Author Topic: Need Your Help! Ice Fishing Sweatshirt Features  (Read 3972 times)

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Need Your Help! Ice Fishing Sweatshirt Features
« on: Oct 11, 2022, 01:14 PM »
Hey all,

We asked the question about what ice gear you guys would want and many people answered a Tactical style ice fishing hoodie/sweatshirt since jackets get too warm a lot of the time.

So, we want to know - what kind of features would you want on an ice fishing sweatshirt underneath your jacket? Pockets, material, color/style, etc?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Need Your Help! Ice Fishing Sweatshirt Features
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2022, 01:27 PM »
Once again .. the high chest pocket with a interior velcro pocket ...big enough for a smart phone or rechargable hand warmer gets my game changer vote . 3 panel oversize hood ...w/no draw string ...maybe detachable. Windproof . performance fabric with a good warmth factor without bulk. Maybe Hockey style with a zip upper chest . No sherpa lining . Black...Charcoal grey ...Red should be enough color options
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Waterproof,warm and affordable.along with a inside pocket.the more pockets i have the more time digging thru them looking for something.jmo

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2022, 02:18 PM »
Sherpa lined fleece zippered jacket has been my go to for over a decade now. Breathes well for pulling sleds and drilling holes, I throw on my coat if cold. Hard to find one with a quality zipper these days and the pockets are now too small for the stupid gigantic phones. Partial to plaid.

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Sherpa lined fleece zippered jacket has been my go to for over a decade now. Breathes well for pulling sleds and drilling holes, I throw on my coat if cold. Hard to find one with a quality zipper these days and the pockets are now too small for the stupid gigantic phones. Partial to plaid.

I like this. Certainly gonna check into it. Thanks Scott.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2022, 02:43 PM »
Once again .. the high chest pocket with a interior velcro pocket ...big enough for a smart phone or rechargable hand warmer gets my game changer vote . 3 panel oversize hood ...w/no draw string ...maybe detachable. Windproof . performance fabric with a good warmth factor without bulk. Maybe Hockey style with a zip upper chest . No sherpa lining . Black...Charcoal grey ...Red should be enough color options

How would you access the internal pocket? Through the chest zipper?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Venting in the back and/or under arms to allow air movement.  Moisture wicking outer shell; windproof design. Thinsulate under garment lining.  Pocket ideas have been mentioned - I like those ideas. Agree with the color choices:  Red Black and Gray are enough.  Would like to see the front pockets on the stomach have a zipper - keeps items from falling out. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2022, 03:11 PM »
WINDPROOF with 1/4 zipper and a kangaroo pouch to stick hands in to keep warm with a big zippered pocked behind the kangaroo pouch. Cabelas used to make these out of Wool before Bass Pro ruined that. It was one of the best pieces of gear Cabelas ever made. Oh and a chest pocket for binos.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2022, 03:14 PM »
How would you access the internal pocket? Through the chest zipper?

Move the tradional kangoroo pocket up to the chest ...inside that pocket is anothe secure pocket . Most folks who are wearing a hoodie with bibs tend to keep there bare hands inside the bibs at chest level...protected from the wind . I use a rechargable hand warmer that is tethered to my bibs zipper hanging down . Adding a high chest kangoroo pock would act as sort of a muff ...adding a secure inner pocket for a hand warmer would be the cats meow

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2022, 03:19 PM »
Move the tradional kangoroo pocket up to the chest ...inside that pocket is anothe secure pocket . Most folks who are wearing a hoodie with bibs tend to keep there bare hands inside the bibs at chest level...protected from the wind . I use a rechargable hand warmer that is tethered to my bibs zipper hanging down . Adding a high chest kangoroo pock would act as sort of a muff ...adding a secure inner pocket for a hand warmer would be the cats meow

I like it..
 Always said you were a smart man hwd .. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2022, 03:37 PM »
I like it..
 Always said you were a smart man hwd .. ;)

Like most folks ..I have alot of hoodies ...none fit the bill . My new goto is a soft shell full zip jacket with a detachable hood ..the warmth rating seems to be that of my original blue suits jacket w/o the bulk. But the hoodie pictured would really be a nice touch to my colection ... come on man Windrider

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2022, 04:09 PM »
I would love to see neoprene cuffs adjustable with Velcro. Breathable waterproof material upto the elbow or higher. This prevents you from inevitably getting wet underlayers when grabbing a lot of fish.

Also, I'm a huge fan of vertical armpit zippers. They allow you to vent heat easily if you're moving around a lot, or if it turns into a warm day.

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2022, 08:49 PM »
Great stuff guys! Keep it coming

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2022, 06:39 AM »
If you put text on the sleeves, please have it right-side up when arm is extended.
Having the text upside down makes no sense to me and rubs my OCD the wrong way.

Example of upside down???
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2022, 08:11 AM »
a mix between these two https://www.carhartt.com/product/103308/rain-defender-relaxed-fit-midweight-sherpa-lined-full-zip-sweatshirt and https://www.simmsfishing.com/products/rogue-hoody

The simms is more of a jacket than a hoodie but its darn near perfect save for the fit - needs to be more relaxed fitting. pockets are perfect, hood is nice, super water proof, etc
The Carhartt is extremely warm but a bit bulky - lacks a chest pocket

Catchin' Fish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2022, 09:25 AM »
This item below with the added fetures I described above gets my vote...in charcoal gray

https://www.amazon.com/EHG-Elite-Pocket-Quarter-Technical/dp/B081QVMS71

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2022, 08:00 AM »
Here you go

Keep it to a reasonable price...bet you wont be able to keep them in stock 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2022, 08:50 AM »
Yup, make Diehards hoodie out of wool and make it windproof.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Great question from an apparently motivated sponsor!

For me:

+ Heavyweight material. Should be adequate to stand outside without a heater down to the mid-20F range

+ Wind/rain resistant or proof

+ 1/4 zip at the neck for ventilation. Maybe even go a 1/3 zip... Do check the neck design on the Carhartt Rain Defender series. It's kind of a mash up of regular zip with a higher mock turtleneck. Really nice feature

+ I like the high kanga pouch idea with the zip small pocket on the front with the regular lower pouch. I'd add zips on each end of the kanga pouch so you could have a very secure place to keep other stuff.

+ Oh yeah, back to the Carhartt Rain Defender. There is a smaller pouch inside the big one to fit a hand warmer. It keeps the warmer dry from damp hands (who doesn't get those) when you really need a good warm up. Plus it's not flopping around with other stuff you may have in there OR falling out easily.

+ I'd take a drawstring on the hood for extra blustery days. Never like to tie so some sort of clip or clamp like a toggle bead works for me. If that I'd put an eyelet at the hood holes. I replace all mine with shoelaces if they have those floppy, crappy "strings" and cut 'em just short enough to end right at the hole with a toggle bead (good size one) so they aren't always flying around in the way.

+ Yes on the cuffs!

- No Sherpa lining for me. I'm often comfortable with a T shirt, one other thermal layer and a good sweatshirt. If I'm too warm and can't get down one layer and be comfortable than I'm stuck being too warm or too cold. Allow for dressing in layers. Or... offer a zip in Sherpa liner for those that want it.

DO make sure they are made at least to size for Americans. You know... Old fat guys that eat too much, drink beer, smoke cigars and sit on a bucket ;) Seriously, allow for at least a real size fit or a bit larger (relaxed/loose) as opposed to having them be "aaaa, it's a little small for XXL". No one will complain about that.

Thanks for your sponsorship! Looking forward to see if/how this transpires. And yes, if this is offered with all these features it will not be cheap. But I'm a value guy and will easily pay for a well made, feature laden product at a reasonable price.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2022, 10:28 AM »
Great question from an apparently motivated sponsor!

For me:

+ Heavyweight material. Should be adequate to stand outside without a heater down to the mid-20F range

+ Wind/rain resistant or proof

+ 1/4 zip at the neck for ventilation. Maybe even go a 1/3 zip... Do check the neck design on the Carhartt Rain Defender series. It's kind of a mash up of regular zip with a higher mock turtleneck. Really nice feature

+ I like the high kanga pouch idea with the zip small pocket on the front with the regular lower pouch. I'd add zips on each end of the kanga pouch so you could have a very secure place to keep other stuff.

+ Oh yeah, back to the Carhartt Rain Defender. There is a smaller pouch inside the big one to fit a hand warmer. It keeps the warmer dry from damp hands (who doesn't get those) when you really need a good warm up. Plus it's not flopping around with other stuff you may have in there OR falling out easily.

+ I'd take a drawstring on the hood for extra blustery days. Never like to tie so some sort of clip or clamp like a toggle bead works for me. If that I'd put an eyelet at the hood holes. I replace all mine with shoelaces if they have those floppy, crappy "strings" and cut 'em just short enough to end right at the hole with a toggle bead (good size one) so they aren't always flying around in the way.

+ Yes on the cuffs!

- No Sherpa lining for me. I'm often comfortable with a T shirt, one other thermal layer and a good sweatshirt. If I'm too warm and can't get down one layer and be comfortable than I'm stuck being too warm or too cold. Allow for dressing in layers. Or... offer a zip in Sherpa liner for those that want it.

DO make sure they are made at least to size for Americans. You know... Old fat guys that eat too much, drink beer, smoke cigars and sit on a bucket ;) Seriously, allow for at least a real size fit or a bit larger (relaxed/loose) as opposed to having them be "aaaa, it's a little small for XXL". No one will complain about that.

Thanks for your sponsorship! Looking forward to see if/how this transpires. And yes, if this is offered with all these features it will not be cheap. But I'm a value guy and will easily pay for a well made, feature laden product at a reasonable price.

X2, love the neck on my rain defender.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2022, 10:49 AM »
@WindRiderGear - when do we get to start testing prototypes? I will be on the ice next weekend! The weather is coming ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Baerskin Hoodies look great but pricey... Lots of good ideas with them though, I'm holding off for a little bit on getting one to see what Windrider comes up with, if it's comparable I'd rather support a company like Windrider that communicates with us.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2022, 01:59 PM »
I got into my Carhartt Rain Defender for $55 before tax. Pretty good deal, about $10 offa retail. Start adding features and it gets incrementally more expensive. Not inconceivable that the "Dream Hoodie" could wind up in "Baerskin" territory.

Like I said, I'm all about value. Full featured and quality construction for a price is not outside my realm of consideration or ownership.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2022, 02:38 PM »
I got into my Carhartt Rain Defender for $55 before tax. Pretty good deal, about $10 offa retail. Start adding features and it gets incrementally more expensive. Not inconceivable that the "Dream Hoodie" could wind up in "Baerskin" territory.

Like I said, I'm all about value. Full featured and quality construction for a price is not outside my realm of consideration or ownership.

I'm with all of the above. I kind of think that Striker pullover looks pretty nice, but for $150, it shouldn't cost as much as, or more than a floatation jacket.

My buddy got a Windrider suit last weekend, he doesn't have a Prime account so I ordered it and brought it over to him, and got a good look at it. Quality is up there with the better suits in my opinion, so I'd think this proposed sweatshirt would be too. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I'd be thinking I'd really consider buying at $60-$70 if it's a sweatshirt/hoodie. A pullover with a breathablity rating and DWR, up to $80. 

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2022, 06:40 PM »
I would suggest to offer one of the colors in some sort of camo so it can be used for other outdoor activities.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2023, 12:25 PM »
WindRider any progress on the hoodie ideas presented here?

Offline VanNoord

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2023, 08:18 PM »
Lightweight material, moisture wicking and wind resistant.
Tight elastic bottom with hood cinchers instead of hood ties/laces.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2023, 09:05 PM »
Best hoodie I’ve seen and own is the Aftco Reaper. Built-in facemask/neck gaiter. Water resistant. Venting. Warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.