very expensive one because it was the only one made when I bought mine.  I am sure that the cheaper ones are just as good at holding the fish.  I sure that other people on here have experience with these.  In VT you can use a gaff however not in NH. 

I look forward to some good pictures.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2022, 06:20 PM »
Caught my PB Pike in VT last year as well. I'm an absolute novice and targeted them once and got some beginners luck. I targeted around 10 feet with visible weeds and I took my time drilling/looking for the right area before actually setting up. I went 40# Fluoro with owner mosquito hooks 2/0 (probably too small). I used the biggest shiners I could find (keeps the perch and smaller fish away as best as possible). And I would give my shiners a bleeding wound, typically near the tail so they would struggle, but stay alive.

Tight Lines!

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2022, 10:48 PM »
Yes, I did know that, but friendly reminders are always welcome! I will be in Vermont, though, and I think they allow everything except bringing bait across the border  ;). I do intend to study more, because that's probably wrong  lol.

Fishing bait on trebles is fine in Vermont. You're right about the bait as well, though there are a couple of New Hampshire bait shops along the border that sell bait that's Vermont licensed.

I'm hardly an expert, but I go small when I fish tip ups for pike. I use medium or heavy medium shiners on a single size 6 treble under a 20-pound fluoro leader. It has probably cost me an occasional bigger fish but I'd rather get more bites and I'm fine with picking up big perch as well. I've never had a bite off with the fluoro leaders, though I do need to retie fairly regularly.

Good luck this winter!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2022, 05:01 AM »
Nosaj I have all 3 of those and there always with me..👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Nosaj I have all 3 of those and there always with me..👍

Yes, they are the way to go 

Another thing Guinea, I keep a float on my Boga Grip so it doesn't end up on the bottom.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2022, 08:37 AM »
I also use them for lake trout… ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2022, 10:15 AM »
The only method that is important is the one that works for you. Be wary of advice from those who cant back it up with pics of 20#ers!  Anyone can find success with 30"ers and then tell you there way is the best. 

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2022, 03:15 PM »
     Guinea,
I fish them on CT river in Nosajs hood. My preference is 2'-10' of water, no shortage of weeds on the river setbacks... If less than 3 fow I stack snow and slush so the spool isn't is their face. 40-50lb fluro leader, I think a 1/0 or 2/0 gomagatsu octopus hook, big live bait. I adjust split shot as necessary. Good luck out there, see you at newfound!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2022, 07:14 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback!

My internet has been spotty, so I finally got a chance to see all the responses. I truly appreciate you all taking the time to help me get started.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.