Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Anchovies for dead bait.

<< < (2/2)

esox_xtm:
As long as they don't find their way onto my pizza it's all good.  :sick:

Seriously, decent deads have been in short supply in this state the last few years. First the smelt population was decimated so I went to bloater chubs (like the ones that get smoked for eating). They were awesome but now their population is dwindling and all that remains is the stupid expensive vac packed stuff that runs like $16 - $20 a dozen. When I used to pay $1.50 a pound for whatever I wanted it just kills me.

As a result I'm not beyond shopping an Asian market for bait. Head to the back and look for the freezer bunkers and you will be amazed at the selection of sizes and shapes of fish frozen in the round. I know, may not be legal as bait depending on your location but still a viable resource. Amazingly inexpensive too. Wish I lived nearer a coast like you guys sometimes.

Anchovies as bait? Can't think of a better use for 'em!

ICEHOLE:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Dec 11, 2020, 04:26 AM ---As long as they don't find their way onto my pizza it's all good.  :sick:

Seriously, decent deads have been in short supply in this state the last few years. First the smelt population was decimated so I went to bloater chubs (like the ones that get smoked for eating). They were awesome but now their population is dwindling and all that remains is the stupid expensive vac packed stuff that runs like $16 - $20 a dozen. When I used to pay $1.50 a pound for whatever I wanted it just kills me.

As a result I'm not beyond shopping an Asian market for bait. Head to the back and look for the freezer bunkers and you will be amazed at the selection of sizes and shapes of fish frozen in the round. I know, may not be legal as bait depending on your location but still a viable resource. Amazingly inexpensive too. Wish I lived nearer a coast like you guys sometimes.

Anchovies as bait? Can't think of a better use for 'em!

--- End quote ---
Asian markets around here have amazing selections...herring, while i personally dont use them are getting hard to find this season. but endless amounts of Whiting, mackeral and ballyhoo etc etc etc

Captn66:

--- Quote from: ICEHOLE on Jan 02, 2021, 12:27 PM ---Asian markets around here have amazing selections...herring, while i personally dont use them are getting hard to find this season. but endless amounts of Whiting, mackeral and ballyhoo etc etc etc

--- End quote ---

heck yeah why not .... I've gone to a pet store before for waxies, maggots, mealworms, and frozen feeder fish ...

Water Wolf:
I have also used anchovies as pike bait in the past and they worked OK for me. :)
Hopefully you have luck with them as well. :tipup:

WW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version