New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091837 times)

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Had a great day on some smaller lakes in Sullivan county.  As stated white was locked up when we went by, but looked thin. Toronto was the same locked up but looks thin. We fished in 4-5” on some smaller lakes. This warm up is not helping us at all. Got my biggest largemouth through ice today.  Tight lines out there!

Offline Axel2610

• IceShanty Rookie
I wonder if morningside has safe ice?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sheldrake is covered but didn’t look inviting

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas greeting to my fellow SENY Ice Shanty members.

Slabs247 congratulations on finding good ice in Sullivan county and catching a pb large mouth along with some crappies and yellow perch.

May these few day of highs in the forties not ruin what ice we have on lakes /ponds in our region.
  Steve

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Happy Holidays to all SENY ice fishing friends. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we’ll all be out on the hard water soon!
Tight lines to all!
Dave327

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Happy holidays all weathers not looking to be on our side next few days hopefully we have some ice soon

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just drove by Morningside and saw guys out fishing. No info on ice thickness or success but guys/gals were there.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Happy holidays to all fellow fisherman.  Thanks Mr. Clean. These temps are concerning for local ice. I will most likely venture  out Saturday into those same bodies of water I fished last weekend.  I’m worried about the shores thou. Be safe out there. Tight lines.   

Also does anyone from this group ever venture up to Oneida. I have never been and it was always on my mind. Is it Worth it?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Also does anyone from this group ever venture up to Oneida. I have never been and it was always on my mind. Is it Worth it?

Been up there a few times and yes its worth it.... if you get on the fish you can limit out in minutes then just fish perch the rest of the day

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where do you park and put in at Oneida? Name of town or boat launch to park at?
When you say get on the fish and limit out I am assuming you mean Lakers, correct?

Gam

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
Happy New Years to all the SENT Gang here on the Ice Shanty.
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
When you say get on the fish and limit out I am assuming you mean Lakers, correct?

Gam

Think they are referring to walleyes..there are several state launches/access north and south and west side ..Sylvan beach on the east and Apps tackle on the north side as well ..several private mariners are scattered all over I believe  ...The Onieda diehards thread is jammed packed with information ..good read from beginning to end ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Diehard thanks for the info. Hopefully I can make it up this year and mark it off the list.  Happy new year all.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Gam

http://www.oneidalake.com/fishing.php

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2012/06/shoreline_hot_spots.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Think they are referring to walleyes..there are several state launches/access north and south and west side ..Sylvan beach on the east and Apps tackle on the north side as well ..several private mariners are scattered all over I believe  ...The Onieda diehards thread is jammed packed with information ..good read from beginning to end ..
Reading through the pages of Schroon lake right now as I am headed there late Jan. Ice shanty is awesome for finding out info on a lake you want to try out. You even can get a feel for historically what is happing with a particular body of water.

Offline TK464PAPD

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice on NYC reservoirs. Thinking about giving it a shot over the weekend. Thanks ahead of time
TK

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
None of the NYC reservoirs are safe yet, some have or had areas with a very layer of thin skim ice but a lot of it has deteriorated.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Safe ice on morningside still or not that is the question any i put would be great thinking of heading up tomorrow but not wanting to make the drive if no safe

Offline jrock13

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished morningside yesterday. There was 5 inches of ice and probably about 15 guys out there.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sunday night here in Sullivan county we had heavy rain and above 30 degree temps all day Monday with more rain. All the snow that was in my yard is now gone so I would be very careful if heading to morningside this week. Safe ice is an opinion not shared by all in years such as this. Pray for a very cold snap that could freeze the water on the top of whatever ice there is and things will change quickly. I don't expect to see the big lakes set up for a while yet but Superior might be the first to get there. You could not get me on White or SB yet but I am sure there are brave souls pushing the envelope and measuring with a different tape than the one I use. Looking on the Oneida Die Hard thread and none of those lakes are even close yet. I can see the weather reports right out to next Monday and I don't yet see what we need in any of it. Like I said earlier in this thread, usually by around January 15th we can get out on some places but there have been many years they cancelled the February contests and this could be one of them unless the cold arrives PDQ.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Rain and 35 pretty much all day here

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Still a few lakes in area with 4-5” of clear black and onieda is opened back up already from wind I second the notion that this might not unfold to be a great ice year

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
The extended forecast around here looks terrible. I have bad feeling I won't get out at all this season. Maybe once or twice very late. Time to start jigging off the side of the boat I guess.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
The extended forecast around here looks terrible. I have bad feeling I won't get out at all this season. Maybe once or twice very late. Time to start jigging off the side of the boat I guess.

terrible feeling in my gut

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't give up so soon. I have been doing this for well over 50 years and have seen many winters get off to a slow start but not many where we didn't get safe ice at all. The big lakes further north are more prone to never setting up all winter if the open water remains and the winds keep it open. We just need a solid week of temps that stay below 20 and things will change quick.

Gam

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
It don't look good. Maybe drink pepto,  instead of beer tonight! Lol ???

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Last year got off to a rough start..this year seems similar ..always be safe and hit it hard when it begins again . Snow is the great enemy ..this year its predicted to be stormy ..not sure that means more snow overall or a lot of little storms .

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/KMSV/date/2019-1

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Last year got off to a rough start..this year seems similar ..always be safe and hit it hard when it begins again . Snow is the great enemy ..this year its predicted to be stormy ..not sure that means more snow overall or a lot of little storms .

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/KMSV/date/2019-1

Very interesting HD. Last January the average temps stayed down below the low 20s starting right around 1/10/2019. These temps for a solid week IMO are what we need to lock up the local bigger bodies of water. Low wind velocities would greatly assist until all the lakes have at least a top shim coat of ice. Once coated the winds would help with building thicker ice but not before. Heavy snow would be hurtful but rains coating the ice are fine as long as the temps stay low immediately after any rains. At one point last year we had thin ice but no open water and we got a few inches of snow on top. Then we got a day of warm rain immediately followed by low teens and single digit temps and finally had safe but glare ice. I fished White lake right then and it was ice skating paradise for a few days but only about 6-8 inches of the good black ice we needed. Toward the end of January and early February we had some sub zero days and great ice for the remainder of the season and I was ice fishing on the April 1st trout opening.
So far this year it seems to be following a similar pattern and as I said earlier in this thread I suspect we will have safe ice on most bodies toward mid January. Small ponds such as shallow farm ponds and Morningside already have guys fishing but I would not feel real safe on any of the larger lakes just yet. I do know some here are fine with just a few inches but that is sketchy because some spots could be thinner and it goes from safe to unsafe in just a few feet. Last year some jackwagon tried getting on White from the public launch, not sure if just a machine or a vehicle but he went through for sure. Toronto was a complete disaster at the dam side launch as was SB because of the rise and fall of water levels by the power company. I did not trust the Moscoe road launch on Toronto because of the stream currents coming in until later in the season. I actually think this is a pretty normal winter so far. It is great to have early safe ice around Christmas but that only really happens every few years around here. I grew up fishing Masten Lake back in the early 1960s and some Christmas breaks from school we could fish but most not. I will admit there has been some climatic changes over all these years. It has been a long time since I saw 24 inches of ice around here but as a kid in the 60s and cutting holes with a spud we had that thick ice a few years.
Right now, Jan. 2, 2020 at my house in Forestburgh the temp says 45 and I am heading out to check a few of my usual spots but don't expect to find what I would like to see.

Gam

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good luck & stay on Top. Walt

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Guys were fishing that little pond across from Wal Mart in Monticello yesterday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.