Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Worst injury on ice?

<< < (8/10) > >>

Neil McCauley:
Haven't seen it or had it happen but one of my biggest fears is slipping and landing on an exposed auger blade. I cover that up the second I'm done drilling.

My actual worst was on softwater and getting a big 2/0 Rapala XD crankbait hook deep in my thumb.....while still attached to a pissed off 14" SMB. Once I got him off I had to deal with my self and cut the hook out.

FreshwaterPhil:
OK, yesterday's mishap seems to top my ice injury list. Trout spit the lure at the hole when I was about to land it, rod was loaded. Good thing I have pliers and bolt cutters in my kit.

maddogg:

--- Quote from: flyfish413 on Jan 08, 2022, 10:08 AM ---If you're in an area even the slightest amount of cell service, ice fishing without your phone is about the stupidest thing you can do.

--- End quote ---

I guess I should clarify that to--It is possible to fish with out being on your phone.

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
Wow, those are definitely a wide variety of injury stories from you guys. I have never had an impact with the ice from slipping and falling bad enough to cause a concussion or broken bone, but I think we have all fallen on the ice.

If you guys will accept hypothermia as a type of injury, then that is the worst injury I have sustained on the ice. For the first 20 years of ice fishing, until my early forties, I fished all day without a shelter or any heaters, except the HOT HANDS. I fished all day, 10 hours or so, several times when it was - 20 F getting on the ice and never got above 10 F for the day. By the middle of the day my face was so numb that I could not speak intelligibly ( HAHA I was not drinking alcohol either ) and had genuinely frost-bitten fingertips. Proof of the frostbite damage ( and not just having cold hands ) was the skin getting hard and pure white and then a week later the skin on my fingertips started peeling off to shed the dead tissue.

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
The most serious blood-letting injury I sustained was while lifting a 33" pike through a hole. I do not own a gaff, rather I just slip 3 fingers under their gill plate and lift them out. Well, this pike was not close to done thrashing yet and whipped its head sideways and produced 5 or 6 evenly spaced slices into the tip of my middle finger from the interior of its razor-sharp gill plate. Bled like crazy and took a couple of weeks to heal. I love to tell that war story  and even started a joke that I invented a new style of fishing called " ICE NOODLING "   ::) ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version