Author Topic: What is your favorite feature in an ice suit?  (Read 4453 times)

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
What is your favorite feature in an ice suit?
« on: Sep 26, 2022, 09:06 AM »
We are always looking to add the features you want in our Ice Suits. So, we want to hear from you... what is your favorite feature (or a feature you wish you had) in an ice fishing suit? Other than being warm, of course... ;)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What is your favorite feature in an ice suit?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2022, 09:50 AM »
Good, well placed vents. Wasn't something I considered either way when I was shopping for a suit but find myself using them a lot.

My current suit has a D-ring with a clip on the inside of the jacket. Very useful for keeping keys where I can find them when it's time to leave.

A pocket inside the jacket large enough for my phone. Deep enough that it won't fall out or with a velcro tab. Current suit is OK, but my old one wasn't a big enough pocket. If I put my phone in an outside pocket, sometimes it gets cold enough to drain the battery down.

Not sure what the solution is, but would be nice to have some kind of inside pocket in the bibs or jacket to hold my auger battery to keep it warm when I'm set up for a while/not moving around.

Magnetic storm flaps are nice.

My current suit has built in retractable lanyards on the bibs and jacket. I use those every time I'm out with my hook remover (cold snap).

Knee pads are a must, the pads in the rear end I could take or leave.

I don't like the double zipper my jacket has now. Sometimes it's hard to get the zipper started, would rather it just be a regular zipper.

Removable hood is another one I didn't think about too much when I was buying my last suit, but I do use the feature quite a bit.

One feature I think is a must is to have good heavy duty loops for hanging the suit up. Especially on the bibs, like on the back up high.

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2022, 09:59 AM »
This is great info! Can I ask what is your current suit?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:01 AM »
I do not have a favorite suit because there are things i dislike on all of my suits.but a suit with suspenders that stay put would be nice.i have pretty big shoulders and the suspenders are always falling off or coming loose.thats kind of why my favorite suit is a remington one piece suit but that lacks waterproofing.i think striker is overpriced and the sewing is not great and my ice runner suit is to tight fitting in 3x when all my other 3x suits fit great.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:15 AM »
1) X2 on the magnetic flaps. Less zippers on pockets the better for me.

2) The velcro "tabs" on the legs are unnecessary too. PIA sometimes  Zipper is good enough.

3) Waterproof...waterproo f...waterproof. Did I say waterproof?  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:20 AM »
Larger slash pockets on both the bibs and jacket ..most are too small with a gloved hand. magnets as opposed to velco on all closures ... inside pocket on the bib/jacket for larger smart phones with a secure closure. I so like the small sleeve pockets on the SI suits ...great for my license,bait receipts and car keys .

Not so much a bib/jacket/suit feature ...but a hoodie with a high chested pass through kangoroo pocket with an secure interior  pocket for a rechargable hand warmer/cell phone pocket...for me this would be the cats meow ...and you can take my money. Most of us hardly wear out suit jackets...a hoodie is a staple ...and oversized hoodie to accomadate layering gets my vote .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:35 AM »
This is great info! Can I ask what is your current suit?

Right now I have the Ice Armor Ascent. Not the current version, the version before they redesigned it a couple seasons ago.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:38 AM »

Not so much a bib/jacket/suit feature ...but a hoodie with a high chested pass through kangoroo pocket with an secure interior  pocket for a rechargable hand warmer/cell phone pocket...for me this would be the cats meow ...and you can take my money. Most of us hardly wear out suit jackets...a hoodie is a staple ...and oversized hoodie to accomadate layering gets my vote .

This would be a nice addition. Something breathable and windproof. I would wear my jacket less days if I had one of these, Eskimo bibjak is pretty close, but haven't seen one in person yet.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Windrider..You guys have us covered… ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2022, 10:58 AM »
1. Magnetic closures on the zippers - keeps the flap over the zipper closed
2. Reinforced knee pads are a must - we always end up on our knees at some point, and some guys fish exclusively outside kneeing next to their holes, so good pads are a must
3. Internal gator on the bottom of the bibs to keep water off the boots. 
4. Quality zippers are a must - last thing I want to see is spending $$$ on the bibs and jacket and have the zipper fail
5. Oversized pockets to insert jig boxes.  Closures on the pockets can be hook/loop or velcro - thats enough to allow me to get to the contents
6. Good venting on the jacket and bibs
7. Non bulky insulation; most will wear a hoodie underneath the jacket or bibs and have other undergarments to keep cold and moisture out
8. Waterproof material
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2022, 12:01 PM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2022, 12:06 PM »
I do not have a favorite suit because there are things i dislike on all of my suits.but a suit with suspenders that stay put would be nice.i have pretty big shoulders and the suspenders are always falling off or coming loose.thats kind of why my favorite suit is a remington one piece suit but that lacks waterproofing.i think striker is overpriced and the sewing is not great and my ice runner suit is to tight fitting in 3x when all my other 3x suits fit great.

Interesting - what kind of material are the suspenders made of that stay tight for you?

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2022, 12:06 PM »
Windrider..You guys have us covered… ;D

You betcha :)

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2022, 12:08 PM »
1. Magnetic closures on the zippers - keeps the flap over the zipper closed
2. Reinforced knee pads are a must - we always end up on our knees at some point, and some guys fish exclusively outside kneeing next to their holes, so good pads are a must
3. Internal gator on the bottom of the bibs to keep water off the boots. 
4. Quality zippers are a must - last thing I want to see is spending $$$ on the bibs and jacket and have the zipper fail
5. Oversized pockets to insert jig boxes.  Closures on the pockets can be hook/loop or velcro - thats enough to allow me to get to the contents
6. Good venting on the jacket and bibs
7. Non bulky insulation; most will wear a hoodie underneath the jacket or bibs and have other undergarments to keep cold and moisture out
8. Waterproof material

Great stuff to have... sounds like magnetic closures are what a lot of people want

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2022, 12:10 PM »
Larger slash pockets on both the bibs and jacket ..most are too small with a gloved hand. magnets as opposed to velco on all closures ... inside pocket on the bib/jacket for larger smart phones with a secure closure. I so like the small sleeve pockets on the SI suits ...great for my license,bait receipts and car keys .

Oh I like that hoodie idea!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Agreed on a "tactical" style hoodie... Lots of zippered pockets but still just a hoodie. Like mentioned above, I too rarely wear my coat unless it's really cold. Don't think I've ever been ice fishing without a hoodie on though.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Great stuff to have... sounds like magnetic closures are what a lot of people want

Velcro hate the wet and the cold.

Oh I like that hoodie idea!

Mock one up and send it my way for some etreme Beta testing ...I do prefer black  :whistle: ;)2

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Agreed on a "tactical" style hoodie... Lots of zippered pockets but still just a hoodie. Like mentioned above, I too rarely wear my coat unless it's really cold. Don't think I've ever been ice fishing without a hoodie on though.

Question about this - are you guys typically fishing with or without a pop-up/ice house with a heater or hole jumping outside? I can definitely see the hooded being good in a shelter but was curious if you're wearing them outside too. I suppose it depends on the day/sun conditions.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2022, 02:35 PM »
I run and gun enough to keep warm in just a hoodie,carhartt brand and i only wear a hoodie in a shelter too.i have not wore my jacket in many years now.but it doesnt get all that cold in Michigan.a waterproof warm hoodie would be nice.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Question about this - are you guys typically fishing with or without a pop-up/ice house with a heater or hole jumping outside? I can definitely see the hooded being good in a shelter but was curious if you're wearing them outside too. I suppose it depends on the day/sun conditions.

I'm probably 50/50 in and out of the shack, and I'm good with a nice hoodie all day unless the temps are nearing zero which doesn't really happen too often in NH. I'd even be pumped about a good heavyweight hoodie that had a zipper on either side of the standard pouch/pocket...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Lots of good stuff mentioned.  I am very happy with SI Climate Jacket and Hardwater bibs.  I like the wire in the brim of the hood so the hood stands up leaving an air gap between the hood and my head so it does not get sweaty.  Slash pockets in the bib that gives access to my inner pant pockets. The removable liner in the climate jacket often I just wear the outer jacket, sometimes just the inner and some times wear the whole thing.  I like the heavy duty cordura of the hardwater bibs.  I do not like lined bibs as I like to wear bibs in the spring when it is wet and warm.  I can always add layers under the bibs when it is cold.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2022, 05:54 PM »
I run and gun enough to keep warm in just a hoodie,carhartt brand and i only wear a hoodie in a shelter too.i have not wore my jacket in many years now.but it doesnt get all that cold in Michigan.a waterproof warm hoodie would be nice.

X2, if it's really cold I'll set up the shack, but only use a hoodie in there.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 26, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Without a doubt magnets instead of velcro, hoodie 98% of the time except on extremely cold/windy days and while on snowmobile to and from

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Sep 26, 2022, 07:12 PM »

On most days you position yourself out of the wind ... but if its a basin bite ...you have to fish the basin regardless of wind ..most  days in my area I can fish with  good hoddie ...other days a good hoodie and a jacket ... other days got to be in the flip or hub . The hoodie needs great construction ...performance fabric w/warmth .. 3 panel hood ... if you added some zip side chest pocket ..as well as the high chest pocket ..its a winner . Unique in design ...

Offline blackshirt7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 26, 2022, 08:00 PM »
Agree with previous posts about knee pads and inside pockets.

I like the way the hoodie conversation is going…I wear the bibjack almost every time I go out and often wish the whole thing was windproof. A high quality windproof hoodie with zippered pockets in addition to the “kangaroo pocket” is something I would be interested in, I searched high and low for a true windproof hoodie last year before buying the bibjack.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Lightweight, flexibility and warmth... but an easy accessible bait puck pocket just inside the top of the bibs.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2022, 07:34 AM »
A large cellphone pocket, large internal battery pocket, bait puck pocket and removable hood.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 27, 2022, 08:14 AM »
If you make a hoodie or jacket include a pocket over the heart for hand warmers

I haven't worn a coat ice fishing in over 5 years - always layer up and wear a nice thick hoodie, sherpa lined jacket, or simms waterproof hoodie/jacket

Bibs, make them flexible as can be with great ventilation. Sometimes I don't even put on my bibs until arriving at a spot because they're too hot to wear during the hike out and have 0 ventilation. The number one function of bibs should be to keep you dry

Catchin' Fish

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Sep 27, 2022, 09:13 AM »

,   zip out bib with adjustable waste to make pants ,adjustable inseam , magnetic storm flaps , 1600 denier seat and knees
 Zip out jacket liner to use jacket as a rain parka or warmer temps  , inside jacket and liner pockets
 Zipper air vents , D ring , water proof

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #29 on: Sep 27, 2022, 12:23 PM »
I see many like magnetic type of closure/flap, please offer non-magnetic option for those who have a CRT-D, a cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillator or similar device.  ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.