The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tips/advice for Douglas Lake (Northern MI)  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
Tips/advice for Douglas Lake (Northern MI)
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Hey all,

My best friend and I went to Burt Lake last year around Feb/Mar for an ice fishing get-away.  Long story short, we came away humbled.  If you look at my past posts you'll see the boring story, so I won't recap it here.

This year we would like to visit the same area, but hit up Douglas Lake instead.  It's much more conducive to our style of fishing (hole-hopping, smaller northern IN lakes, pulling sleds by hand) and closer to where we want to stay.

Anyone have any advice on Douglas?  I'm having a hard time finding anything on here or on Facebook.  Is the fishing good there?  What types of fish are targeted?  How is the ice right now?  Are there hotspots that I should try to hit?

Anything is appreciated!

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
Re: Tips/advice for Douglas Lake (Northern MI)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Hey there. I've never fished but this may help ya out some.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_53405-403365--,00.html

Good luck out there.

-Kyle

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:22 PM »
I lived up there for ten years. Never heard of anyone fishing Douglas lake. Try calling Pat and Gary's in Indian River or Youngs in Alanson. One of those two bait stores should be able to give you some information that your looking for. Personally,  I'd fish Maple bay on Burt lake.  Good luck up there.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Douglas is a good pike lake.... Perch are there but tough to get into them.... My old boss had a place about a mile or 2 from there.... I never fished it personally but he said south tip of the island is good for panfish north east end of the island as well and he also said almost dead middle of the lake west southwest of the 50' hole  can produce some good fish but you will need a machine  for that travel
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.