Author Topic: Storing/Carrying Jack Traps  (Read 10562 times)

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
Storing/Carrying Jack Traps
« on: Oct 06, 2007, 12:07 PM »
I just got a set of 4 Jack Traps and am having trouble coming up with an idea of how to store/carry them on the ice.  They are the 26" standards (26" long folded and 3.25" across the spool shaft) and quite heavy.  They are too tall to put in a 5 gal. bucket, my packbasket is way too short, and the commercially made tipup cases are too small.  The only think I can think of is to make one from 4" dia. PVC in a quad "missle launcher" configuration with a carrying strap.  Does anyone else have a better design?  ???

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Storing/Carrying Jack Traps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2007, 03:54 PM »
I keep mine in one of those plastic totes that fits under the bed.  It sets nicely on a plastic sled(held on with a couple bungee straps), and fits even better in my Jet sled. 

Hope this is the kind of thing you are looking for.   :tipup:
I love a flag!!!!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Here's what I've done.  I've bolted two 5 gal buckets together.  The top bucket has the bottom cut off.  Then use the PVC in the bottom.  The extra length bucket helps. 
Chris Raymond

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2007, 06:55 PM »
CA, what I did was get a liner with pockets, for my basket. Everything fits nicely, incuding the spud and tacklebox. When I'm ready to go, I just pull the string tight and have a neat package ready to go. Those are nice trapps, how do you like them so far?  ;D
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Man, those traps are so sweet I don't know if I have the heart to get them wet.  ;D   Every couple of days I get them out, spin the spool, & set the flag off a couple of times.  Temps have been in the mid 80's here, and ice looks to be a loooooong way off.  >:(

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:31 PM »
I see you are looking for a way to store and transport your jack traps... here's a idea that I use to transport my rods. This is a secret and if you tell anyone I might have to come looking for you. In the hunting dept. they sell a hard case for arrows, looks like a suitcase, might work with your traps. Also around the line I use Velcro strips that I get from Menard's, to keep the hooks in place and from unspooling.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline flintlokusa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:47 PM »
If you know any one that is into Blackpowder Rendezvous, get a tent catalog from them. Most companies make nice canvas bags, that are long and narrrow for tents,and for other uses,  that work great for your traps. Hope this helps
Keep Your Powder Dry

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2007, 07:30 AM »
I bought the large pack basket and havent had an issue with my traps falling out at all. but just to insure they dont i put a pack basket liner in it and sinch it up when i take off across the ice.
                                         sticks

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:39 AM »
i went to johann fabrics bought some material by the yard for like 10 bucks, i was going to have pockets sewn up for each trap, but just wrapped them with it and put them in a gear bag and into jet sled

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2007, 05:48 PM »
    Hey, You'll love those traps for a long time, there in my opinion the best of the best.. for carrying/storage, I use a tall pack with liner. I also live near where Jack Traps are made and noticed they sell duffel packs and Trap socks for this very thing I'm sure there available on-line as well... Hope this helps. Enjoy those traps.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2007, 02:54 PM »
i went to johann fabrics bought some material by the yard for like 10 bucks, i was going to have pockets sewn up for each trap, but just wrapped them with it and put them in a gear bag and into jet sled

I actually made up separate sleeves for each of mine...now I see on their web site they went that route.  Wished I would have known those were in the works, would have saved me a bit of time. 
Chris Raymond

HenryDavid

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:39 AM »
Just got the "Trap Sock" from Jack Traps.com holds 5 traps, a bit pricey but very well made, pockets for 5, nice cinch - draw string top, and nice heavy straps for backpacking it.  Extremely well made, just like their tip-ups.

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:47 PM »
i also have the trap bag from jack traps and its a nice idea but cabelas does make a tip up bag big enough for jack traps. i have 31" standard and they all 5 fit nice

HenryDavid

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2008, 04:01 AM »
Here's a pic of the "Trap Sock":

same thing ?

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:22 AM »
i have that same ne in camo but i still like the cabelas bag better. zippered pockets on the side. padded storage for each trap.  room for food skimmer and everything else. which you can fit in the trap sock but its not organized at all and your skimmer beats the hell outa your traps

HenryDavid

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Wow, sounds good, I searched Cabelas but I can only find large "all gear" type bags, any specific brand name
on yours,  looks like I could've saved some money, I should've shopped around.

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2008, 05:48 PM »
its the jr.s arctic ice rod case. check it out

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:12 PM »
hi there trapsock, i sho8uld also mention this, out of the 5 pockets on my trap sock one is stitched to higha nd one trap sticks way out of my bag by about 5 inches where the others are all down in there nicely. i do like the big shoulder harness, very nice.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Any ideas anyone has on what could make our bags better we are designing next years bag line and would like the customers input.  Thank you

Looked at them today, decided it was too much $$$ for basically a bag. How about making one that it much simpler? All I need is a secure bag for my traps to keep them together. Don't need pockets, sholder straps or anything fancy. Just a simple bag for about $20.

It did look like a very well made bag, just way overkill and too much $$$. Sorry if this is not the type of feedback you were asking for...  ;D

Offline Icewarrior

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:51 PM »
i use a basket, have seen people with some pretty cool bags though dont know where to get em

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:26 PM »
trap sock, i appreciate that. i dont expect you to do that, if i ddint have 31" jacks thaey wpould fit fine. i like the bag and i have a second set of shorter ones that will be taking up the space in that bag. i look foward to the new style! keep up the good work

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Ive got 3 big bobs and 2 east granders and what i did was go to walmart and picked out the tallest folding camping chair with the bag i like the best...10 bux and i tossed the chair aside for the back deck this summer. tall enough for my jacks and a drawstring at the top!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Looked at them today, decided it was too much $$$ for basically a bag. How about making one that it much simpler? All I need is a secure bag for my traps to keep them together. Don't need pockets, sholder straps or anything fancy. Just a simple bag for about $20.

It did look like a very well made bag, just way overkill and too much $$$. Sorry if this is not the type of feedback you were asking for...  ;D

JimP - the bag you are looking for is made by DenMar Sports out of Bangor.  Very simply, does the job.  I like it better than the Trap Sock my friend just bought. 

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Thank you

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:14 PM »
hey1 my psot gopt deleted as well! **censored**

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:29 PM »
So did mine so where is the bias again  ???

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:07 PM »
It was a joke dude... That is why I used a  :woot: at the end. If your buddie would have done the same I would have taken his very insulting post as a joke. no worries...

I think you make a very well made bag. Made in Maine to boot. That is a good thing. I said that in my original post. It is just not exactly what I want at this point with my rig. Hey, no problem lots of guys use them that way. ALL I was saying is that if you made the basic bag with out the shoulder straps and the pockets I would want one. I may have been out of line suggesting it would be $20 but I figured there would be less materials and mainly labor would be less. Your the one that sets the prices, they sell or they don't. You asked for feedback. I thought I was doing as you asked.

No hard feelings to either you or the other guy. In retrospect I am guessing he was just busting on me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I got riled up because I go out of my way to by local first and then Made in the USA. His assertion that I was looking for a used grocery bag was so off I figured I would bust on him too.

Like I said, no worries. You make a good trap bag.

As to why you might have been deleted, take it up with the moderators. I have found them to be very fair and every time I have heard their side of things I totally understood where they were coming from. Take an minute and PM one of them before you give up. This is a great site. I have been deleted. I think my first post was "returned for modifications". I got over it. These aren't life and death issues.

Jim

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:10 AM »
 :woot: haha i was kiddin also. things just seem to flow off the tonge, i hate it when it does that h ;D i think its funny though that the posts got deleted hahahaha

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Go to a place that sells wicker baskets. I got a extra tall one from a place called "the basket barn" it has straps  so you can wear it on your back. Maybe $40, but well worth it.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2008, 01:45 PM »
i also have the trap bag from jack traps and its a nice idea but cabelas does make a tip up bag big enough for jack traps. i have 31" standard and they all 5 fit nice

I tried looking in Cabelas for this bag; but couldn't find it. Can you post the link?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.