The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Best Float Bibs/Jacket  (Read 12459 times)

Offline Gibby1231

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Float Bibs/Jacket
« on: Sep 29, 2017, 01:50 PM »
What is the best float bibs and jacket on the market and why?  Looking to upgrade from my Carhartts.  Thanks in advance!

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Float Bibs/Jacket
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2017, 02:01 PM »
I have 0 complaints with my Striker predator jacket and bibs.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2017, 02:02 PM »
The major manufactures for floating ice suits ...Striker Ice ,Clam, Frabill and Anorakk Suit

http://www.strikerbrands.com/

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ascent&_ga=2.244761605.148013792.1506711418-313602478.1506711418

http://www.frabill.com/apparel/ice-fishing-apparel/i-float-jacket.html

http://www.expeditionoutdoors.com/expedition-anorakk-suit/

I have the Striker Ice Predator and Climate both Bibs and Parka ...love them...most vary between price points, features, colors from each make and model to each their own ...do an IceShanty SEARCH (upper left) on your perspective choices.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2017, 11:46 PM »
i started with artic armor (first float assist ice suit) and was always cold in it. when the sun started setting i would have to put on a down vest to try to keep my back warm enough to stay on ice. very loud suit to wear also and the stitching in the seams started wearing thin and the velcro on the bib pockets quit working. it did save my life once, so it was worth buying them, but i did change brands to striker and found them to much better in every way. i researched the brand before buying and went with the hardwater version because of the fabric denier is the thickest and 2nd warmest they have to offer. after wearing out my last over priced ice suit, i want to make sure to try not to make the same mistake again.

i bought my wife the woman's version so we are both safe and comfortable on ice.

try to wear things that don't absorb water like cotton or wool. getting out of the water means the more water weight on your person, the harder it will be to get out of it. that's why there are drain holes in the better ice suits. so look into a poly under wear and don't wear pants, they aren't needed and not as comfortable as just a poly base or some thing better that doesn't absorb water.

when i did a self rescue, i used my elbows to walk my back onto the ice far and then swing kick both of my knees onto the side of the ice hole and lifted the rest of my body out and rolled away from the hole. the suit will have you laying on your back anyways. it was super easy to do and i didn't need to fumble for picks or screwdrivers. the suit keeps you up high in the water so it makes it easy to get out and keeps your head from going under water too from the drop when you fall in. i most always wear my parka even when it's not that cold and take it off after i get to fishing. it's the best insurance policy you can have to be able to get back home.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2017, 11:41 AM »
I bought the Striker Ice Predator bibs last year. First floating apparel I bought ever. LOVE them! Waterproof yet breathable, VERY warm! Functional, and seem to be very durable and great fit! Going to buy the Jacket this year!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I own a set of the Striker Hardwater bibs and jacket.  It's like wearing your shanty....very warm.  In fact I only bring my shanty with me now if it's super windy or I'm going to be out all day. 
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Another vote for the Stryker.  Have the hardwater and I can tell you they are very warm.  I do a lot of walking so I do find myself having to take off the jacket while walking long distances later in the season.  One thing that I really liked about them was the fact that you can adjust the length of the pants near the boot to avoid having them drag on the ground/slush.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2017, 02:40 PM »

Another vote for striker

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:05 PM »
May I ask, if a person could only do the jacket or the bibs to start with, which would be better? Do both items by themselves keep you afloat? Asking about the striker brand.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Yes to Stryker  ;) I have the predator bibs & jacket, very comfortable plenty warm enough and good insurance if the unthinkable should happen  :thumbsup:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:18 PM »
May I ask, if a person could only do the jacket or the bibs to start with, which would be better? Do both items by themselves keep you afloat? Asking about the striker brand.

I would get the bibs first ...as you will always wear the bibs ...the jacket is an on off layering clothing item ...both float ...as I have tried the combo Climate jacket/bibs and then just the bibs...last summer off a floating dock in 8-9 fow ...jacket/bibs did not hit bottom ...bibs did touch bottom briefly ...both times popped up like a cork ...they tend to float you on your back ...note the dock was appox 2 foot up from water ...so a downward force not associated with breaking through the ice was in play .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Got the Anorakk suit last year, I love it, great wind protection and it floats well (damn southeast Nebraska ice!). It comes as a complete set, watch expedition outdoors or Marine General for sales, I got mine for $225 with free shipping.
"Balance in all things"

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:11 AM »
How are the Striker predator jacket and bibs size wize? do they run big, or small? Thanks

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:45 AM »
How are the Striker predator jacket and bibs size wize? do they run big, or small? Thanks

Their size chart is pretty good......check out their clearance tab 

http://www.strikerice.com/product/predator-jacket/.....go to size chart tab

What size should I order?

You can find your size by referring to our size charts. Note that most men’s styles run about a half size big. Measure your waist at the largest dimension, even if it is at the belly button. This may or may not be your pants size. The Climate jacket is tapered so it can me more comfortable when worn without the softshell lining. Other jackets are full cut. Consider one size larger Climate jacket for “experienced bellies

http://www.strikerice.com/faqs/

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2017, 06:21 AM »
As stated above I am a Striker fan but if your interested in a floating suit and on a serious budget, check out these links for the Frabill I-Float Jacket & Bib.  Retail is $550 for a set but here you can get a set for $181.31 with Free Shipping!! 

Here is a link for the coat: SOLD OUT

Here is a link for the bibs: https://www.wingsupply.com/frabill-i-bib.html

Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2017, 12:05 AM »
I'm looking for bibs. I'm confused about the Frabill I-Float bibs. My understanding is that they are not coast guard certified (or whatever the term) but do they float?

I have a Striker jacket that I love but these bibs are a lot cheaper.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:29 AM »
reading the specs on the hardwater bibs and the predator bibs have me confused. I tried on the only pair of hardwater bibs my local store had and they were small on me. The girl showed me that the length of the legs could be adjusted so as not to drag on the ground, these were referred to as "Adjustable Inseam Length". This morning I'm looking at the bibs on Striker's website, and their description of the predator bibs state that it has "Infinite Adjustable Cuff". Are these the same thing or am I missing something. The sales girl also told me she would call when their shipment came in from striker, haven't got it yet, might have to make a trip up there to see. Thanks.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:03 AM »
Another vote for striker
And 1 more vote for Striker.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Uncle Al....the inseam length is adjustable about 6 in

Predator 100 g... 7/10  (warmth rating) .....Hardwater....150 g...9/10.......Climate   10/10 to 4/10 liners removed

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:09 AM »
reading the specs on the hardwater bibs and the predator bibs have me confused. I tried on the only pair of hardwater bibs my local store had and they were small on me. The girl showed me that the length of the legs could be adjusted so as not to drag on the ground, these were referred to as "Adjustable Inseam Length". This morning I'm looking at the bibs on Striker's website, and their description of the predator bibs state that it has "Infinite Adjustable Cuff". Are these the same thing or am I missing something. The sales girl also told me she would call when their shipment came in from striker, haven't got it yet, might have to make a trip up there to see. Thanks.
when i had to decide i looked at the specs of the material first. the hardwater is the most durable of their offerings, so i chose it. it's a lot warmer than the ice armor and artic armor and much more thought went into striker than the other brands.

the cuff statement you read sounds like a sales gimmick. they both have the same cuff adjustment and has three lengths to pick from using velcro in predefined lengths. unless they changed the velcro placement since i looked at them last.

I'm looking for bibs. I'm confused about the Frabill I-Float bibs. My understanding is that they are not coast guard certified (or whatever the term) but do they float?

I have a Striker jacket that I love but these bibs are a lot cheaper.
no reason to change unless your outerwear needs replacing. frabill does float and gets stiff when it gets cold. think giant life jacket when you think frabill outerwear.

striker does have a limited time it will assist you in floating. so i think because of that, it is not coast guard rated/approved. so if your some place that the coast guard says you need proper flotation, then striker would not qualify and frabill would.

coast guard wants to recover you even if you've passed.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:26 AM »
I believe the hardwater and the predator have the 3 position adj bib cuffs and the climate are infinitely adj.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2017, 10:39 AM »
 hardwater diehard, thanks for the vids, it stated that all striker bibs have the adjustable inseam, stopped today at dick's sporting goods and they don't get their ice fishing stuff in the store until the end of nov, early dec. guess I'll have to wait. Went to Franks great outdoors in linwood last month, they had last years leftovers, that was where I tried on the bibs that didn't fit, only pair they had. Sales gal said she would call when their shipment comes in, haven't got that call yet, but thanks again for the vids.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:24 AM »
hardwater diehard, thanks for the vids, it stated that all striker bibs have the adjustable inseam, stopped today at dick's sporting goods and they don't get their ice fishing stuff in the store until the end of nov, early dec. guess I'll have to wait. Went to Franks great outdoors in linwood last month, they had last years leftovers, that was where I tried on the bibs that didn't fit, only pair they had. Sales gal said she would call when their shipment comes in, haven't got that call yet, but thanks again for the vids.

I would call Franks and ask again ...their websites states they are in stock..like everyone else's inventory . Now with the cold weather is upon us the Striker Ice suits will be flying out of inventory everywhere...DSG has been pretty regular on their 20 % off.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:28 AM »
I just bought my second striker ice  climate suit, bought my first one give years ago. Ice never has one issue with it very warm it's nice to zip out the thermals and just have the shells for spring and fall fishing. I don't use shantys, my striker suit ismy shanty and it keeps me fishing. Note my five year old suit is still in great shape let friends where it now. My girlfriend also has a women's striker suit and she loves it, I don't hear "it's cold" anymore lol and I feel better taking her on the ice.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2017, 02:25 PM »
just got the call today from Franks that my size came in, going up this afternoon and check them out.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Got the new striker hardwater bibs and jacket tonight at Franks, 25% off. Got to be the first time i've ever gone out and bought anything on black friday, Thanks for the help on deciding which ones to get.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Good luck with your purchase...you wont be cold and remember about the vents..great when drilling holes on brisk mornings...no sweat

Offline icerink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Anyone have experience with Pro Fishing Supply ?

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2018, 04:51 AM »
I recently bought the new workout gear from the brand carbon38. Their apparels especially the pants are thick so no see through problem is there. Moreover there was a huge sale so I found it bang on deal that fitted perfectly in my budget. I would suggest everyone having a look at their stuff.

Go spam somewhere else. That stuff is absolute garbage.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.