Author Topic: Polaris Tow Hitch Help  (Read 1323 times)

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
Polaris Tow Hitch Help
« on: Oct 05, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Hi guys. Getting ready for the upcoming ice season. Was hoping I could get some recommendations for a hitch for my 1997 Polaris Touring sled. I have a digger mount for the auger and really don't want to drill into the sled or back bar. Any input is appreciated. Pics even better!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Polaris Tow Hitch Help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Might be able to use existing holes for the mudflap.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:46 PM »
The easiest would be to just drill into the rear bump(bracket where you have your digger hooked to).this is what I did on my 1997 XLT RMK. another option might be to enlarge the bolt holes in the digger auger holder then get a digger receiver hitch and bolt that to the digger auger carrier then reinforce the whole setup with larger bolts instead of your current bolts. This is how I did it with mine but now I have moved the digger auger carrier over to my four wheeler but left the hitch on the sled

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Thanks for the come backs! I was hoping to find ax clamp on style bracket similar to the bumper mounted hitches I had seen on some ski doo's. Just hate drilling into stuff if there is a bolt on option.

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2019, 10:12 AM »
My first question would be, what are you planning on pulling with it? a lightly loaded 1man shack vs a loaded 3 man or a chain of shacks would change how I would mount the hitch. If you are going to pull only light stuff and the auger mount is secured well to the bumper, I would consider mounting the hitch to the digger mount. If it you are going to pull heavy loads I think you should consider drilling and mounting to the bumper.
Another option is to design a bottom plate for securing the digger mount to the bumper and incorporate the hitch into the bottom plate, similar to the plate already used.

After thinking more while typing this, I would mount it directly to the digger mount, and add a spacer block that spans the width of the inside of the bumper so that the force is transferred to the bumper during pulling compared to the 4 contact points in the current digger mount clamp plate.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2019, 10:42 AM »
I have a solution to your mounting problems that requires NO drilling. And that is to use automotive worm drive hose clamps of the appropriate size.You could even put a strip of inner-tube first and then the hose clamp, tightening with a ratchet wrench and socket!! Just make sure you tighten it enough to conform to the frame!! :flex: :thumbsup: :icefish:

My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Buy 2 of these, toss one of the rings, keep the other, use 2 carriage bolts to sandwich the thing on your bumper.  They sell them at Fleet Farm by the trailer hitches

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/keeper-1-5-in-d-ring-anchor-point/0000000264591?bc=Keeper

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.