Author Topic: People Having Trouble with There Portable Shanties!!!! Hot Tip  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
I went Up North to go ice fishing and spend some time with an old Nordic Ice fisherman called the Turk. Never being smelt fishing before and this old Arctic cat saying that they were some of the best fish one could eat decided to go up to green lake up by Travis City somewhere in Michigan. Although they were calling for winds of 25 mph plus and 14 inches of snow went anyhow. They caught over 300 in three hours the night before and I was ready for some action with no ice here in southern Ohio. We did Fair Turk said that the 1o and eleven inch smelt were some of the biggest he has ever seen or caught. Most were around 7-8 inches but the wind pick up and water started to raise and fall in holes and  decided to leave got his shanty down OK but mine a clam 2000 with the telescopic poles froze up. I had to let the canvas down and pull in folded out and load on truck upside down. The Nordic Fisherman told me if I would of wrap my poles with the insulation that they use on the small water pipes I would of been able to collapse poles easier and not fight with with canvas and cold in theses high wind. He did mention that he did get a giggle watching  8) :tipup: GaToRrrr
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
Re: People Having Trouble with There Portable Shanties!!!! Hot Tip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2005, 07:28 PM »
I would think that spraying them with silicone spray would help.
willing to learn new tactics

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:43 PM »
yes that would help also but when it 10 below and the inside of your portable is a ice wall every little bit helps

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:30 PM »
All I ever use on mine is wd40 a couple times a year, seems to help them slide more easily

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:35 PM »
 I sprayed mine with some wd40 after the first time out the poles started to stick, didnt happen at all today and it was cold out there.
Jason

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2005, 12:54 PM »
My trap Guide model started sticking on me so I used aluminum boat wax on the "guzinta" poles with the button. Now they slide slick as can be.
Tried the WD 40 but always wondered if the petroleum stink on my hands might transfer to the bait.
Just wish I could figure a way to keep the plastic windows from fogging up. Keep telling my buddy to quit breathing so much but he has a problem with this solution.
Never have it when I am alone but two in the shanty creates too much moisture.
Any ideas???
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:02 PM »
yesterday the windows on my Shappell cracked in a coupple places. Whats up with that!
Anthony

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:17 PM »
My trap Guide model started sticking on me so I used aluminum boat wax on the "guzinta" poles with the button. Now they slide slick as can be.
Tried the WD 40 but always wondered if the petroleum stink on my hands might transfer to the bait.
Just wish I could figure a way to keep the plastic windows from fogging up. Keep telling my buddy to quit breathing so much but he has a problem with this solution.
Never have it when I am alone but two in the shanty creates too much moisture.
Any ideas???

The wd-40 should attract more fish, there is a faction out there that use it as a fish attractant.
To keep the windows fog free, spray them with an anti-fog solution or Pam also works.
If all else fails, a small battery operated fan will do to circulate the air.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I have heard that about the WD being an attractant but then remember the time I got auger gas on my hands and never had a hit all day while my buddy stayed busy.
As soon as I had him bait my hooks I caught fish. Gas/petroleum, stinks up the fish and I believe it.
If the windows cracked due to cold, I would be in touch with the manufacturer.
My trap guide is three seasons and good as new.
I thought about pam and silicone spray but worry it will react with the clear plastic and permanently fog them up. The fan sounds like a plan and now if I could just find someone to carry all this extra stuff, batteries cords, generators and the like, I will be all set ???

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:30 PM »
You may be right about the silicone and Pam, but the anti-fog spray is the way to go. You can get it at any auto shop or vision shop. Fogging up is never a problem for me as I use no windows, dark is good!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:40 PM »
TJG, I have some of that stuff I swiped while in Nam. It was for my gas mask so I will give it a try and see if it works for the shanty. Thanks for the heads up. Use it all the time on my rifle scope and it does just fine there.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2005, 04:18 PM »
You may be right about the silicone and Pam, but the anti-fog spray is the way to go. You can get it at any auto shop or vision shop. Fogging up is never a problem for me as I use no windows, dark is good!

How can you see your tip-ups   ;)
Anthony

Offline jschoon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Never to COLD!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Does anyone read the instructions the come with products they buy????? The instructions that come with the clam 2000 clearly state to keep the poles waxed with car wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine has worked fine, never froze up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are anti fog sprays that work on the windows at gander mountain gun dept. used on scopes.
Keep safe, Hard water fishing, what a rush!
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. Ursula K. Guin

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:13 PM »
THANK YOU some of us did not get that instruction manual when you get a use item. Car wax it is  ;D

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:44 PM »
I just bought a Frabill last night,  they say not to spray anything on the poles but to use ski wax. Newoodhntr

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2005, 09:58 PM »
I guess any kind of wax or spray will do the trick but the best advice I can give is to set it up in the garage after a day of fishing and let the poles dry if you can.
The only time I ever get the problem is after the aluminum starts to oxidize from being closed wet and left closed.
The stuff I use is made by or for Starcraft aluminum boats and seems to work fine in keeping the oxidization in check. Drying it out is the best thing you could do for the aluminum and canvas IMHO.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2005, 06:04 PM »
call the Clam corp today and told them i was having trouble with poles but but was more worried about the bottom plastic cracking! The told me to cut out logo and mail in and they would send me another shanty i was so impressed that I forgot to ask anymore about pole!! TWO THUMBS UP CLAM Company!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.