Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Smelt

Smelt tips and rigs

(1/2) > >>

matt93pgt:
Any tips or rigs you use for smelt fishing through the ice post them here

headhunter67:
I fish for smelt at night. I have a green LED light from fishing lights etc. It goes all night.

2lb test line

Hali tied at the bottom (Colors - Red Glow, Blue Glow, and Gold have worked great for me)

2 tear drops(Glow colors) tied above the Hali 6 to 10" apart.

Tip them with wax worms, spikes, or minnow heads depending what they are biting on.

Use my lowrance to find em and keep on them as they change depths. Wait a few seconds after you feel the first bite before reeling up. Doubles and triples are very common.

If they are not bitting and are right under the ice I grab my homemade smelt spear  ;D

jabers69:
we use live minnows about 3 to 4 inches long  at different depth till we find where they are running

redneckdan:
I usually fish a glow hali with several maggots. For me, the biggest improvement was switching to 8lb braid. I can actually feel them strike now.

Spoondangler:

--- Quote from: headhunter67 on Dec 15, 2016, 09:35 PM ---I fish for smelt at night. I have a green LED light from fishing lights etc. It goes all night.

2lb test line

Hali tied at the bottom (Colors - Red Glow, Blue Glow, and Gold have worked great for me)

2 tear drops(Glow colors) tied above the Hali 6 to 10" apart.

Tip them with wax worms, spikes, or minnow heads depending what they are biting on.

Use my lowrance to find em and keep on them as they change depths. Wait a few seconds after you feel the first bite before reeling up. Doubles and triples are very common.

If they are not bitting and are right under the ice I grab my homemade smelt spear  ;D

--- End quote ---

SMELT SPEAR ?!?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version