Author Topic: STRIKER ICE BIBS -- BUILT IN KNEE PADS  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
STRIKER ICE BIBS -- BUILT IN KNEE PADS
« on: Sep 27, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Hello To All,

It's a little bit early in the year, but I just wanted to run something by the ice fishing community, if anyone is on this site yet.

I have a pair of Striker Hardwater Ice Bibs, and my friend has a pair of Striker Predator Ice Bibs. We both bought our bibs in December 2018.
We loved the built in knee pads. However, the knee pads in both sets of bibs were worn out within about 5 weeks of normal use.
It was like they just thinned out or something. The knee pads inside of the bibs are packets that have a quilted padding material in them.
I think that it just wasn't the correct choice of material for Striker to use. The bibs are high quality and I am glad that I bought them, but I was surprised
that the knee padding material had such a short life span. Has anyone else had this experience with their Striker Ice Bibs? Thanks for any helpful information that you can provide.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: STRIKER ICE BIBS -- BUILT IN KNEE PADS
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2019, 12:50 PM »
First I have heard of this. Give their customer service a shot before they get overwhelmed, see if they have any suggestions.  They were great for an issue I had end of last season.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2019, 01:42 PM »
The pads both knee and seating on my SI suits are nothing to brag about ..love the suits.. I own 3..but if its a concern you may want to contact them . I would call email and FB Msg them ..busy time of year for them .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2019, 03:45 PM »
I fish on my knees 90% of the time and my suit is same age about as yours, with no problems on mine. Also I fish 4-6 days a week, maybe u just got a bad set

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I've got an original SnoSuit that has both knee pads and a seat pad. The inserts aren't much, neoprene clad on both sides with some sort of fabric. I've had this thing for some 10 years and the pads are still in good shape. Granted, I'm not the hole hopping warriors that some of you are still I have been impressed with the comfort and durability. I believe the neoprene is 1/4" and is commonly available. I found some on Amazon. It would be easy to make a pattern, cut what you need and replace.

Here's an example: https://smile.amazon.com/Neoprene-Sponge-Rubber-Fabric-Material/dp/B07BCXK9XT/ref=pd_sbs_201_2/144-9662569-1352654?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BCXK9XT&pd_rd_r=fdbb5f41-cd3b-44ff-a503-8c53dec4d9a2&pd_rd_w=fo6G6&pd_rd_wg=jBR3u&pf_rd_p=d66372fe-68a6-48a3-90ec-41d7f64212be&pf_rd_r=KYXJR1BS3982J22508J0&psc=1&refRID=KYXJR1BS3982J22508J0

If you want more pad in the knees double it up, sew it together and hop you heart out!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:32 PM »
I actually had the same problem with my hardware bibs the year I got them. Figured that’s just how they all were but I guess not. Unfortunately for me it’s probably wayyyy to late for them to do anything

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Update on my Striker Hardwater Series Ice Bibs -- I will try to keep this as short as possible.
I did contact Striker about this problem. They said that if I pay to ship my bibs back to Striker, that they would inspect them to see if the knee pads failed due to manufacturer defect.
If they do come to that conclusion, they will replace the knee pads under warranty at no charge, and then ship them back to me. This process takes about three weeks.
I asked if they would install access to the pads, so that if they failed again, then I could easily replace them with other padding. They said no and that I should not have any issues with the replacements knee pads,
because Striker rarely has failures with their knee pads. I was still not convinced that the new knee pads would hold up, so I asked Striker if they would replace my Hardwarter bibs with a set of Predator Ice Bibs.
I explained to them that the Predator Series bibs do come with an access opening to the knee pads, and that they should make all of their BIBS that way. They said that they would swap them out for a set a Predator bibs if the they agree that the knee pads failed due to manufacturer defect. I shipped them out this week. Hopefully all of this information will be useful to you. I will let you know what happens, in a much shorter message.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Very useful info  :thumbsup: Good luck!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Final Update on my Striker Hardwater Series Ice Bibs. After a preliminary inspection by the people at Striker, they determined that the knee pads did indeed fail. They were not sure if any knee pads were even installed in them, due to the lack of padding. In response to this matter, they shipped me a new pair of Predator Series Ice Bids, which is what I requested them to do. Now I can access the knee pads via the velcro opening that is installed at the top of the knee area, on the inside of the bibs.
I did open that compartment and found the same thin quilted cloth pads, inside. I will add some additional foam padding to the knee pad compartment, since there is plenty of room to do so. One other detail is that the Predator Series Ice Bibs are not as warm as the Hardwater Series. I am okay with that, but if someone decides to make the same switch, they will have to consider that factor. Thanks for your input and replies.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2019, 05:01 AM »
Thanks for the updates! Good to know!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2019, 05:43 AM »
There’s supposed to be knee pads in the bibs? Shows how much I pay attention  to the smalls. Either way I love my hard water suit. Thinking of getting a new set. Thanks for the info on the predator gear not being as warm as hard water.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Striker has replaced the knee pads in my bibs before. Not the predator but the original striker lite bibs. When you first get them, they’re like a dream come true when you’re kneeling down. But they do wear out fast. The padded knees in my predator suit are paper thin. I bet the bibs aren’t even an eighth of an inch thick at the knees.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Thanks for the info on the predator gear not being as warm as hard water.

Just an fyi but striker has a warmth comparison chart of the different series under FAQs.
https://strikerbrands.com/pages/faq

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:24 AM »
I have not had any issues with the knee pads on my hardwater suit but did have a zipper that the threads came loose on the front chest waterproof pocket. It's where I put my cell in and it gets a lot of use. I sent it in and they repaired it and it was back by my house exactly 7 days later. Cost $35 to repair and ship back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.