Author Topic: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`  (Read 99153 times)

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`
« Reply #120 on: Oct 06, 2011, 10:09 PM »
been chasing gold all summer found some new hot spots !!!

got bout 70 goldens !!! need to get back out !! :Psorry but fuzzy vid dont know what happen
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

surflizard

« Reply #121 on: Oct 07, 2011, 04:38 AM »
That has "CHOMP ME" written All over it !!  ;D

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Oct 08, 2011, 04:26 PM »
those baits are HUGE...Made another couple sets for creek chubs got about 5 dozen.finally found a use for my black coated trap,chubs seem to prefer it to the galvanized one at least 3 to 1.Same hole 3 different sets,same results.Go figure it is just the opposite with shiners.Come on cold weather.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #123 on: Oct 11, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Didn`t realize the last pic of yours was actually a video! Man those things are huge. The one that rockets outta the bucket was awsome. Sum guys that pannie fish put fish that size in the keeper bucket! Like I said, ya can fillet em!   Nice going!

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Oct 11, 2011, 05:51 PM »
thanks bud !!! the video of the water hole is my tank for bait !!!  ;D

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:52 PM »
I had lived on a wooded lot in a rural area with a 2 acre pond on it that was stuffed fulla shiners. Didn`t have to go far to soak traps. 
Got out in the rain for lil while today- was miserable, so I packed it in early with only a few mediums. I failed to rod n reel any of the big goldens that had eagerly pulled the bobber down on previous visits. I`m gonna trap my multi species pond and hope for shiners and suckers tomorrow . ;)

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:02 PM »
A buddy of mine has been on the gold hunt for a few days now and he got me all worked up so i went out for 30 min and hooked 3 rolled one and took the hook out of mouth of one and opened lid and tossed it right over bucket back in the drink so i got 2 lol

these fish are going in the tank just need to get a filter all i have is aerator.  :P

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Oct 18, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Sum more pike snacks! Nice FS!
Trapping seems to be slowing. I have rod n reeled sum nice ones lately and have been soaking traps for longer periods. Just not the numbers I was getting b4 , and the suckers at one spot have disappeared.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Oct 21, 2011, 08:30 PM »
The traps are still in the truck, but I haven`t soaked em in weeks. Haven`t needed to, the boys haven`t been fishing. Maybe 2morrow. Been rod n reelin a few places on the way home from work. Good for a few each stop. Sum nice ones , nuttin like Frozen`s monsters , but still chunky. Got these 4 goldens on Thursday afta work. Was my best day!

Got 3 nice ones today as well. The leaves in the water are sure screwing with me but I`m landing more than I`m loosing now! 

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #129 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Good lookin bait Rott, hope every one lures in those big pike  ;)

Offline Iceholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Quest for the Gold Flag
« Reply #130 on: Oct 23, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Got back in to bait catchin' this week, did an hour or so rod and reelin on Friday afternoon and got a half dozen nice sized Goldens, also had a dozen mediums in trap. 

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Monday B4 work , I grabbed up the 2 traps I let soak on Sun. The suckers are back. ;D Got about 6 suckers 8" and smaller , a dozen medium hvy shiners, and a dozen mixed chubs with sum big chubs around 7". The baitbags were empty, evidence that smaller bait had come and gone and all that was left was the biguns for the most part. Had a slow day today-same 2 traps out , only a few lil chubs. I honestly think it was because I didn`t soak my baitbags b4 I tossed em in. They seem to work better the nastier they are , especially with the suckers. ;) Stopped afta work but failed to rod n reel any. Gonna have to replace the ones me and the boys used up softwater.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Oct 27, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Hey DasRottweiler

Ive been doing good with a handfull of dry dog food for the suckers.
Ya, that`s what I use. Put it in a mesh bag, secured with a ziptie/electrical tie. Keeps em from getting thier full and leaving.
I`ve been doing well, 4-5 suckers in each trap, plus shiners. I checked traps yesterday and pulled about 5-6 suckers around 6-8" and a dozen  tiny shiners. Hit a few places today and pulled traps as the water rises quickly where I have them when it rains. Hit another spot and tossed 2 traps in while I rod n reeled. No takers on the rod. Raining hard. Went and got a coffee and came back and pulled the traps.

surflizard

« Reply #133 on: Oct 27, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Them Big Dace are Nice Rick, they have Scooby Snack written all over them,I'll bet the lakers and Pike tear them up !!  >:D :roflmao:

Still checkin Craigs list, uncle Henrys and recycler.com for freezers, nothing yet !  :'(

surflizard

« Reply #134 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:00 AM »
Happy B Day by the way Buddy ! ;D  Do you have any Lake trout in your neck of the woods ?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Oct 28, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Snow on the grass- ice on the roads.... Won`t be long!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #136 on: Oct 29, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Dosrotw-
Have you ever tried using canned cat food with a few puncture holes in the top? Tried it once last summer with mixed results. BTW I sealed up my freezer with bathroom caulking and she's water tight. Pics to come soon after I install underwater filter and pond pump.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Dosrotw-
Have you ever tried using canned cat food with a few puncture holes in the top? Tried it once last summer with mixed results. BTW I sealed up my freezer with bathroom caulking and she's water tight. Pics to come soon after I install underwater filter and pond pump.
Ya , Catfood in cans works, I used it for awhile years ago , but I prefer the dawgfood. Good luck with the tank, post up sum pics here---->
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=120188.0

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Happy Belated B`day Rickl1968 ;D
How goes the trappin? That chest freezer full yet?

rickl1968

« Reply #139 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:11 AM »
Thanks Das

Used up 8 dozen over the weekend fishin for walleye, the pick's were biting good!  ;D

Time to start trapping again.....lol.

rickl1968

« Reply #140 on: Nov 03, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Had to break the ice at lunch today to pull my traps and break it again to sink them.  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

rickl1968

« Reply #141 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:19 PM »
Yep, I broke a trap putting it through the ice this morning. I went out to Wallyworld and Canadian Tire to find a trap, wally only had one left. So I bought it!
Set the traps late this afternoon and will check them in the morning.

This morning I got 4 dozen suckers between 3-5 inches in the trap that didn't break.  ;D

Offline Iceholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Quest for the Gold Flag
« Reply #142 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I am pretty much ready for the ice with my bait, but I couldn't let the recent warm up pass without getting out for a bit of rod and reeling. 

Boy am I glad I did!  The Goldens were super aggresive and I was getting nice large fish.  Did about an hour and half and got over 3 dozen, a few the size of this beauty!

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Nov 26, 2011, 09:05 PM »
morton salt is fine to use for shiners...I use it in my aquariums all the time.Make sure you buy the kind that is iodine free.One teaspoon to ten gallons. ;D

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:10 AM »
morton salt is fine to use for shiners...I use it in my aquariums all the time.Make sure you buy the kind that is iodine free.One teaspoon to ten gallons. ;D
Ya may be absolutely correct, but I had a bad experience with Morton salt. Added it to my tanks a  few summers ago and experienced a die-off like no other. I think my mistake was adding too much at once. You must add water treatment chemicals slowly . I use aquarium salt now.

Offline kbiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Ya may be absolutely correct, but I had a bad experience with Morton salt. Added it to my tanks a  few seasons/years ago and experienced a die-off like no other. I think my mistake was adding too much at once. You must add water treatment chemicals slowly . I use aquarium salt now.

Hey ftwchopper do you catch your own bait for ice fishing?  I'm from Plainfield and fairly new at ice fishing and always buy my bait. If you do catch your bait where do you go to catch it and what do you use as a bait
The only good thing about unemployment is more time for fishing

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Nov 27, 2011, 08:33 AM »
I'm still slacking on setting up my tanks for the season. :-/ how about every one else? And are any of you still trappIng

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Gutta love it when people jump into a thread and don`t bother to read the original post, the first page , or anything other than the immediate post prior to the one they make.(IF THAT!) Especially when they ask questions that have been repeatedly answered pages before. Seems to happen just b4 ice-up every year.

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:30 PM »
KBIZ....Im sill looking for decent spots in the area to trap....I have my tanks set up and so far trapped a few small shiners but nothing terrific.Im using a store bought minnow trap and a couple homemade traps
.....Useing catfood and bread...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:27 PM »
what were we talking about ??? ??? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.