Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: QCA area  (Read 2217 times)

Offline kkloppen

• IceShanty Rookie
QCA area
« on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:19 AM »
Anyone been out around the QCA in last couple of days?

Offline piffle1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: QCA area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Got out Friday and Saturday up around Clinton. Ice looked pretty clear and good, varied from 6"-10". Water was a little dirty looking but better than it was. Got into some eyes/sauger early in the morning, but small ones, after that fishing was slow, I took a break, came back and it really picked up again at sundown. Finally got my 5 keepers and left.

Didn't keep any on Saturday, just no bite for some reason, the ones that did were small 7"-8" crappies. I packed it up in in the afternoon. I have a friend that lives North near Sabula, the North boat lauch (not the big lake) there had a decent bluegill bite, ice was still around 4".

Checked a few places Friday around the QC and ice seemed soft and unsafe.

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I got out Sunday morning at camanche harbor there was around 8-9"  of pretty clear ice. Fishing was extremely slow,  marked a some fish but no bites. Talked to other guy who was there and he said bite had been gay before but was dead today. Packed up andheaded to willow cove in Clinton. Ice was  9-10" in all the spots i drilled once again marked fish but no bites. Water looked to be a little dirty and other guys said it was slow your them too as i only saw one bluegill caught by any of the other guys during the 2 hours was there. Piffle are you from the Clinton/camanche area?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2013, 01:08 PM »
A friend of mine fished this morning in the QC on 10" of hard ice. Said there is about 1/2" of water on top the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kkloppen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:29 PM »
I went out to West Lake this morning. Some open areas. Where I fished  there was there was about 4 - 5 inches of ice. Small crappies and gills.

Offline piffle1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Piffle are you from the Clinton/camanche area?

I live in Clinton, yes...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Oh hey piffle. Walleye/sauger limit on the miss is 6.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline piffle1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:55 AM »
Oh hey piffle. Walleye/sauger limit on the miss is 6.

My mistake, I thought it was 5 under and up to six only if one was over the slot size. I never caught one over the slot size. Thanks for the info.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Its 6 total, only 1 of the 6 can be an "over". Common mistake, I hear "I got my 5!" all the time when we are fishing below the dams for sauger.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Piffile-I'm from Clinton too, if your ever looking for someone toto fish with let me know. Besides my neighbor i don't have to really any other fishing buddies in town. Always nice to have some one to go along with especially with late ice coming up. What were you catching the walleye/sauger on?

Bbk- were you able to make it out on leclaire canal art all thus year?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:58 AM »
yeah, for the most part real slow. Lots of shad in there this year stirring everything up and rendering flashers useless.

Be careful, there is some bad ice out there. I wouldn't cross it just yet.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Ah Shad i bet that is what was making me think my flasher was broke this last Sunday. I've only used mine like 10 times and was thinking something was wrong with it when it would just go bananas out of no where

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:59 AM »
The bottom 6' will go red and then 2 seconds later back to clear. Just hoards of shad running through there.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Boomdigs, have you been back out at Willow cove since Sunday? I was planning on hitting it Saturday, I was out there last weekend, and it was slow, but I've been hearing it was slow all over the last couple weeks. Water looked cloudy, hoping it clears up and the bite turns on out there by the weekend.

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Nope wad thinking about this weekend depending on this storm that hits. If you go let me know i may be out there since its only 2 blocks from my house, easiest place to go if i only have short time to fish

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Nope wad thinking about this weekend depending on this storm that hits. If you go let me know i may be out there since its only 2 blocks from my house, easiest place to go if i only have short time to fish

Planning on trying out there at Willow @ 4pm or so Saturday. Do you fish there a lot? Any tips on where the "hot spots" are? The one time I've fished there we just went to where the most holes had been drilled. I've heard there have been some x-mas trees sunk out there somewhere.

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Sorry jr no hot spots I'm still trying to figure that place out. Besides where i find the most holes i usually just start by punching holes from near shore out to where i find 15 ft or so and just start checking to see whar depth i mark fish..if kids are still with grandparents i may swing out there. Ill be in a blaze orange cost say hi if you see me

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Hey Boomdigs, will do. Seemed like we were in about 15' of water last time too, so maybe we were in as good a spot as any. I'll be out with another guy who is also on the forum here, he'll have a blue Clam shack. Planning on laying out some tip ups/downs to cover a bigger area and hopefully find a honeyhole.

Offline ChasinCrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Stopped by West Lake in Davenport this afternoon. Four guys on the ice by the handicap dock. Talked to one, he said there was seven inches of ice and the bite was slow. He only caught four crappies and he said it was slow for the others as well. Two of them ventured toward what was open water last week and only found two inches where they stopped.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:18 PM »
So anything going on at willow?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline FisherNate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Tried the night bite on Saturday, fished from 4-10:00pm caught one crappie and a 27.5" pike. Was marking fish just wouldn't bite, water was still cloudy.

Anyone try Rock Creek this past weekend? Any ice?

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Tried the night bite on Saturday, fished from 4-10:00pm caught one crappie and a 27.5" pike. Was marking fish just wouldn't bite, water was still cloudy.

Anyone try Rock Creek this past weekend? Any ice?

I was over on the other side and fish for about 4 hours. There was about 4 to 6 inch of ice. As far as rock creek, I did not see any cars in the lot where they park and walk thought the woods. Water was a little cloudy and there was a slow flow were I was fishing. You could see them on the flasher but would not bite. Hope the ice hangs in there for awhile.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:15 PM »
just legitimately found 8-10" of nice hard ice around QC on iowa side.  caught about a 1/2 dozen 7+" gills and a few smaller ones in about an hour and a half's time.  real tough bite.  lots of fish roaming around though. 

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Still safely ice-fishing small ponds around Iowa City, which is an hour straight west of the QC.

Six to seven inches of decent clear ice on a small pond here tonight, and the shorelines aren't too soggy yet.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:44 PM »
So anything going on at willow?

I was out with FisherNate, there must still be 12 of ice out there at Willow, good, clear hard ice. Glad my hand auger is just a 5". Water was dirty looking, but not as bad as last weekend. In six hours I caught one striped bass... so yeah, it was slow.

Met Boomdigs out there too, he missed that big pike by about 15 minutes!

hnd, care to share where you found the good ice? I can't get out until next Monday, will probably be one of the last, if not the last time this season now that it's getting into March. Was thinking Rock Creek near Camanche unless I can find something even better. Would be more than happy with 1/2 dozen gills in an hour and a half's time.

Offline boomdigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:28 AM »
tried Fulton harbor Sunday morning and caught 2 5" perch and 2 tiny bass. Ice inside the harbor was 12" when i went further out to the sloughslough by those boat slips was 5-6" but there was so much current in the channel it was basically not fishable. I wouldn't recommend anyone going out pat the harbor with the warm temps yesterday and current that ice would be pretty sketchy.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:34 AM »
I was out with FisherNate, there must still be 12 of ice out there at Willow, good, clear hard ice. Glad my hand auger is just a 5". Water was dirty looking, but not as bad as last weekend. In six hours I caught one striped bass... so yeah, it was slow.

Met Boomdigs out there too, he missed that big pike by about 15 minutes!

hnd, care to share where you found the good ice? I can't get out until next Monday, will probably be one of the last, if not the last time this season now that it's getting into March. Was thinking Rock Creek near Camanche unless I can find something even better. Would be more than happy with 1/2 dozen gills in an hour and a half's time.

it was all about finding skinny water that had trees shading it from the sun.  there was ice out at west lake in ia, on the canal in il.    heard there was fishable ice on barber creek. 

Offline FisherNate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Looking to go out ice fishing sometime this weekend, whats the ice like around the QCA? Anyone been out this week at all?

Offline finnywarrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Was out last sat. 5" ice rock creek, no bite. Moved to west lake @ noon. 30 small gill's one crappie, over by south end of lake.

Offline FisherNate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Tried Rock creek this morning, not enough ice to walk across to the other back water.  Fished out from the far parking lot, anywhere from 1.5 to 6in of ice.  Didn't catch a thing, marked a few fish no takers. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.