Author Topic: Trout tips for under the ice  (Read 1070 times)

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout tips for under the ice
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forums and just started ice fishing this year really got into it. Been catch a lot of pickerel and perch and I caught a 3lb smallie the other day out on Plesant Lake in Deerfield. My technique I've been using a small no 2 bait hook with a small or medium sized shiner with 2 split shots about 6 inches up from the shiner and I've basically been dropping it down the hole all the way to bottom and once it hits I jig it up a bit every so often to maintain contact and I've usually produced fish. I really wanna get on some rainbows or lake trout and I was wondering if you guys have any tips on locating them under the ice I'd appreciate it

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trout tips for under the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:40 PM »
What type of trout are you going after?
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:48 PM »
According to the fish and game lake map there are Brooktrout and rainbow trout in that lake.
I'm pretty sure this time of year for brookies and rainbows cruise the shallows so you could fish the shallows with small shiners, smelt or salmon eggs. Just put a few salmon eggs on the hook and let them sit on the bottom.
There are all kinds of strategies for catching rainbows and brookies but that's about the simplest one...i'm talking about anywhere from 2 to 6 feet of water.
 You could even drill a hole in the ice in that shallow water and drop a few salmon eggs on the bottom...wait 15 or 20 minutes and go back and see if the eggs are missing and if they are put in a trap.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I'll do a crawler and an egg about a foot or two below the ice....I'll set my traps in a line varying depth from a foot to four feet below the ice. And I'll fish from twenty feet of water towards the shore
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:29 PM »
FYI, Use the search bar in the upper corner. You'll find all the info you ever need about trout fishing. The guys on here have covered everything at one time or another.
Good luck.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:55 AM »
According to the fish and game lake map there are Brooktrout and rainbow trout in that lake.
I'm pretty sure this time of year for brookies and rainbows cruise the shallows so you could fish the shallows with small shiners, smelt or salmon eggs. Just put a few salmon eggs on the hook and let them sit on the bottom.
There are all kinds of strategies for catching rainbows and brookies but that's about the simplest one...i'm talking about anywhere from 2 to 6 feet of water.
 You could even drill a hole in the ice in that shallow water and drop a few salmon eggs on the bottom...wait 15 or 20 minutes and go back and see if the eggs are missing and if they are put in a trap.
Thanks for the info

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Also, I believe trout prefer a sandy bottom as opposed to weedy.

Offline crileyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:01 AM »
I love Pleasant Lake in the summer, and it is beautiful in the winter.  However, I find it nearly impossible to catch fish there in the winter.  I have seen a couple of trout come up to the shallow areas over the years, and if you are going to catch one in the winter, the shallows are the best.  I spend whole days there with not even a bite.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I'll do a crawler and an egg about a foot or two below the ice....I'll set my traps in a line varying depth from a foot to four feet below the ice. And I'll fish from twenty feet of water towards the shore
Digs has the best information.  But I would consider a #2 hook too big and one small split shot would be better.
Dick

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:15 PM »
I live locally and although I don't fish Pleasant very often any more I have alot of experience fishing there.

One thing that is very important there is to keep in mind is to go small! Aside from a few of the Broodstock trout they throw in...the trout there only average 12-16" with some of the Broods going 20" and anything over is few and far between. Especially once they've been picked through and get used to the lake.

That being said... Fishing there You want to try to use small hooks size 10 or 12 with the biggest I'd go being an 8.

If using shiners for bait? Don't use anything over 3" if going for trout.  Many people will say they may get a couple flags but then the bait is dropped? That's usually because the bait/tackle being used is too big and if the fish feels anything unnatural or too much resistance they will drop it.

Go small. My preference there is size 10 or 12 hooks. 4-6lb fluorocarbon and No split shot! If you feel you need to add one? Go as small as possible and keep it at least 18-24" from the bait. Use salmon eggs or night crawlers for Rainbows (power bait will also work occasionally and is another option)
If using live bait... Use the smallest shiners you can find 2-3" tops. Also it will help to stay away from the crowds near the launch. Fish will come through there early and late in the day but easily get spooked out of the shallow water if it's noisy.
If trying deeper water? Fish a few lines a couple feet below the ice.

These tips should help produce a little better action there. Just keep in mind trout fishing is usually generally slow compared to warm water fisheries. Good Luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.