Author Topic: Minnow care at home?  (Read 4397 times)

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minnow care at home?
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:16 PM »
What do you guys do for keeping crappie minnows and roach minnows alive at home? I'd like to buy about 6 dozen at once snd just keep them at my house.
I've had OK luck keeping them in a fish tank with its own filter. Last year I tried to run the minnow tank off a wet/dry filter I had plumbed into my 75 gallon, but I had a lot of dead loss.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minnow care at home?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Cold clean water. Sounds like you got the clean part down.  In my experience the colder the better as long as their not froze

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Cold clean water. Sounds like you got the clean part down.  In my experience the colder the better as long as their not froze

...and if you are using municipal water, let it sit in a container, uncapped,  for a day or so as most are chlorinated, fluoridated,  etc. which could be harmful to the fish. Keep it cold and fresh and PLENTY of oxygen ...high quality/high volume air pump. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:16 PM »
There’s so many variables if you are keeping them in a tank but I’m guessing just like with any pet fish you need the filters cycled first. That might be a good start.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I'm on well water, but maybe I'll move the tank out to my garage rhis year. Water should stay colder out there.

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:51 AM »
Yea if your garage stays in the 40’s-50’s that would probably help

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I add a few hand fulls of snow to the water & turn on the aerator to keep them overnight in the basement next to an outside wall.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I add a few hand fulls of snow to the water & turn on the aerator to keep them overnight in the basement next to an outside wall.
Same here except mine are kept in in a shed

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:22 PM »
How many pounds of bait are going into 75 gallon tank?

You may need to make a filter or buy a very large one. Depending on how much bait you are keeping, your gonna need to filter alot of stuff out of water. More fish, more piss, crap that needs to be filtered out.

I kept about 7 pounds of bait in a 55 gallon drum in my 63 degree-ish basement all last season. I made a filter system. It worked pretty well. I had Rosie's all the way up to pike shiners in the drum.

Cycle the filter. As much as you can. I started with like a dozen shiners to star the filter cycling. Waited almost a month before I dumped my bait in. I still lost some fish but i think the filter wasnt cycled all the way. Just way too many fish at once. Couldn't filter out the junk.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2018, 10:04 PM »
My bait tank is only a 20gal. I plan on running a Rena XP3 filter on it. I'd like to keep a couple dozen crappie minnows a about the sms for roaches. I've got extra filter media cycling in the wet/dry sump on my 75gal now. Once we finally have some decent ice I'll set up the 20 with the filter media and about 15 gallons of water from the 75.
How many pounds of bait are going into 75 gallon tank?

You may need to make a filter or buy a very large one. Depending on how much bait you are keeping, your gonna need to filter alot of stuff out of water. More fish, more piss, crap that needs to be filtered out.

I kept about 7 pounds of bait in a 55 gallon drum in my 63 degree-ish basement all last season. I made a filter system. It worked pretty well. I had Rosie's all the way up to pike shiners in the drum.

Cycle the filter. As much as you can. I started with like a dozen shiners to star the filter cycling. Waited almost a month before I dumped my bait in. I still lost some fish but i think the filter wasnt cycled all the way. Just way too many fish at once. Couldn't filter out the junk.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:37 AM »
My bait tank is only a 20gal. I plan on running a Rena XP3 filter on it. I'd like to keep a couple dozen crappie minnows a about the sms for roaches. I've got extra filter media cycling in the wet/dry sump on my 75gal now. Once we finally have some decent ice I'll set up the 20 with the filter media and about 15 gallons of water from the 75.

20 gallons should be fine for a few dozen crappie shiners.

I suggest getting a bottle of dechlorinator from a pet store in case you need to do water change unexpectedly. Other than that. Make sure you have a clean supply of good water to swap out until filter is cycled enough to dispose of the waste.

Dont feed them, keep them as cold as possible so their metabolism slows and they stop peeing and pooping in the water.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:22 PM »
I can keep several dozen minnows in just a 5 gallon bucket in my basement using only a fish tank aerator.  I change about half of the water every 2 days.  I live in town, so I use tap water conditioner intended for aquariums.  Not only does it remove chlorine, it helps with slime coat and stress reduction.  I generally only have about 1-3 dead every time I do the water change, so I'd say I'm doing pretty well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.