Author Topic: First Timer  (Read 2987 times)

TroutDude

First Timer
« on: Nov 12, 2003, 04:02 PM »
I am part of an ice fishing contest up in the northern woods of wisconsin with some of my buddies.  I have never been fishing or ice fishing before. I have no idea what i am doing.  I have to build a shanky that can be transported. If you could please give me some tips on Ice fishing or building a shanty i would appreciate it.  thank you

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Re:First Timer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2003, 05:34 PM »
Where's the tourney in Wisconsin?  We might be competitors.

As far as the shanty goes, I'll give you my opinion.  Go to one of the many sporting goods stores and check out the ones available.  This will give you a good starting point.  However, if it was me, I'd just buy one while I was there.  Get your buddies to kick in and it won't be too bad.  I've seen about a million different configurations, and I've never seen a home-made that was better than the ones available.  If you've got a lot of extra time on your hands, you'll save a few bucks by building one, but personally I don't think it's worth it.

As far as the fishing goes, what are you planning to fish for?  If you can narrow it down, it'll be easier for us to give you a hand.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

TroutDude

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:44 PM »
The fish that are in the lake are panfish and large mouthbass mainly.

TroutDude

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:51 PM »
Also what type of tip-ups would you recommend that i use?

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:56 PM »
i would recommend getting polar tip-ups. i love them, when is this contest?

-Evan

TroutDude

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2003, 07:08 PM »
Its in the northernwoods of wisconsin.  Its a contest between me and some of my friends

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2003, 07:15 PM »
...... when? lol not where.

-Evan

TroutDude

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2003, 07:36 PM »
My bad. Its Jan 16-19th

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2003, 09:34 PM »
Mid-January for bass?  Good luck.  In my experience, during mid winter bass turn vegetarian.  Pound a couple holes, drop in some tip-ups, light a nice toasty fire up on the shore, and crack open a frosty clydsdayle lite or mix up a bloody mary.  Start up the grill and throw on the brats and burgers.  Eat, drink, and be merry.  If you catch a fish, all the better.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

missfishylicious

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2003, 02:11 PM »
I'm with you kerosenecounty17 mid jan is the worst fishing time in my opinion try some shrimp on your jig sometimes that will get the fussy ones to bite

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2003, 12:40 PM »
If you want to save yourself a lot of work, pick up a handheld depthfinder.  It'll help you pinpoint the structure where the fish will be holding. Once you get "hooked" on ice fishing (and you will) invest in a quality depthfinder, it'll save you a ton of time and effort drilling holes. I have also had good success using dip or spray attractants especially for bass through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.