Author Topic: Plastic Tub Suppliers - Assistance please  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
Plastic Tub Suppliers - Assistance please
« on: Mar 22, 2015, 12:01 PM »
I am hoping someone out there can help me with some searching for a product(s).

I have got a coupe of projects planned over the course of the year and one of which is a new sled.  What I want to do is use a large plastic tub and because it will be mounted on skis I don't need a sled (i.e. no sloped front/back) because you loose interior storage space with the sloped front.  I already have two calf sleds mounted on skis so a similar setup would be my fall back.

I really want a rectangular plastic tub 5-6 feet long, no less than 10" deep and ideally ~12-14" deep,
 and ~20-24" wide with a lip around the top.  Very similar to the "explorer sled".  The explorer sled (mounted on skis) may end being my fall back b/c the size hits all my requirements.

I've looked at farm supply sites, industrial food and waste sites and I get close but not quite.  Hopefully some of you may know a manufacturer that can fit the bill or an existing product that can be modified.

Thank you in advance!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Plastic Tub Suppliers - Assistance please
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Check with Canadian Tire, I found the Frabil Commando tub there for $59.00 here in Ontario I bought one as a spare bottom for my hut and use it as a supplemental for hauling gear.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ice-sled-medium-0788265p.html#.VQ8F5vzF9U0  It is approximately 58 inches long x 32 inches wide x 8 inches high.

When I bought mine thet had 27 in stock, now they are down to one.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Poly mortar tub (used for mixing mortar and concrete). Lowes, Home Depots.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2015, 03:07 PM »
you should be able to get the mortar tubs in different sizes to fit your needs

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Fry Flier - thank you, however, a mounting a sled tub would be my fall back option and I am set on that explorer sled if that's my route.  I already have two calf sleds on skis and an otter and pelican as well with removable skis.

Big Ice Hole & Builder - I looked into mortar tubs and with the exception of the forklift/crane models none are close enough to the size.  If you have a manufacturer in mind please share the links and thank you.

I found a manufacturer that makes something close but a little bigger than I had planned.  I will call them tomorrow and see what's what.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Check out Automotive Accessory catalogs for those Tool chests made for the back of trucks.  You can also find them used on Craigslist.  I saw an ice fishing setup with one of those mounted on skis, up high like a Smitty Sled.  Very clean looking and functional...... lots of room too !!  Check it out !!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Two commercial fish totes placed end to end might do it for you.  They cost $12-15, I think.  They nest or stack depending on how you orient them.  Check your local chandlery.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Checkout RGFIXIT's smitty sled. His posts are all over the N.Y. Sites.
Check out Automotive Accessory catalogs for those Tool chests made for the back of trucks.  You can also find them used on Craigslist.  I saw an ice fishing setup with one of those mounted on skis, up high like a Smitty Sled.  Very clean looking and functional...... lots of room too !!  Check it out !!

Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Two commercial fish totes placed end to end might do it for you.  They cost $12-15, I think.  They nest or stack depending on how you orient them.  Check your local chandlery.

Hoping for all in one unit but maybe I'll check in with commercial guys at the cabin this spring.

Hadn't considered them but I'll definitely take a peek.  Thing is I am looking to customize the top with hatches so premade is a little limiting, however, modifying one may suit my needs a little more.

www.koendersmfg.com/sled.html
www.polydome.com/utility_sleds.html
www.northernsledworks. com
www.zeebest.com
www.polywest.ca

Thank you.
I know Koenders already and the explorer sled will be my fall back.  Polydome's calf sleds might be an option but I'll have to mock up the sizes with cardboard to see if they'll work.  The others don't have what I am looking for.

Looking into this one tomorrow as I think meets most my needs --> http://www.dmplastics.ca/products/drawings/STO2529.pdf

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:39 PM »
You might check out Rubbermaid Action Packer.  I have a 48 gal one - they look kind of like a very large cooler but have a latching lid.  I've thought of using mine on my Smitty - maybe next year.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:20 AM »
possibly check out tractor supply or other farm sites for water troughs, may find something. wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.