Author Topic: LX7 issues  (Read 10649 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LX7 issues
« on: Jan 23, 2016, 06:02 PM »
So my first issue which I think loose battery terminals is that the unit completely shuts off when I hit the side of the unit or set the unit down too hard. Dead......then when I turn it on my settings are all gone. It gets changed to max sensitivity and open water mode.....huh?????

Next is this ghosting I'm seeing constantly. I tried every setting imaginable buy whenever I would drop a jig down it would leave this ghost looking stuff all around the jig. My screen just lights up and it stays green and yellow for a good 10 or 15 seconds before finally disappearing. I know it's not ice on my lube because it is stationary 100% of the time even when I move my line.

Anyone know what's going on here? Do I just have a bad unit or what?

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LX7 issues
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Trade it in and get a FLX 28!

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Ohhhhh boy......here we go.......
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2016, 06:15 PM »
sounds like the gain is way too high! when you can see all of that extra when you sink a jig its up too high. try it half way up on the gain instead and use narrow beam if fishing more than 20 feet of water.
if you can hit it and get it to work it's a loose connection. if the connections are good even in the back of the unit it may be a loose internal connection.
you do want open water mode tho.
only keep an inch in of the puck the water and centered in the hole.

here's more on how to use one.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319913.0

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2016, 06:50 PM »
J/k. Somebody did that to my vex chat once! Had to try it! Lol. To each his own!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:25 PM »
sounds like the gain is way too high! when you can see all of that extra when you sink a jig its up too high. try it half way up on the gain instead and use narrow beam if fishing more than 20 feet of water.
if you can hit it and get it to work it's a loose connection. if the connections are good even in the back of the unit it may be a loose internal connection.
you do want open water mode tho.
only keep an inch in of the puck the water and centered in the hole.

here's more on how to use one.
Gain settings at 3 and 4 still did it in open and ice mode....

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Honestly vt send it back to marcum. Or contact them. I had an earlier lx7 than you and had zero tech issues. Only problem I had was loose terminals, which was an easy fix. My buddy now has that unit and still no issues.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:05 PM »
try a reset. you say it was glitching, might have it jacked.

if you can't figure it out-
 toll free number is 888-778-1208

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2016, 05:11 AM »
The unit can be extremely sensitive.  Sometimes when I hook a fish on a muddy bottom I get a big bloom on the screen from the mud being kicked up.  I've also had ghosts from ice on braided line.  But I've learned and I absolutely love the unit.  Makes fishing so much more fun.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:47 PM »
I clamped the cap out of the terminals today and it didn't shut off on me at all. Still had the annoying ghosting thing going on every time I would drop down a new hole. I know it wasn't mud because it happened on the way down. Hated having to wait for my screen to clear up to see what was really down there.

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:55 PM »
Honestly vt send it back to marcum. Or contact them. I had an earlier lx7 than you and had zero tech issues. Only problem I had was loose terminals, which was an easy fix. My buddy now has that unit and still no issues.
you say that you had a lx7. Do you still?

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:58 PM »
you say that you had a lx7. Do you still?
No. Sold it to my buddy. I needed  $ for a move. He won't sell it back
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2016, 11:37 PM »
I think if my problem isn't solved after the update I may send it in and have them look at it. Really not wanting to go without a flasher during that time though....

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:37 AM »
Did get it from a local shop? Bonus from one of our local shops they have loners if you bought it from them while it's getting fixed. Pretty cool plus imo!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:09 AM »
Did get it from a local shop? Bonus from one of our local shops they have loners if you bought it from them while it's getting fixed. Pretty cool plus imo!

Ordered from Glens online..

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2016, 04:25 AM »
I clamped the cap out of the terminals today and it didn't shut off on me at all. Still had the annoying ghosting thing going on every time I would drop down a new hole. I know it wasn't mud because it happened on the way down. Hated having to wait for my screen to clear up to see what was really down there.

Possible it's stuff in the ice (dirt, algae) which falls out and is sensed by the unit.  I have had that happen too, and it usually stops after a few minutes.  It might help to drill holes a few ahead, and then by the time you get over to fish them the stuff will have settled.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:32 AM »
Possible it's stuff in the ice (dirt, algae) which falls out and is sensed by the unit.  I have had that happen too, and it usually stops after a few minutes.  It might help to drill holes a few ahead, and then by the time you get over to fish them the stuff will have settled.

It is not that. It ONLY shows on my screen when I drop my jig down and then when I first lift it.  Old holes or new holes it didn't matter. I pounced rhe bottom and made a huge mud cloud yesterday and the flasher didn't mark a thing.  I'm just dumbfounded at this point. I have also seen the triangular glitches in my screen the last few days that has to do with the range settings. I ended up using manual most of the time to avoid it  Again, I shouldn't have to miss out on features that this unit is supposed to have just to avoid bugs in the software.....right?  If I could get a refund from Glens then I probably would but it's been a little over a year so I highly doubt that.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:05 AM »
I know your struggles. I've had issues with mine since day 1. The triangle glitch, the ghost return after a good hook set. Most annoyingly is the constant flashing on the column view and column zoom view. For a company to sell a unit that is up-gradable, it's that we have waited 2 years for them to release an update to fix these stupid problems.
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:08 AM »
Not sure this applies to your Marum woes

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:14 AM »

that was interesting ,I did not know that.thanks for sharing

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:51 AM »

I've read up on that.  While I have seen what is described in the video, I have the issue even when it's above freezing while using 4 lb mono. I don't run braid on any of my panfish reels.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Also when hole hopping ...and you get some wonky readings ...just turn the unit off and on again ...especially if your using bottom zoom ...fixes a lot of stuff.

I've read up on that.  While I have seen what is described in the video, I have the issue even when it's above freezing while using 4 lb mono. I don't run braid on any of my panfish reels.

Could be the curls in your line ...as you letting it drop/feeding it down ...you do have the latest up date I am assuming
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Also when hole hopping ...and you get some wonky readings ...just turn the unit off and on again ...especially if your using bottom zoom ...fixes a lot of stuff.

Could be the curls in your line ...as you letting it drop/feeding it down ...you do have the latest up date I am assuming

Appears when my jig drops fast and when I pull it up fast.  Hole hopping and turning the flasher on and off every time is kind of counterproductive IMO. The latest update?  The one from 2014?  Haha yes I got it on day one.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:46 AM »
there are a lot of unanswered questions here.
is it under warranty?
is this a used unit?
did you reset it?
did you check your transducer cable for cuts?
did you drop the transducer ever?
is it cracked?
have you shaken it to listen for noise?
did you check the connections and cables behind the head unit?
is the battery new or in good shape and charged?
are you fishing it like macums manual says to do?
did you call marcum? that's free and your best option always. we try to help here, but they are the experts.

hope you get it figured out. the power issues you mention leads me to believe it may have hurt the sonar engine or software tho. one problem leads to another many times.
a reset or firmware reinstall may fix it. that's also free and easy to try and only take a moment to do.

you said you upgraded the firmware from day one. did that go correctly? why didn't it have the current fimware when you bought it?

you sure have bad luck with ice gear. this and your new hut. hope some thing goes well for you some time soon.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:58 AM »
there are a lot of unanswered questions here.
is it under warranty?
is this a used unit?
did you reset it?
did you check your transducer cable for cuts?
did you drop the transducer ever?
is it cracked?
have you shaken it to listen for noise?
did you check the connections and cables behind the head unit?
is the battery new or in good shape and charged?
are you fishing it like macums manual says to do?
did you call marcum? that's free and your best option always. we try to help here, but they are the experts.

hope you get it figured out. the power issues you mention leads me to believe it may have hurt the sonar engine or software tho. one problem leads to another many times.
a reset or firmware reinstall may fix it. that's also free and easy to try and only take a moment to do.

you said you upgraded the firmware from day one. did that go correctly? why didn't it have the current fimware when you bought it?

you sure have bad luck with ice gear. this and your new hut. hope some thing goes well for you some time soon.

Brand new unit. I have never dropped it and don't put it in the hole low enough to wrap line around the ducer cable. I have reset it but have not reinstalled the firmware.  I emailed marcum about small chips in the epoxy coating on the ducer just days after the first use. The coating was flaky looking and I pulled two small pieces off with my fingernail. Marcum said it would not affect performance. This is under warranty of course but a flasher with issues is better than no flasher for weeks. I am continuously trying different things while I'm out on the ice but can't ever get it to run consistently good.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:07 AM »
What are settings are you using on the marcum?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:11 AM »

My LX-5 will do this too.
It is ice on the line and lure being picked up by the finder.
Usually takes a couple of minutes to disappear.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:19 AM »
okay.
i wish i lived closer to see if it's setting or needs to go in for what ever the power issues may have caused or not. i would like to help more is what i'm saying.
if you do send it in. it takes 10 days start to finish. it takes one day in the shop is all. if you want to expedite any of that shipping time you can pay the extra to have it back in 5 days or less. otherwise it's all free.
i have an extra transducer i would try to narrow it down, but all of this time trying to figure it out could be time in the usps truck or ups or fedex.

here's some suggestions i posted for getting them dialed in

i know i can get a sonar to follow the air or disturbance caused by the jig if the gain is too high even on my ice-55 hb.
i keep just an inch in the water and it works the same as all of the way under the ice plate, so there's no need to put more in the water than an inch. i pulled over 30 fish out the same hole my marcum transducer was in with out having to move the transducer at all fishing it it this way. it' makes catching fish all the more easier to land them. not one time was a worried a fish line would get caught on the transducer cable. it only had about 2-3 inches of cable exposed at any one time. it keeps the puck centered so it's not leaning on the ice and you having to turn up the gain to try to find your jig because of it. the arm and the just wet puck is great and it's one of the things i like a lot about marum's ingenuity.

if your using a scent to attract fish that's like oil base it will do that too.
try reflashing the firmware first. that's what i would do if it were me. it boots just like a computer and it may have corrupted data on it from bad power connectors.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Your first post mentioned the unit shutting off ...has that issued been resolved ?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:51 PM »
okay.
i wish i lived closer to see if it's setting or needs to go in for what ever the power issues may have caused or not. i would like to help more is what i'm saying.
if you do send it in. it takes 10 days start to finish. it takes one day in the shop is all. if you want to expedite any of that shipping time you can pay the extra to have it back in 5 days or less. otherwise it's all free.
i have an extra transducer i would try to narrow it down, but all of this time trying to figure it out could be time in the usps truck or ups or fedex.

here's some suggestions i posted for getting them dialed in

i know i can get a sonar to follow the air or disturbance caused by the jig if the gain is too high even on my ice-55 hb.
i keep just an inch in the water and it works the same as all of the way under the ice plate, so there's no need to put more in the water than an inch. i pulled over 30 fish out the same hole my marcum transducer was in with out having to move the transducer at all fishing it it this way. it' makes catching fish all the more easier to land them. not one time was a worried a fish line would get caught on the transducer cable. it only had about 2-3 inches of cable exposed at any one time. it keeps the puck centered so it's not leaning on the ice and you having to turn up the gain to try to find your jig because of it. the arm and the just wet puck is great and it's one of the things i like a lot about marum's ingenuity.

if your using a scent to attract fish that's like oil base it will do that too.
try reflashing the firmware first. that's what i would do if it were me. it boots just like a computer and it may have corrupted data on it from bad power connectors.

No scent used and I barely drop the ducer below water  when fishing. I will wait for the firmware that is supposed to be coming and go from there. I hope the shutting off is fixed. I clamped the connections hard so if it still does it then it must be internal. I forgot to mention the charger the LX7 came with capped out on me in a month. Luckily I have a battery tender but I shot Marcum an email and explained what happened and instead of sending me one they redirected me to the warranty claim into. I know that's standard procedure but I was half expecting them to say sorry for your trouble we are sending you a new one. Maybe I am used to other types of customer service in the fishing industry I guess...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.