Author Topic: Best Bibs on the market  (Read 11516 times)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Bibs on the market
« Reply #60 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:14 PM »
I'm happy with my mossi mantis floating bibs so far - getting them for $50 from sportsmans guide was my best buy of the season for sure

Catchin' Fish

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Though this thread specifically says "Bibs", has anyone used Mustang suit?   I am new to this and want something USCG approved for boat fishing in cold weather also.  I'd love to hear from those who have worn Mustang flotation suit both pros and cons.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:34 PM »
CVG................... I have worn many different Mustang flotation suits as I worked for many years offshore in Alaska. Pros....... As good as it gets for flotation..... Great wind protection and cold protection. Great abrasion resistant outer nylon shell., Usually have a good integral hood on jackets or coveralls, adjustable cuffs,   High visibility if you like that. Great fit................... ......   //  Cons...... Cost. no removable layer or liner so too warm quite often.  Have not seen any with zippered legs so boots need to be removed to put on and take off. If you plan on doing much moving around on foot I would not choose mustang. They build there suits for survival, not for activity. Like you have seen on here; Striker is everything you need and more. Look at the Climate and Hard water series. You will be happy with either one.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:37 PM »
I do a lot of cold weather boating also and the striker suit is great for that with lots of freedom of movement. If you want the Coast Guard grade I would recommend wearing a pair of Mustang SOS over your Striker jacket.

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:49 AM »
rkymtnfisher

Thanks for your reply.   I will be on foot on the ice.  Is the mustang suit restrictive when it comes to walking/bending?   I wondered about over heating.

Mustang SOS?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:37 AM »
rkymtnfisher

Thanks for your reply.   I will be on foot on the ice.  Is the mustang suit restrictive when it comes to walking/bending?   I wondered about over heating.

Mustang SOS?

I've worn the Mustang work suit, and yes... it's fairly restrictive... and heavy... and bulky. You feel like the Michelin man when you have it on, or at least I did. The suit is also very warm and it's easy to become overheated when being active.

The difference between the old Mustang suit and the newer lighter suits are night and day with the new suits being so much lighter, thinner, and not bulky at all.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2016, 12:52 PM »
I've worn the Mustang work suit, and yes... it's fairly restrictive... and heavy... and bulky. You feel like the Michelin man when you have it on, or at least I did. The suit is also very warm and it's easy to become overheated when being active.

The difference between the old Mustang suit and the newer lighter suits are night and day with the new suits being so much lighter, thinner, and not bulky at all.

Is the one you wore the newer suit or the old style?  I can't find them here to try on and hate to go through the return thing if it doesn't sit the purpose.  I'm retired and on a budget so the Mustang price is ok but much more is a strain. Also liked that it is approved for on boat.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 23, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Is the one you wore the newer suit or the old style?  I can't find them here to try on and hate to go through the return thing if it doesn't sit the purpose.  I'm retired and on a budget so the Mustang price is ok but much more is a strain. Also liked that it is approved for on boat.

The one I wore looked like this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/mustang-survival-reg-anti-expos-work-suit/1803127.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfloatation%252Bsuit%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=floatation+suit

But it was about 10 yrs. ago and I'm not sure if they're the same now. The product decription on the above suit say it has closed cell foam and the one I wore didn't feel like a closed cell foam suit.

I have the Artic Armor suit and I mainly use it for fishing on a boat in the winter over 37*F water. I'm not really concerned if it's USCG rated or not, just as long as it floats my dumb butt if I fall overboard. I installed a ladder on the transom of my boat so all I have to do is float/swim to the back of the boat to get out of the water. My avatar pic is the suit I wear and the pic was taken while fishing on a boat in the winter.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 23, 2016, 03:29 PM »
Wish Artic Armor was CG approved.  NY requires PFD during Nov-May.   That is why I was considering Mustang suit.  May have to re-think all this.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 23, 2016, 03:44 PM »

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 23, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Have a suspenders PFD.   Guess the AA suit will be the way to go.   Thanks!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Love my Striker Lites, but the crotch keeps blowing out.....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:23 PM »
                    Send them back they will fix them for free, much better after fixed and reinforced!!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:36 PM »
ok stupid question what do you guys wear under the bibs, I hate wearing jeans. The older I get it kills my waste. Do you wear base layer and then bibs or other

I need something with pockets and that I can abuse and not worry about wiping fish hands on them.

Offline John2448

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta be the bait
« Reply #74 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Shorts like I did today shoveling 30+ inches of snow

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I tried.  They gave me the line that they are only supposed to last so long......

I LOVE them, but the CS not so much....

I sewed them myself, and they are still going.  Ive been out in -10 (very cold in my area), and have not been cold with moderate insulation underneath.  Today was 10 deg F, and all I wore were jeans, and a cotton henley with a cotton sweatshirt.  I wasn't cold.  I actually sweated, so that is a bad thing with cotton.  I was only out for a few hours, so it was OK.  I walked back to my car and drove home.  With fleece and the good stuff, Ive camped overnight on the ice.

At -10, my friends were been FREEZING!.  I built a fire and set up tents for them, and stayed outside.  This is with the matching jacket.  My heavy weight Carhartt's were no match on days like this (I tried before I bought,  Im too cheap to do otherwise).  These things rock.  The heavier weight models have to be awesome if you need them.  Just keep the crotch pretty tight or it rips open. 

I have a 34 inch inseam and a 36 inch waist, and the 2xl are perfect.  The length is adjustable. 

Good luck, hope this helps.

Kb

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Artic Armor VS Striker is now the question.   If you have seen or used both which is better in your opinion and why?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:10 PM »

Quit eating beans!

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Ordered my striker ice hard water bibs Friday. I hope they are here in time to wear them out Saturday!! Can't wait

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Underneath I wear a base layer, then an insulating layer, then my bibs.  For really bad days, Ill toss a extra layer on.  Once you break the wind (like skiing), it doesnt take much to keep warm if you are active. 

NO COTTON!  You need something that insulates when its moist or wet.  Fleece works great IMHO.  Your drilling holes and walking after all.....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Quit eating beans!

I could go down the 'rabbit' hole on this one, but this is a family forum......  HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Ordered my striker ice hard water bibs Friday. I hope they are here in time to wear them out Saturday!! Can't wait

IMHO, your going to love them.  Im sure that the competing brands are just as good too. 

Good luck.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:53 PM »
I tried on a pair of the Sriker Predator bibs today size large and they seemed like they were huge. I am 5'10" and 185 lbs. Hate to go with a medium.

Do they run big so you have room to move around in

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:05 PM »
I ordered the Striker Hard Water coat and bibs.  Now to figure out what to wear under them!

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:11 PM »
You're going to love those striker hardwaters. I've had mine for a couple weeks and can't believe I didn't buy them sooner. They are fantastic. If it's warm, you can just wear a base layer and jeans. You can add a wool shirt or fleece lined with that suit and it will take you down to zero. Below zero, add a wool sweater and you'll never be cold (and I get cold easily). The hood up and back to the wind you're as warm as if in a shack, except for your jigging hand!
Fantastic suit. Can't stop marveling at it.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:17 PM »
I ordered the Striker Hard Water coat and bibs.  Now to figure out what to wear under them!
             Very little, the hardwater suit is for extreme weather and cold!!  I just wear jeans, no long johns under, expecially last year when very cold, and windy!  Everyone is different, poor circulation ect!!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:23 PM »
I have both a Mustang floater Snowmobile suit and an Arctic Armor Floatation suit for ice fishing. I have had the AA for 6 years and its lightweight, too warm at times and flaots you with not a problem. HD zippers and fasteners. Would buy another in a minute. Here in NY when I am on the water uring the Winter I use my AA with an inflatable Mustang PFD.Hardly know its on you.

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Gills,   I was hoping that was the case.  Guess I'll have to try them out with ordinary clothes and go from there.  I have mickey boots, wool socks, and glacier gloves.  Mostly plan on fishing bays at the east end of Lake Ontario which are very windy/cold and on Black Lake.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:27 PM »
I need a little help and guidance gentleman I am looking to buy some new ice fishing Bibs and was wondering which are the best on the market.  ANy help would be awesome.  Thank you in advance.
I went with the Hardwater 2 yrs. ago Absolutely love em.  I'm 5' 10" 185 lb.  I bought a large but medium would have been ok I think.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:51 AM »
All this Striker praise has me excited to get my Hardwater suit this week!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.