Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 2649 times)

arrowhead

New kid on the block
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:59 PM »
First off, I just want to say hi to all of you guys and gals on this forum! This seems tobe a great site and I'm sure I've came to the right place to get help!

Well, this fall I decided to go ice fishing! I've never been before... so I'm kinda clue less to fishing hard water. For this year, I'm just starting out with the basics for tackle.... rod and reel, jigs, ice scoup, spoons, ice spikes, hand auger, and a bucket to sit on.
But before I start drilling holes, I need some tips on gills and crappie. Like; locations, rigs, baits ( artificial, and live) presentation of baits, and most off all saftey tips about being on the ice. I'll be mostly fishing smaller lakes, farm ponds, Lake Mcbride, and maybe if I'm lucky, Lake Sugema. I can't wait to go... I'm just waiting for the water to freez, then I'll be out fishin!

good fishin      Arrowhead

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:15 PM »
Howdy, I fish NW IA and dont get to Southern IA much as long as I can help it! This site is a great resource for all your needs as far as tips and safety ideas. Try reading all the specific specie forums and ask questions if you got em. Good Luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

ShantyLifeIsGood

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:03 PM »
I live near the Coralville Resivoir.  It is iced over, but I don't think it is safe yet.  I live about 5 miles from Lake McBride aswell.  I am excited to get out on the ice.

arrowhead

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:09 PM »
I was just at the res today.... and I don't think any ice anywhere close to being safe yet.... maybe if this cold weather keeps up!

arrow head

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2003, 05:59 PM »
Hi Gang!
  First off you need to get a (pfd) Personal floation device.  It will help you from drowning if you fall thru over your head.  It will also help you float even if your water logged.  Second go buy a pair of ice pics or spikes  that wrap around your neck. Third go and get a good pair of boot spikes.  they help alot too.  Fourth tie a 50 or 100 foot rope around you and drag it behind you.  This way if you fall in and someone is there they can help pull you out with out risking themselves to much.   Dont walk side by side stay at least 25 feet apart until you know where your going is safe.  Remember there is safety in numbers.  Last ask the local bait shop owner questions they will help you alot.  Also ask if they know any one that would be willing to take you out with them.  I have many friends made that way!
Remember there is no safe ice.  The ice is a tricky thing you have to be very careful and knowledge is everything.
  Any other questions Ill be glad to try and help answere them.   I have fished lake michigan and all over in the winter for the last 20 years I still know very little about ice and how it is suppose to react and look.

Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.