Author Topic: Best Tip Ups  (Read 5368 times)

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Tip Ups
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:02 PM »
What tip ups do you like/think that they are the best on the market and why?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Best Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Might have better responses posting this in the equipment board.. lots of guys out east use tip-ups.

I just use the cheap HT ones that lay flat and spring up the flag, forget what they were called.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:16 PM »
you'll start a huge debate -- it comes down to preference.... I love and swear by Heritage Lakers... although I have always wanted to try Indian Hill -- rumor has it, they're a beefed up heritage.  but if you're new into the tip ups.... the best one is the cheapest one, until you know you like it and what style you want to have.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:06 AM »
What tip ups do you like/think that they are the best on the market and why?

I own and have used a couple of different tip ups. From my experiance I would just suggest the Frabrill orange thermal tip ups. They aren't priced to bad, and they are a thermal tip up which is really nice when the temps get cold. It keeps the holes from freezing shut. Also keeps them visible. I have a few of the wood & ABS plastic H type tip ups also. They work fine, but I have problems with them freezing into the ice hole when it gets cold out. Also, with the H tip ups I've had a clumbsy friend that has lost them down an ice hole.

I've heard that people complain about how short the flags are on the orange thermal tip ups, but they make flag extenders for them know so you can get the flag up in the air higher now.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:09 AM »
HERITAGE LAKERS, love em they can be a little pricey but worth it... I found em at WALMART for $22, which is 10 bucks cheaper than I have seen anywhere else...
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:24 PM »
I own and have used a couple of different tip ups. From my experience I would just suggest the Frabill orange thermal tip ups. They aren't priced to bad, and they are a thermal tip up which is really nice when the temps get cold. It keeps the holes from freezing shut. Also keeps them visible

X2 on these. Bought three last year at $17 each. Seal the hole, flag extends like a car antenna and two different tensions on the release. They fit beautifully in a 5 gallon bucket. With three in the bucket I think there's room for two more.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:29 PM »
IMO Beaver Dam's are the best.  Well worth the price.

Offline strubedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:44 PM »
The beaver dams spin the easiest so the fish never drop the bait.  they last a lifetime.  won't fish with anything else

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:43 PM »
The beaver dams spin the easiest so the fish never drop the bait.  they last a lifetime.  won't fish with anything else

cant afford to use anything else with them at $50 a pop, or you can splurge for the 50th and spend $75 a pop....  cant realy figure out their justification for such a steep price, seeing that the polar tip up does the same thing for $11.  if its really that much of a difference with the free spool, i'll throw some vegetable oil on it to lube it up.....  $250 - $375 for a set of tip ups that a snowmobile wont be able to see until a foot away is crazy - imo

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Spend the money on beaver dams you wont regret it and they will last forever.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Another beaver dam fan here. mine are 20 plus years old!! they were hand me downs. i use hole covers with them so they dont freeze into the ice. i like the round frabils too but they dont see much action unless a buddy comes along and does not have any. they do fit in a bucket nice. the beavers fit pretty good in a 26 tool box.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:12 PM »
My vote would be Beaver Dam. Great tip-ups and last a long time. Never any problems with them.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Depends upon the type of fish your after. I have Jack Traps and fish pike, but there also supposed to be the best for trout. And I can see why. They are the smoothest tripping and running tip ups I've personally seen. You will be set for a long time with any of the above mentioned like the Beaver Dam, Heritage or Indians. They all catch fish same as any other would. It boils down to a personal preference of the style and brand basically.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:27 PM »
My Heritage Tip Ups are almost 20 years old and still fish great. From Trout to Pike. One of the reasons that I have not been in a hurry to get another tip up is the VERY large flags and 34 inch height (with the flag up). I can see them a long ways off if I am out trolling with the jigging rod! They are also very tough and take a lot of abuse, sliding around the bottom of my Clam. I have never stained them or painted them (though it would be a good idea) and they are still going strong. I know there are lots of other ones that would work well and if mine ever die, I will look at the different choices, but for now... If I was to come up with a "weakness" it would be fishing for trout in very shallow water, I still catch them, but maybe a horizontal spool would be better... But then again, I do most of my trout fishing with a fly rod in open water. As to fitting them in a 5 gal bucket (I rarely use them), I bet I can get about 8 or 9 in a bucket...

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Heritage laker is my choice had mine for over 10 years this year I just striped them down an staining them and poly on them I also just bought a set of 5 for my 3 year old daughter for 17 each she will be so happy Christmas morning they are the pink ones they should last her life time of fishing
Just enjoying life

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:15 AM »
i too love my heritages! best for the deep snow we have up here. there are alot of good traps besides these also so i wont say theyre the best.

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2011, 06:16 PM »
  I use Jacks primarily both cross and H style. A few buddies have a few Indian Hill traps which are well built as well. Get what you can afford or want to invest and have fun! :tipup:

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I'm more than happy with my Polar tip-ups... they work great, store easy and don't cost a whole lot.  ;D :tipup:
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2011, 09:38 PM »
I have some no name brand that I got from my father.  They are 30+ years old, they work.  You could buy alot of fish for $50 a pop.  Last time I checked, fish only cared about the hook in their mouth, not the name on the side on the tipups. 

I'm sure the high dollar tipups are nice, but put your money where it counts, good line and hooks. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:05 AM »
Just bought seevral of the Frabil Arctic Fire tip-ups and they seem very well made/operate smoothly. Of course at under $15 each ain't gonna get purdy wood!! ;D

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Ya hit the nail right on the head Loggy, the Frabill Arctic fire tip ups have been the best overall panfish and Rainbow trout tip ups that I've ever owned, and I've owned them all over the years ! Most sensitive due to the ability to infinitely adjust the flag trip pressure to the ability to simply remove one nut and re lube them every year !
 To the diehard BD guys, ever since Uncle Josh Bait company bought out BD, they have been turning out an Inferior over priced shadow of the once Great BD trap ! My die hard BD fan buddy bought 5 new BDs last fall, ever single one had issues, dragging spool shafts, breaking spool shaft solder joints, bad glue joints that failed when exposed to water and the list goes on !
  BD is like Jiffy in a way, they were once the pinnacle of the ice fishing gear world, now they are huge corporation's who are more concerned with the bottom line then the shoddy manufactured, over priced products they are pumping out the doors nowadays to satisfy the investors and board of directors !! All the ice fishing gear makers are going in this same sad direction and we as consumers ultimate pay the price ! Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of all the overpriced junk being put on the market today !!

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Ya hit the nail right on the head Loggy, the Frabill Arctic fire tip ups have been the best overall panfish and Rainbow trout tip ups that I've ever owned, and I've owned them all over the years ! Most sensitive due to the ability to infinitely adjust the flag trip pressure to the ability to simply remove one nut and re lube them every year !
 To the diehard BD guys, ever since Uncle Josh Bait company bought out BD, they have been turning out an Inferior over priced shadow of the once Great BD trap ! My die hard BD fan buddy bought 5 new BDs last fall, ever single one had issues, dragging spool shafts, breaking spool shaft solder joints, bad glue joints that failed when exposed to water and the list goes on !
  BD is like Jiffy in a way, they were once the pinnacle of the ice fishing gear world, now they are huge corporation's who are more concerned with the bottom line then the shoddy manufactured, over priced products they are pumping out the doors nowadays to satisfy the investors and board of directors !! All the ice fishing gear makers are going in this same sad direction and we as consumers ultimate pay the price ! Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of all the overpriced junk being put on the market today !!

Amen brotha

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:52 AM »
The older Frabill Arctic Fire tip-ups with the stronger spring are the best that I've seen for the money. My fellow "Rebel Team" compadre, Rebelfisher turned me onto these several yrs ago. They are made very well. Plus, what's nice about the strong spring is....It makes for an inexpensive way to just simply attach cheap rod-tip bells to the end of it and clip on a small clip-on reflector for night fishing. This is a much cheaper way to go, then to go an buy the devises that are out there on the market. Flag goes of at night, you hear the bell go off, just shine your flashlight out at your tip-ups, and you can clearly see which one is up. The bells are good durin the day too. Especially when your busy bs'n and maybe tendin to a grill or some special nector with your fellow Rebels and a flag goes off. One thing that sucks though. Like every good thing, it ends up bein made cheaper eventually...As the new ones sold today, have a softer spring. So, another words, it isn't strong enough to release up in the air with any force to make a bell ring with all the added weight with the extras I had mentioned.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Beaver Dam Fan here ,  I love the way the line spins off.  Mine are 20 plus years and look and work great
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:19 PM »
automatic fisherman all the way for me. No fighting with the line freezing to the ice after pulling a fish in.
Life's to short live it as if you don't have tomarrow.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Beaver dams hands down. I have some that are 20 some years old and look and work just like my new ones.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:28 PM »
H T Polar Tip ups.......never freeze..... always trip... change settings quickly....small compact......deep spools hold alot of line...plastic never absorbs water... many colors available.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:10 PM »
HT plastic X type for me.

No wood to break/swell/warp, and sensitivity can be adjusted with ease. Insanely light and decades durable too for under $10 a piece.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Doc Hollywood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:14 AM »
I also use frabil Polar Round tipups. They are lightweight, seem to keep hole clear of snow and ice better than others. I keep 3-4 with me at all times. I have used everything from the simple folding wood ones to composit plastic.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Make your own, it's a fun project.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.