Author Topic: Thoughts on Doing a gear swap?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Thoughts on Doing a gear swap?
« on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:19 PM »
So I was making a Rod and jigs tonight looking at some stuff. Well...I've got some gear in great shape I just don't use much. So I thought maybe We could start a gear swap thread where guys could swap gear they don't use much or at all.

What is your guys thoughts?

I've got some really nice gear I just don't use. For instance nice Rod cases, tip up cases, tip ups, and other stuff I just don't use.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thoughts on Doing a gear swap?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:53 PM »
That's a great idea.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2019, 12:29 AM »
Great idea.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2019, 02:26 AM »
Maybe go local? Kids need gear more than we geezers do.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2019, 07:08 AM »
 Helping the young en's would also be great. Not every one has the uncle I had to help me get started. Either way it's a good idea.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Gear swap is cool. I enjoy our local musky swap in the spring. It's basically the parking lot at the local bait shop and guys can set up tables for free. Buy, sell or trade. The social part is the most fun though. As for this I have just a couple thoughts:

There is already a "Pay it Forward" thread to simply give stuff away. I know you've done a good bit of that already as have a number of other folks. Still, there are some items that seem too valuable to simply give away. I've also got plenty of good stuff that un/underused, but I do have 9 grandkids that like to fish. Thing is if I swap it, what do I swap for? And will it be something I actually use or will it fall into disuse? Or will it take the place of something I use frequently now and push that/those item(s) into disuse? Speaking for myself, I can use only so much stuff at any given time and simply swapping out for something else probably won't have the desired result of thinning the herd.

The format that could work is if you are looking for something sort of specific or just want to try something different. The post would be I am looking for "X" and have "X" item(s) to trade. Or maybe that's what you had in mind...

Be fun to see where this goes!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Im in. Great way to try out stuff that works other parts of the country.
I picked up some walleye rigs from out west that I had great luck with this summer.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:48 PM »
I’ll take your nils bit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I’ll take your nils bit.

Lol I bet you would got a k drill or pistol bit with point to trade

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Nope.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2019, 07:40 AM »
Gear swap is cool. I enjoy our local musky swap in the spring. It's basically the parking lot at the local bait shop and guys can set up tables for free. Buy, sell or trade. The social part is the most fun though. As for this I have just a couple thoughts:

There is already a "Pay it Forward" thread to simply give stuff away. I know you've done a good bit of that already as have a number of other folks. Still, there are some items that seem too valuable to simply give away. I've also got plenty of good stuff that un/underused, but I do have 9 grandkids that like to fish. Thing is if I swap it, what do I swap for? And will it be something I actually use or will it fall into disuse? Or will it take the place of something I use frequently now and push that/those item(s) into disuse? Speaking for myself, I can use only so much stuff at any given time and simply swapping out for something else probably won't have the desired result of thinning the herd.

The format that could work is if you are looking for something sort of specific or just want to try something different. The post would be I am looking for "X" and have "X" item(s) to trade. Or maybe that's what you had in mind...

Be fun to see where this goes!
x2 on how your saying to post or trade
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2019, 10:19 PM »
x2 on how your saying to post or trade

With the distance between us all, I think a meet and greet is kinda out. If the site is okay with it, I think posting items you have and posting what your looking for would work well. Bigger ticket items might not work with shipping though....who knows.

Like esox_xtm said......many of us have more gear then we could ever use.  My thoughts is instead of buying more stuff to add to the pile, maybe a guy could trade stuff when wanting to try other stuff out, or trade lures you don't like. Or even rods, reels, etc.

I've always been the guy that has the gear so everybody can go and doesn't need anything. A perfect example is I have a postcard of 30 walleye spoons in my ice shack that I have hanging I bought from Amazon. Just incase somebody needs a lure........... It's been 2 years and nobody has used one.....but it's still there just in case. Lol.

Just off the top of my head I've got a list of gear that I would think about trading....if.

Reels-kinda over the inlines like them but would trade for a nice spinning reel of a similar value.

2-black Betty 6061 black 2nd gen
1-black Betty 6061 silver reels
1 frabill 371 inline...
1 13 descent inline
1 13 fishing tear drop

2 blue berkley/Nordic plastic tip ups (not round)
1 HT tipup case long
1 HT tipup case round

1 clam live well fish net/bag
1 clam clear collapsible minnow bag
Set of weed EZ
Nature vision weed to clip on camera cord.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:44 AM »
I would be up for it, but not many people in central Pennsylvania I'm guessing.  I'll try to go through my stuff and post what I have soon.  I might be interested in those Frabill Thermals if I happen to have anything you need, which is doubtful.  haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I would be interested in this as well.  I will post some stuff up.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:06 AM »
So Agro, anything in particular you're looking for?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:50 PM »

Here is pic of the tipups. Caught some pike on them, but got beaver damns last Christmas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.