Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Tournament  (Read 4645 times)

Offline goerdty

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Tournament
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:12 PM »
2nd Annual Red Rock "Red Nose" Ice Fishing Tournament.
Date:  January 22nd.

Everyone is welcome.
$25 per team of (2).

Roberts Creek --- Located in Pella Iowa.

Contact Chris Goerdt  641-691-7149 or email [email protected] for information.

Offline goerdty

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing Tournament
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:26 PM »
HEARD GOOD NEWS THAT THE FISH ARE BITING... CRAPPIE ESPECIALLY.
SHOULD BE A GOOD TOURNAMENT,
HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!

Offline goerdty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Next Saturday will be here before you know it.
Still plenty of time to sign up for the tournament

Everyone is welcome and only $25 to enter.

Fish have been biting extremely well.... and lots of prizes to give away.

CAll 641-691-7149 to get information

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:53 PM »
How about a little more info?

Who is putting on the tournament? is it charity?
What is the format?
What are the start and end times?
Rules for this tournament?
what are some of the prizes maybe?

This site has quite a few of us around the area and quite a few more within a few hours... I know I have told a few people that it is going on but didn't have any info for them. Might get a little more interest with the rest of the info on here.

jt

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:31 PM »
those ropes you refer to are probally the island out there havent seen them but if there in the middle its probally that island cuz the lake is real low this year due to red rock being so low. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Plan B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:07 PM »
I fished it last weekend, kinda slow. The roped off spots looked like some christmas trees or brush sitting on the ice that are kinda covered with snow. I think the rope is there so the snowmobiles or whatever wont run into it. I'm gonna pass on the tournament but good luck to anyone that goes.

Offline ham sandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I thought I'd give it a shot tomorrow. I've never fished there before so it might be a rough day. The only details I know is that it starts at 10:00 am . Good Luck to anyone going tomorrow. I will be in a Shappell DX3000 and will wearing a Packers jacket. Feel free to stop by and give me your big fish! ;D

Offline Plan B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Bruiser, as I understand it the tournament is for Roberts Creek only and not Lake Red Rock. I know Roberts Creek very well. If you go,don't fish off the dam. I recommend going to the east side out from the old beach area. There are lots of old christmas trees sunk in this area. The best brush piles I'm sure are already GPSed by other fisherman as you will see them head staight for there spots. But, there are a lot of old trees scattered in this area so just fish in 16 to 18 FOW, try to find some brush and wait for the fish to move through. Ham Sandwich-GO PACKERS!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Fished the tourney, didn't do too bad. Caught a lot of crappie, all dinks. Didn't catch one single gill. Did catch a small striper. Winning team won it with 49lbs of bluegill. Yes, you read correct, 49 pounds! Now, how the **** did they manage to do that? I have a pretty good idea, but I'll keep my two cents to myself. We caught 19 crappie and the one striper and only had about 5lbs of fish. Something just isn't right there. Rules said you could only fish with one rod per person. Hmmmm. Weird.

We fished in 20 ft of water and all the crappie came out of 16ft. There were a lot more, bigger fish down the hole, but couldn't get them to bite. It was a VERY light bite. Overall, it was a fun tourney, and they gave away a ton of prize, which I didn't win. Figures. Just my luck! :) How'd you do, Ham Sandwich?

Oh, btw, the roped off areas on that lake are weak ice, like I thought, so be careful around that area.

Team = 2 people? They had to have each gill weighing a pound if they obeyed the daily 25 limit! I can count the number of gills over a pound I have caught on one hand.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:09 PM »
What they do?  ???
EYECONICFISHING

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:29 PM »
so the winning team weighed in 50 gills that weighed 49#'s?

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:39 PM »
question how many gills did they turn in is my first question??? and if it was only the legal number like ya said they would have to weigh a pound each sounds like some farm pond fish to me cuz ive fished there and never caught any that size sounds fishy to me lol did they also win big gill i wonder cuz if not id be real suprised. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:42 PM »
If they turned in more than 50, wonder if the DNR was tipped off?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:44 PM »
my guess would be no cuz tournys dont always have to obay dnr rules cuz like bass tournys we all know that the limit on bass is 3 per day but in tournement setting its 5 not sure how that works??

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:19 PM »
my guess would be no cuz tournys dont always have to obay dnr rules cuz like bass tournys we all know that the limit on bass is 3 per day but in tournement setting its 5 not sure how that works??

Only with black bass and with the DNR's permission. There is a special regulation for black bass, that in registered tournaments the limit is different than the daily bag.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:35 PM »
no special regulation for black bass or any type of bass in the state of iowa. a team tournament consisting of two anglers has a five fish tournament limit. 2 guys in the boat can legally have six bass of legal size. every single tournament i have done in the state of iowa not consisting of a two man team has complied with iowa  rules and had a 3 fish limit.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:51 PM »
no special regulation for black bass or any type of bass in the state of iowa. a team tournament consisting of two anglers has a five fish tournament limit. 2 guys in the boat can legally have six bass of legal size. every single tournament i have done in the state of iowa not consisting of a two man team has complied with iowa  rules and had a 3 fish limit.

And when you put 4 bass in the same livewell, you are illegal. A livewell is a single bag, good for a single angler.

This is the reason why you will never see the B.A.S.S Elites fishing an Iowa lake.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:41 AM »
all the one man tournys ive been in is a 5 fish limit and the dnr does allow it thats why im wondering if in this case it was approved or was it a 50 fish limit???  and the b.a.s.s was suppose to be in iowa in 2008 but was flooded out with the floods of 08'

Offline whitetail1001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Wow.  I might have to do some fishing there 50 1lb ers in 5 hrs.  Now that's gotta be some of the best public fishing In iowa right now.

Offline ham sandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:48 PM »
We caught 2 dink bluegill all day :-\   

Offline ham sandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:54 PM »
They said you could weigh 25 fish and then the officials would put them back in the lake and the team could keep fishing, that was my understanding.  So every 25 fish you weighed they added to your teams  total weight.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:28 PM »
They said you could weigh 25 fish and then the officials would put them back in the lake and the team could keep fishing, that was my understanding.  So every 25 fish you weighed they added to your teams  total weight.

Minus the dead ones I hope???
EYECONICFISHING

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:17 PM »
so the fact is then you could weigh as many fish as you wanted just no more then 25 at a time then that could be posible if you brought like 100 1/2 pounders in which would be more realistic then 50 1 pounders.

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:14 PM »
And when you put 4 bass in the same livewell, you are illegal. A livewell is a single bag, good for a single angler.

This is the reason why you will never see the B.A.S.S Elites fishing an Iowa lake.

i dont know if 4 bass in the same livewell is illegal if there are two people in the boat, i can not find that in the regulations anywhere so i can not answer to that. however most bass boats have dual livewells if that is the case and the reason why you will never see BASS elites fishing iowa lakes is because none of them are big enough nor do they have good enough bass fishing. The mississippi river is the only waters in iowa i think that have enough waters to fish and enough bass in it. with okoboji chain of lakes as a close second even with that though i doubt bass would ever go there.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Either way I find it far fetched to catch 50 pounds of fish out of that place but I also wasn't their.  Just my personal opinion.  If they did catch that much they need to start up their own TV show and quit working.  I would have to witness that to believe it.  Unless they had a 40 pound catfish that would make it more believable. 

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:25 PM »
and about the tournament in question, i do not know how it was run as i did not fish it was not there. but personally i do not think you should have a tournament where you can catch fish, weigh them in, then throw them back if that was the case.

Offline whitetail1001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Jus curious what 2nd and 3rd place had for weight?

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:19 PM »
thought about fishing it but the OP didn't give much info or reply when questions were asked... kind of sounds like i  didn't miss much

Offline teamhalverson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:40 PM »
 We fished the tourney and the gills were hitting good but... 49 pounds? We caught around 7 pounds and I thought that was pretty good. I don't know but maybe they had multiple teams and combined their catch? Or maybe they were sitting on top of them. who knows. nobody ever will! I do think they should stick to state limits and when you reach that you go for crappies or whatever. Anyway it was a great time, a good lunch, alot of prizes and I felt was ran very well!

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:11 PM »
We fished the tourney and the gills were hitting good but... 49 pounds? We caught around 7 pounds and I thought that was pretty good. I don't know but maybe they had multiple teams and combined their catch? Or maybe they were sitting on top of them. who knows. nobody ever will! I do think they should stick to state limits and when you reach that you go for crappies or whatever. Anyway it was a great time, a good lunch, alot of prizes and I felt was ran very well!

Yea.  49 lbs.  **censored**!!  That's a little too far fetched & something really smells fishy.  I'd also like to know what the 2nd place team weighed in at. The organizers really F'd up if there is a big discrepancy between 1st & the rest.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.