Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: CLEAR LAKE - STILL SAFE?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
CLEAR LAKE - STILL SAFE?
« on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:53 AM »
HEY!!!  I'M GOING TO TRY AND GET OVER TO CLEAR LAKE THIS EVENING  ;D (GOTTA WORK DURING THE DAY) >:(   WILL TRY AND GET ON THE EAST END, PROBABLY JUST HOOF IT.  HOPING THE COLD WEATHER OVERNIGHT GAVE US SOME SAFE ICE.  ANYBODY CHECKED IT OUT TODAY (THURSDAY)??

I'M NOT QUITTIN YET...

TOM

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: CLEAR LAKE - STILL SAFE?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:35 PM »
plenty safe for foot traffic just make sure to bring the ice cleats...Hopefully it gets cold again so i dont have to walk my happy ass out there...  Good fishing in between CL boats ramp and that Fork In the road ramp by the gas station there(S. of CL Boats).  Out about 200yds in 17ft

sidewound

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:41 PM »
We're goin out for awhile this aft. I walked down to the end of the street and took a look. Saw a few folks sittin out over past the island. Hope it freezes up good enuff to drive on again. I'm lazy too. Maybe we'll see ya Tom! ;D ;D

There was over a hundred people and probably 40 vehicles out east of the island last saturday.

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Thanks CrappieBuster.  I'll give er a try, and yes, I'll put the cleats on.  I can hoof it with the best of em,  Except if I have to drag my shack and all the gear, then i get to huffing and puffing, gasping for air, it's not pretty......  Hoping to maybe sit on the bucket tonight.  Nice warm shack sounds good tho...

Sidewound???? You must be reincarnated? You must be fishing the island then?  I'm hoping for an evening bite for the eyes.  If not, oh well, I got to go fishing!!!!!!!!!!!
Wife is sick, otherwise I'd try an have her go along.  She probably wouldn't, but I keep trying to get her to go.
Have to take her when the ice is gone I guess.  I got my waders out and ready to go, incase the ice decides to break up.. 

See ya later
Tom

Offline arctic6008

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Thanks CrappieBuster.  I'll give er a try, and yes, I'll put the cleats on.  I can hoof it with the best of em,  Except if I have to drag my shack and all the gear, then i get to huffing and puffing, gasping for air, it's not pretty......  Hoping to maybe sit on the bucket tonight.  Nice warm shack sounds good tho...

Wife is sick, otherwise I'd try an have her go along.  She probably wouldn't, but I keep trying to get her to go.

Icey Tom

Are you trying to get your wife to go fishing or just to drag out the shack? ;D ;D Anyway good luck to both.

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2005, 07:33 AM »
CESAR,

If you are now sidewound,   ???   does that make Waterbug frontwound....backwoun d....upsidedownwound.. ... or just backlashed   ;D...

Let me know if you guys got out yesterday, and how conditions are.

Crowbait    :whistle:

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Hey all. HAD GREAT LUCK LAST NIGHT :thumbsup: I caught 9 eyes, lost several, kept my limit of 3 (17 1/2" biggest).  Lost a "Big un" too.  Caught him on one of my ultra light rods  ( it will bend if you sneeze on it) with 2# line (dang, I should know better when fishing for eyes).  I thought he was gonna pull ME thru the hole.  Played him for a while, but the sight of that hole spooked every time I got him close.   Either he broke the line or the edge of the ice cut my line.  My holes were icing up pretty good inside the shack, only had my lantern (forgot the heater).  Sidewound, now I'll have nightmares trying to recatch that brute again.   ;D ;D ;D

Ice was close to 12" thick at 12 FOW.  Had to find hard ice to cross a pressure ridge (marked it with my flourescent dipper) so I could cross the same place on the way back.  I crossed the same place going back and a 3" x 100yrd gap had opened on the inside of the pressure ridge.  :woot: :woot: :woot: Was a bit spooky crossing that, but I took it slow and as careful as I could.  The ice was making alot of noise too.  Looks like we might have gained a few more fishing days :clap: :clap: :clap:

crowbait -LMAO, that's a good one.... ;D ;D :D :roflmao:

arctic - I was going to have her set up the shack while I drilled holes, have her clean the fish, cook the fish, do the dishes afterwards,  I never thought of having her pull the schack,  that way I could watch for bad ice.....
Thanks.... ::) ::) ::)

Sidewound & "unwound" - did you hit the island in the afternoon?  How'd it go??

Crappiebuster - I wore my cleats, ice was slick as snot.  I didn't go out the whole 200 yrds, Figured I could swin 150yrds but 200 would be stretching it.  ::) ::)  I couln't see the island for sure to line my self up (till my eyes adjusted and the moon came out and lit things up a bit.  So, I may have been just north of Billy's reef I think..

I'll keep going out as often as I can for the next week, Won't get much sleep, but I'll catch up on that when it rains.. :'( :'(

See ya all later , and get them eyes...
Give a hollar if you wanna hook up, safer this time of year with 2 or more.  I can't get over to the lake any sooner than 7-7:30pm.
Cell # 641-512-0020

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2005, 03:38 PM »
heading over there right now.......hopefully you left some fish for me ;D
I'll post later with a report....

LATER ON:fished state dock reef no eyes 3 yellows though and a stinky catfish

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2005, 07:53 AM »
Uh Oh????  My alter ego got in here. ;D Who's that sidewound dude????????? hee hee
Went out yest. aft and no good. The ice was talkin big time. Lotsa cracking.

Plan on goin out after 7:00 tonight. Maybe I'll see somebody. Stay safe all! ;D

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2005, 11:21 AM »
Hey all.. Not much luck last nite either..  Got one 12" and missed another.  Oh well, was really cool being out at nite, no wind, bright moon, ice cracking and geese flying over at 11pm..  Just missed Crowbait, he was leaving as I was setting up North of him.  Thursday nite just goes to show ya, ya gotta appease those fish Gods..... ::)

Crowbait - did you try that morning bite?  They didn't feed last night (at least where I was) so I figure they would be hungry time you got there in the am...  Excuses, excuses.... Oh, well... :-\

WATCH THE ICE HEAVE AT 16TH AVE ACCESS (BY THE BOAT SHOP AND MOTEL).  tHAT 3 INCH CRACK HAS TURNED INTO 12' WIDE OF WATER. PROBABLY JUST SURFACE WATER AS ONE SLAB PUSHES THE OTHER DOWN.
I JUST DRUG EVERY THING SOUTH ABOUT A BLOCK, PAST WHERE THE HEAVE ENDED AND HAD GOOD ICE ALL THE WAY OUT.  :woot:
CRAPPIEBUSTER - STINKY CATFISH?  I bet it was fun pulling him thru the ice... Let us know if you find those eyes, just have to keep lookin. :unsure:

Couldwater - How was your luck last night?  Did waterbug go with you?  Haven't heard much from Waterbug lately, You didn't lose him on the ice somewhere? Do we need to send a search party? :callcops:

Happy fishing everybody

Tom

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Icey Tom,

Didn't make it back in the morning. When we got home we started looking at the map and we must have been right on Billy's Reef. We were sitting in 8 f.o.w....
At 5:35 the first bobber went down and the little lady set the hook and pulled in her fist walleye through the ice, a 16"er. So she-we celebrated her first eye :clap: :thumbsup:

BTW...you must not have had your key pad locked on your cell phone, my phone rang at 12:40 and all I heard was things banging around like you were packing up, I didn't even hear you talking to yourself!!! ;D ....Hope you noticed that so you didn't use all your minutes up not talking.
I did see Coldfisherman and Waterbug, they were on the north side west of Shady bend and they hadn't done any good in the afternoon.
Sounds like things are going to stay cold enough to get back out up there.
Everyone be safe.

Crowbait    :whistle:&   "LITTLE LADY"    :cookoo:

Offline waterbug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Hello fellow fishermen. I'm glad to hear someone was concerned about me being lost out on the lake wondering aimlessly around.I haven't been out much lately. Hoping to change that this week. I talked to a couple guys on Sunday who were fishing off north shore where we were set up and they said they weren't doing any good. We pulled our hut off and are planning on going over by Billy's and giving that a try this week. I don't know what's with coldfisherman. One day he is sidewound, the next day he's coldfisherman. I know one thing he is.... And that's BAD LUCK !!! Seems when he has been  fishing with me the last three times we haven't caught anything. I went by myself and caught fish. The last time we went we didn't catch anything but as soon as he left I finally caught one little wally. You guys have any ideas on how to change coldfisherman's(sidewound) luck ?

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Crowbait - ROFLMAO :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  Man I bet you could have cussed me out...  I hope I wasn't makin any discusting noises!  I'll have to be more cautious with my cell phone next time (leave it in my tackle box).  I told my wife, and she about died laughing. 

I went out to the island Sunday and stayed till after dark.  I met some guys from Newton that were staying in town for a few days to do some ice fishing.  We were standing around having a beer and smoking big fat cigars, asking each other if they'd caught anything yet.  I caught 2 small eyes (just a little bigger) than my cigar.  But, it was a neat day to be out, fog set in for awhile and looked a bit eery out there. Hardly any wind, till after dark.  One guy was catching a bunch of yellows in 16' FOW.  The guy at the bait shop said they were catching alot of yellows and eyes near the island on Sat.  One guy caught a 5+ pounder eye, had a pic of it, looked nice.  Hope the ice  hangs in there for awhile.  Watch for open water at the tip of the island, those rocks in the shallows must warm up alot to keep the water open there.

Keep on fishin

Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.