The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: WEATHER: What now?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
WEATHER: What now?
« on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:57 AM »
I just looked at the National Weather service looks ok till Jan 6 4+ days above freezing Highs near 50 not good at all for our ice. Cross your fingers that they are wrong.

Offline Elk5012

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hey PIKE ME!
Re: WEATHER: What now?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:01 AM »
I'm going out fishing the rest of the week. This is crazy, 50's in a few days?

<'(((((((((>{

Offline T.W

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:28 AM »
Just looked at the weather bug and we are under a snow advisory from 5 pm tonight thru 7 am tommorrow.  4 to 9 inches expected. Winds gusts up to 4o mph. Looks like I'll be taking the shanty.   :icefish:

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:38 PM »
That sucks!!!! Well at least Ive got my limit of pan fish 7 times already, and my freezers full. Lakes w/ 4" of ice or more should hold up.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2008, 09:11 PM »
I saw that too. Drove north through some pretty snowy conditions just to make sure I got my weekly fishing fix. 50's and rain this coming weekend.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:53 AM »
I also have been eyballin the weather situation.  So far with the exception of two nights, the lows will be at or below freezing.  Sure this freeze thaw doesnt help but hopefully will hold lakes with the most ice. 

And remember...there is still a ton of cold air north of us. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline addicted2ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:50 AM »
According to Accuweather it will be back in the 20's for highs on Friday Jan 11th. In the Grand Rapids areas.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:57 AM »
It oughta help. All the snow we got hurts the ice makin' more than warm spells as it insulates the ice and weights in down causing slush on top the ice, a few days of warmth will help melt the snow and when it gets cold it'll freeze up the slush and water on top the ice.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:17 AM »
It looks like a three day warmup. Looks good if you ask me, it'll melt down all this snow to water/slush and refreeze. Let's just hope it's only the 3 day warm spell. The farthest temps forcasted for Thursday and Friday of next week show the lows at 27 and highs at 35. Let's hope it'll only get colder as time goes on!!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:18 AM »
Get the boats out springs a commin'
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:20 AM »
 :-[ Come on, why do you have to talk like that? You should be banned from this forum...... ;D

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to the warm temps. We've got 8-12" of fresh snow and maybe it'll melt some, making it easier to walk the mile out on my favorite lake. It'll be ok guy's, just get out there and fish.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Yeah, the 7, 8 inches of ice in this area will not even be phased of 3 days of 50. The shore MIGHT get a little iffy depending on the rainfall, but it'll be A OK!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:09 AM »
yeah maybe the lakes with 7-9" are ok but what about the ones that are only starting to freeze all that cold weather for nothing. I dont know about you guys but whith the way it keeps going we wont be able to get on those deep lakes till FEB "THIS SUCKS"

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:10 AM »
It oughta help. All the snow we got hurts the ice makin' more than warm spells as it insulates the ice and weights in down causing slush on top the ice, a few days of warmth will help melt the snow and when it gets cold it'll freeze up the slush and water on top the ice.

great thought quack attack.  this much snow hurts us more than temps in the 40's.  accuweather's forecast can change one minute and then change back again.  that 15-day forecast is a crap shoot anyway.  it gives very general temps, but can increase and decrease dramatically from day to day.  last time we had all this snow, it got warm for a few days after and then cold again and it actually helped with the ice.  and now with 40's and maybe a 50 thrown in the mix we will have unsafe ice again, until a nice solid freeze again.  i have seen many forecast where they forecast way above average temps and than everyday it get's cooler and cooler.  by time that day or days get here it's only 5 degrees above normal, which i really hope that's what's going to happen here.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:30 AM »
just checked the weatherchannel 10-day forecast, and they are saying above freezing temps from sunday thru wednesday, then wednesday night going down to 29 degrees and colder temps to follow!  again these forecasts are very unpredictable.  one small change in wind direction and it can be colder than they say or warmer!  i think the ice will be very soft and shore ice will be unsafe.  i won't be out until the 12th as long as i have a few days of below freezing temps.  everybody stay safe, get out there this week ice is safe on most if not all smaller bodies of water, except walled lake!!!.  if you have the weekend free it will be great to be out saturday and sunday, after that i think the ice will start to get very soft and unsafe especially with lows in the 40's!! :'(
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Weather people are complete idiots!
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:36 PM »
MI. weather always changes, and is always unpredictable, lets just stay optimistic.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:39 PM »
would you go and have a vasectomy at an optomistic surgeon?
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:53 PM »
would you go and have a vasectomy at an optomistic surgeon?
Yeah already did , he fixed my third eye. ;)2

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:54 PM »
at least he didnt mess with ol' captain brown eye eh'
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.